Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do i delete free firewall 2 antispyware

eaglewhu Guest

Default do i delete free firewall 2 antispyware

Can someone help me,
    i have the free firewall but i would like to buy the anti-spyware with firewall, Do i have to delete the free version first or will it upgrade the free verson to Anti-spyware with firewall auto. cheers eaglewhu........

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: do i delete free firewall 2 antispyware

Do not use the ZA free to install the ZA Antipsyware.
    The ZA free is a full installer for the ZAISS and can not be selectively used for the various different versions.

Please uninstall the ZA free this way:

- Click on Start -> Programs -> Zone Labs
    - RIGHT-click on Uninstall ZoneAlarm, then select Properties
    - Under Target you will see the following line:

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe"

Change it to:

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean /rmlicense

(first add a space and then type in the /clean /rmlicense)

Use the Apply and OK in that window.

Open the Zone Alarm and disable the "Load Zone Alarm .. at startup" in the Preferences of the Overview. Then reboot. Now the Zone Alarm is completely off and none of it's driver have not been started.

-Return to the Uninstall ZoneAlarm in the Zone Labs of the All Programs
    - Click OK to run the uninstaller, and OK any security alerts that
    pop up.
    - say "Yes when being prompted for the removal of all files.
    - Reboot
    - manually remove the files found inside of these folders:
    [*]WINDOWS\ Internet Logs[*]Program Files\Zone Labs[*]WINDOWS\system32\ Zonelabs[*]</Windows\Temp folder[*] and the Temp folders found in the Document and Settings
    - reboot

Please do not use any web accelerators or download managers! to download the ZA installers. These will corrupt the ZA installer!
    Now download the ZA Antispyware version from here:

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html

You may consider to first purchase the ZA Antipsyware version from the ZA online store and first get the ZA licnese key emailed to you, before actually attempting to install the ZA Antispyware. It does make things a little tidier if the key is on the desktop ready and waiting before installing the ZA
    The email sending the ZA license key should have a download link for the needed installer.

I would like to add that the ZA Antispyware is one of favorite firewalls.
    But I did trial the pay versions before making any final purchases.

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 07-08-2008 03:11 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

eaglewhu Guest

Cheers for that, i will give that ago. i wasnt sure if i had to delete the free firewall, but going back 3or4 months i wasnt sure about installing the free firewall, now i wouldnt be with out it. also i have anti spyware running in a free version should i turn of real time shield.once again thanks eaglewhu............

Usually the free versions of antispyare do not have any resident or full time guards/shields. Thses usually only have an on-demand scanner.
    The on demand antispyware scanners do not pose any problems.
    The real problems begin with using two full time antispyware software, not from the extra on-demand antispyware scanner.

I have in the past successfully used superantispyware free and asquared free along with the ZA Antispyware and the ZA Pro versions. Never had any issues from that approach.
    I never have used any full time dedicated paid antispyware scanners with the ZA- never felt for a need for the extra expenditure.

If using SpyBot S&D with the ZA antispyare, then disable the Tea Timer of the SpyBot S&D.
    If using the free spyware terminator, then disable it's full time guards and instead rely just on the ZA shields.
    Also disable either one of these before installing the ZA.

I trust you have a resident fulll time antivirus scanner installed on the computer?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

eaglewhu Guest

I
    use spybot with tt,
    and spyware terminator with real time shield and windows defender been running 4ever
    and on demand Asquared and spyware doctor
    never had a prob. cheers eagle.......

Oh my gosh! That is too many spyware scanners even for on demand.

Lose a few of those and lighten thw windows load.
    Lose the spyware doctor and the spyware terminator and the spybot.

Use just the superantispyware free and the asquared free for on demand scanners.
    Both are top performers and do the job.

You do have an antivirus installed?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

eaglewhu Guest

Hi, i use avg 7.5 pro has no anti-spyware,
    as for the spyware,
    is superantispyware just a on demand scanner. what about real time. why should i get rid off what you said as spyware doctor found a trojan (onlinegames.pou)
    last week all your comments are wellcome as i am a learning all the time. cheers eagle

Ah now that is what I needed to hear - the AVG 7.5 is an antivirus and does the job.
    Off topic: the avg 7.5 is replaced by the AVG 8.x, so get it updated fast and get the newer version. Support for the older avg is dropped.

Back to the thread.
    Too much of a good thing is worse not better.
    Too many drivers and files, even if idle, are loaded and set into the windows kernel. Less is often more. Often this does lead to window issues and even BSOD or window crashes.
    Security does not come from the herd of security scanners installed on windows, but it comes proper and safe computer practises.
    I have not used any dedicated antispware scanners for several years and yet had a need to install any - there is no malware is on my pc's.
    Just using the antivirus, ZA firewall and a safe browser (than the IE) seems to do a good job.

The paid ZA has numerous guards found in those spyware scanners.
    Those other extras are not needed.

Yes spyware doctor found a troyan, but what exactly was it?
    If it wa a troyan, then the antivirus is the fastest scanner on the windows to find anything and should have captured it first.
    Often the "troyan" is just a bad html or iffy javascript in the browser's cache , not an actual malware installed on the windows.

Okay I just searched this onlinegames.pou site.
    The troyan in question is an .ax file (compressed media file) and then installs an .exe

This would be allhappening in the browser's cache and the antivirus should have picked this immediately up. (the .exe file should be usually attempting to install itself from the one of the temp folders).

Perhaps the AVG is not as good as I thought.
    The ZA AS or ZA Pro would have seen all of this happening and immediately given an Alert about this malware event. It could have been squashed without any extra scanners.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

http://www.malware.com.br/cgi/search...VHYW1lcy5wb3U=

qqq.hao1658.com = 122.224.5.7 (China)

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

eaglewhu Guest

the avg i have installed does not expire to december, so taking on board what you said about it
    would i have to do a complete re-install for the new one as updating does not recommend the avg 8.0 free. thanks again all help much noted and needed.eagle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information