Thread: ZA AntiVirus causes major slowdowns on file copies

trainfan Guest

Default ZA AntiVirus causes major slowdowns on file copies

When ZA AntiVirus is enabled, file copies, especially large .exe files, takes a LONG time. An example file is the XP SP3 WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe update file. It's just over 324MB. When the AntiVirus is turned off, copying the file from a folder to my desktop takes 7 seconds from start to finish. Right clicking on it takes about 1 second for the menu to pop-up. But with the AntiVirus turned on, copying the file takes 32 seconds to start the copy (the copy pop-up appears) and another 15 seconds to complete the copy, for 47 seconds from start to finish. Right clicking on the file takes 42 seconds for the menu pop-up to appear.

The machine is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ with 2GB of DDR RAM running Windows XP Pro SP2 fully patched. The system is 98% idle when the process starts and 60% to 80% idle during the copy with most of the rest of the CPU being used by the ScanningProcess processes (there are two of them).

ZoneAlarm Security Suite is V7.0.470.000
    TrueVector security engine version 7.0.470.000
    Driver version 7.0.470.000
    Anti-virus engine version 3, DAT file version 953945276
    Anti-Spyware engine version 5.0.189.0, DAT file version 01.200806.4165
    Anti-Spyware version 5.0.6.8903

I also have Webroot SpySweeper 5.5.7.124 installed, but simply disabling the AntiVirus part of ZA fixes the issue, so I don't think SpySweeper is involved in the issue.

I've done a clean uninstall and reinstall a couple of times in the last couple of months, so the install is pretty clean.

Any idea why the ZA AntiVirus makes the machine SOOOOO SLOOOOOWWWWW?

- Thanks

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by Trainfan on 06-27-2008 10:59 PM

Default Re: ZA AntiVirus causes major slowdowns on file copies

Hi!please report the issue to ZA technical support: www.zonelabs.com/tsform Not sure what to suggest, are you moving the file everyday? Better to turn OFF on access scanner if so. Antivirus is checking the file on copying and for large compressed files it takes a long time. Once you know that the file is clean there is not need to keep scanning it with the AV.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information