Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ScanningProcess.exe at 100% CPU

sadi Guest

Default ScanningProcess.exe at 100% CPU

Just downloaded the trial version of ZoneAlarm suite to a fairly new installation of XP Pro with SP2 (about 1 week, with no internet access prior, so I am pretty sure it is clean), following a glowing recommendation from Consumer Reports. The build version is reported as 7.0.473.000. All of a sudden I am seeing close to 100% of CPU swallowed up by ScanningProcess.exe (for many hours), which I believe is yours; I believe it was trying to do a spyware scan.
    Please advise as soon as possible how to resolve this issue. It was particularly annoying that this process sets itself up as a system process, and my attempts to lower its priority (or terminate it) were met with a finger slap. This is certainly not acceptable, and I am close to terminating the trial version and selecting another product, unless I hear from you soon. Looks like this happened before (based on net postings in this forum).

I am expecting to hear about some solution that involves a downloadable fix (rather than disable all other processes in the system, as some postings suggested- I simply do not believe that I have that much junk in this brand new installation). I am surprised that a trial version would contain such an obvious bug- are you really trying to sell this product?

Surprised and disappointed,
    Sadi

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

mphixson Guest

Default Re: ScanningProcess.exe at 100% CPU

I have the same problem since I downloaded the fixed version due to KB951748.I uninstalled the fixed version and rolled back to the antivirus 2007 cd version 6.5.737.000.I also had to remove KB951748 again.
    system is old though, may not be able to handle the new version.
    system is a Soyo KT333 Dragon with AMD 1100+ with 1 GB of memory.xp pro srv pk 2, 32 bit, all scsi drives..

ozbluenose Guest

Well I'm sorry to learn about the originating new user's bad experience with scanningprocess.exe hogging the CPU, but I'm also having the same problem after upgrading to 7.0.483.000 after the Microsoft Windows update debacle a few days ago. I'm really fed up with this, to be honest, as I've wasted so many hours with both events, including about five hours or more today on scanningprocess.exe.

I've tried to reset as per one forum poster's suggestion by CTRL+SHIFT+RIGHT MOUSE CLICKING the ZAIS icon in the system area. This was supposed to bring up a reset option, but it didn't. So I did the 'Reset to default' link at the bottom of the ZAIS program window, but with no difference made to scanningprocess. I then uninstalled the whole program, cleared the temp files, etc, and reinstalled. No difference. I then followed instructions from another poster at http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...ssage.id=76719 to do a clean uninstall of ZAIS, downloaded and ran a temp file and registry cleaning program, reinstalled again, and no difference. scanningprocess.exe is just hogging my machine that much that even mouse clicks take a minute or so to register and I'm unable to shut Windows down gracefully - only holding down the power off button works.

It's strange, as the upgrade worked flawlessly on my partner's computer with Windows XP Home SP3. My computer with the problem has Windows XP Professional SP3 with all the Windows updates except for the problem update that shafted ZA the other day.

I encountered this problem before with a previous upgrade and, as per my post to the forum then, scanningprocess.exe resolved itself after 45 minutes. Unfortunately, I have an additional problem with my HP NX6120 laptop computer that switches itself off when it gets too hot - even with a twin cooling fan base I have underneath it. scanningprocess.exe is running all the time and the **bleep** HP can't take it so I can't get to 45 minutes on it. Computers! Supposed to make one's life easier or more interesting! Ha! So as I need my own computer and its files, etc., I'll have to ditch ZA for some trial freebie, say Symantec, and hope a reliable fix is suggested here. Otherwise the new trial, if it works, will probably be bought to get my life back.

Your time in reading this long novel is appreciated.

Regards and good luck.

cdrscott Guest

I just installed the update to ZA on two practically identical computers. This one works fine. On the other, ScanningProcess.exe is hogging 99% of the CPU. It is hard to work through because it keeps the computer tied up. Any great ideas?

taroona Guest

I find it disturbing that I cannot see any comments [& resolutions by] ZoneAlarm regarding ScanningProcess. It hasn't taken over my pc since I rebooted so in the light of any comment from ZoneAlarm I have to live in the hope that the problem has resolved itself.

jenniferinsb Guest

I've had the same problem today and disabled ZA and used the Windows firewall. No problems with the scanningproccess.exe so decided to try ZA again. Also I removed the Microsoft update supposedly related to this problem prior to disabling ZA and IT DID NOT HELP. So a bit later I decided to try ZA again resetting as suggested. This worked until my computer did an automatic MS update, even restarting itself which it never has before. Now it is frozen again with the scanningprocess.exe up to 100% CPU freezing my computer from any possible use. By the way, I did not have this problem until the ZA update was installed, so I question if this problem is due to MS or ZA. I read in a 100% cpu usage post that it may have something to do with Microsoft update running in the background. I have yet to change this since I am now at work. Since there seems to be no real answers and the problem varies from computer to computer, I thought I'd throw out what I've found so far. I am hoping there is a correlation between the ZA update and MS update running in the background, because before that I did not have any problems with ZA or my computer.

Here's what I am running: HP pavilion 6105us - MS Service Pack 3 - 2GB RAM - Registry mechanic in the background and a completely clean up to date system

Hope this helps someone, tech support said they would get back in 3-4 days. I wish I could tell my job that!

Hi!common solutions to this problem have been posted several time on this board.Just use the search function (red button) included in each forum sections.See, for example,here:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=29340Also note that ZA staff does not monitor this forum. We are all users here.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 07-12-2008 11:50 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

ozbluenose Guest

Hello Guru Fax.

First of all, thank you for your time and effort. I think it's terrific that people like you devote so much to helping others with otherwise frustrating problems such as these.

However, I've just followed both of the apparent solutions provided in the post you linked to without success. This is in addition to other methods I've followed from other postings, as per my other message in this thread. After following the solution to remove, clean, and reinstall on the link you referred to, I have exactly the same problem.

Perhaps of interest is the fact that only the first of the three listed registry entries and one of the listed files (**bleep**.dat) were present on my system after the uninstall. This may have been due to my use of a registry cleaner recommended in another thread. All the same, they were not there prior to the clean install, yet after following the instructions to the letter, scanningprocess.exe is again using 99% of CPU resources.

Someone also mentioned in a posting that licence key holders (from a purchase) can obtain individual support from Zonealarm. I followed this and completed the online form, but then received an email saying the True Vector engine version 7.0.483.000 was invalid, even though I picked it from their own drop-down list on their form. I did this form twice with the same email result.

Regards.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>ozbluenose wrote:
    Someone also mentioned in a posting that licence key holders (from a purchase) can obtain individual support from Zonealarm. I followed this and completed the online form, but then received an email saying the True Vector engine version 7.0.483.000 was invalid, even though I picked it from their own drop-down list on their form. I did this form twice with the same email result.
    Regards.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi!Thank you for your kind words. Please consider that you may get scanningprocess high on CPU if ZA is doing a scan in the background.Try to give ZA a few more days...Probably due to the overload of requests they did not updated the server to accept 483 requests.Just use the previous version (473) and mentioned it in the form.
    If the submission is successfull you should receive an-email with a ticket number.Try also to boot your system selectively to ensure its not due to a third party software. This way:1.) Click Start -&gt; Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor, and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer
    NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.
    Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

ozbluenose Guest

Hello Fax.

Thanks for your reply and your time.

I've printed our your tip and will have a go at it next weekend as a final attempt to get it working. In the meantime, I've had to download Symantec Norton Internet Security trial version to be able to work. I'll also try reporting to Zonealarm via the support page again. If I get a response from them, I'll post it on here for everyone.

Best regards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information