Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excluding Programs from On-Access Scan

kedscorn Guest

Default Excluding Programs from On-Access Scan

Is there a way to exclude a particular program from on-access scanning?
    We have a data-base church-management program that has become very slow since we have begun to use ZA Security Suite and particularly the Anti-Virus function. It takes more than a minute for the program to just load to the log-in point, and some other functions have greatly slowed too. I have narrowed the problem to the on-access scans (when turned off, the program loads and functions quickly).
    We had a similar problem with Norton, but they provided a way to exclude individual programs from their "real-time scans." However, I do not see a way to do so with ZA. The program is not being identified as a virus, so the "Exclude suspected extended data-base items from scans" does not work.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Excluding Programs from On-Access Scan

Hi!
    nope, as fas as I know its not possible.

Sorry,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

ebonydog Guest

Hi fax,

How do we go about suggesting this as a feature. I have a binary usenet downloader that is greatly hindered, by scanning of the encoded chunks of data being processed, when only the final joined, unencoded data needs be scanned. I also can see this hindering games, if it scans the same sound, data and graphics files over and over while "your being chased by a troll", etc. Most on-access scanners, including the full Kaspersky product, have a method to exclude objects from on-access scan.

Hi!next version of ZA will have the option of excluding files/folder from the 'on access' scanning.This versionis currently on BETA testing (www.zonealarm.com/beta). No ETA when it will be released.Cheers,Fax

ebonydog Guest

Thanks a bunch for the information fax !

You're welcome!Cheers,Fax

stenis Guest

I guess somebody just never is satisfied...

I installed the latest version of ZA today (version 7.5). I've also had the problem of the original author, but in a slightly different scenario; it is during development / build of large (bordering on huge) software projects.

Having the on-access scanner interefering with this process is simply unacceptable, I've resorted to simply disabling the on-access scanner.

The feature for difining exceptions to the on-access scanner does have one nasty flaw though. Luckily it is a well-documented flaw, mentioned in every relevant help file and in the GUI itself: "You cannot exclude a folder and all its subfolders".

That is, you have to define every single subfolder that need to be excluded. Which in my case makes the feature useless, since there are hundreds of folders to exclude.

Why not re-use the fine tree-structure that is used for defining scan targets? That was what I would have expected of this very nice product.

One more thing... it is actually possible to exclude entire directories!! So why not include the possibility of excluding folders AND subfolders?

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
    Steinar

Hi!

thank you for the suggestions... as you may be aware, ZA staff does not monitor this board, we are all users here.
    If you want to target ZA staff please write them directly (www.zonealarm.com/tsform)

I guess there are some technical limitations of the KAV SDK antivirus engine they are using (in ZASS and ZAAV) that does not allow the exclusion of directories and sub directories at the same time.

Cheers,
    Fax

kedscorn Guest

I downloaded and installed ZA Security Suite 8.0 this morning. Fortunately, the affected programs were all within a couple of folders, which I excluded. Now, I'm back to a whizzing computer! Yeah!

Steinar, I wonder if a possible solution would be to create a new directory, and move all your affected programs to that one, then exclude it. In our case, many of the affected files were on a network directory (Y, which made it easy for us.

gregharkins Guest

I to have had the issue of on-access scanning...i had to disable it to get my HP 4200 printer to work with out a 30 second delay or longer.
    this is a bad issue they really need to address

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information