Thread: ZAPv6.5 - Conflicts with NAV2008

jeb Guest

Default ZAPv6.5 - Conflicts with NAV2008

Hello all,
    I'm sure this issue had been written about before and addressed, but I was not able to find any posts, so I appolize if it was and ask your indulgence.
    If it was address before, please let me know where the post is located...
    I"m running the following:WinXP ProZAP 6.5NAV 2008
    I've been a long time ZAP and Symantec Systemworks user (last Systemworks
    was 2004).
    In late 2006 or early 2007 (I don't remember when) I got
    NAV 2007 free with a puchase of another software product.
    I didn't install it until early in 2008 after a fresh rebuild.
    But after installing NAV 2007,
    I
    had nothing but problems, all related to how it didn't want to play nice with ZAP.
    After dealing with Symantec for many months, they finally gave up, and sent me NAV 2008 to install.
    After I installed it, it ran fine without any problems for about three months.
    But for some reason after an update (through NAV), all of a sudden, I get this "RISK" warning about my "ADVANCED FIREWALL".
    BUT nothing to tell me how to fix it.
    And after about half dozen sessions with the Symantec onlline support, I've given up on them for a fix.
    I know,
    right now your saying why am I asking about a Symantec product on a ZoneAlarm forum??
    Because from the support information
    on the Symantec website, the
    "Risk issue"
    has to do with ZAP, not NAV.
    Although I DO NOT agree with this assessment, since I can't to get it resolved through Symantec (everytime I run thier 360 support from the website, it tells me I don't have any problems!!
    Go figure!).
    My assumption is that it's just thier way of trying to persuade people to switch to the Norton firewall.
    But anway,
    I assume ther are some ZAP users that are running ZAP with
    an NAV version (there has to be at least a few) have
    run into
    this issue at one time or another.
    Can anyone give me some insight as to how to fix this issue (other than removing NAV - which is basically where I'm heading to if I don't get any suggestions to resolve this).
    (Constructive) suggestions
    appreciated...JEB

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:6.5
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: ZAPv6.5 - Conflicts with NAV2008

Your problems with NAV mid 2007 version, on up - this is about the time Norton "re-formulated" their NAV to include their firewall - rebranded/ renamed as (worm guard/ internet worm protection) without fully informing users that there is a firewall-like feature present in this product. McAfee has done the same thing with their latest version McAfee Anti-Virus/ Plus
    = this inlcudes their firewall, without mentioning it in it's name - go figure. It's a trend in the security software industry - once an anti-spyware - now can include anti-virus + firewall (Webroot), SpywareDoctor, McAfee, Norton, etc. they're including av + as + firewall + extras of their own brands (market share/ domination).<hr>Here read thru some of these past posts regarding ZA firewall + NAV...click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...id=6843#M43844
    &gt; http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...mp;q=norton+av<hr>Shut-off the 'worm guard.' or anything else that sounds/ acts like a firewall.<hr>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<hr>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.[*]Caution if you use any of the new hybrid &quot;Anti-spyware with Anti-virus software&quot; - like Webroot AntiVirus with AntiSpyware or PCTools SpywareDoctor with Integrated AntiVirus, Threatfire
    or SunbeltSoftware CounterSpy with VIPRE, etc. = the anti-virus portion may cause conflict with your main AntiVirus software.<hr>:0NaiveMelody NYC 6-11-08 - For The Love Of Money - The O' Jays[/list]

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 06-11-2008 10:15 PM

jeb Guest

Default Re: ZAPv6.5 - Conflicts with NAV2008

Thanks for the links.
    NO, don't have NIS (Norton Internet Security),
    Have NAV (Norton Antivirus) 2008.
    I already found all those links (from the &quot;NORTON&quot; search).
    Did that already.
    Never said I had TWO firewalls
    and/or TWO Antivirus programs running.
    Only using ZoneAlarm Pro for the Firewall,
    Norton is only the Antivirus.
    I have all the firewall stuff in NAV turned off / unchecked... at least the stuff I know about and can change - Their new interface isn't very user friendly.
    Kind of took one step forward, and three steps back.
    Seems all they really want to do is hound you to death with pop-ups
    to
    update the program every other hour.
    I've run out of patients, time to get rid of it.
    Thanks anyway...JEB

Thread Information