I downloaded Youtube Downloader.exe 2.1.6 via CNet and www.download.com utilising Vista Home Premium, IE7 with SD (Spybot), Forcefield (Private), MS Defender and ZASS all resident and running.
There were no warnings and all seemed OK.
I created a restore point and then ran the YouTube Downloader.exe 2.1.6 to instal it. Still no issues.
Tried the program, it worked.
Still no issues.
In the normal course of events, about
a day later, I ran a full deep scan of virus/spyware from ZASS and the installer file and its subordinates
were reported as having
contained
Win32.Trojan.Dropper.Vb.aos with the recommendation to delete.
I accepted the recommendation and selected delete and all the files were erased, except the Youtube folder.
Ran the full system scan again - no problems reported.
So far - so good.
Mu curiosity got the best of me.
With
being unable to find any
mention of this download being infected on the Web, I tried the whole process again, with one additional check!
After going through the backup and install process I then went into the directories with the initial downloaded file, and also the extracted files, and checked them with the ZASS virus/spyware scanning function.
All clear, no issues.
Then, I reran the ZASS full deep scan on my entire computer and back came the message that I was again infected with Win32.Trojan.Dropper.Vb.aos in the very same files that the individual ZASS scan have given the all clear.
I have re-deleted the offending application via ZASS and ZASS full deep scan reports all clear.
What is going on?
Does Youtubedownloader.exe 2.1.6 contain Win32.Trojan.Dropper.Vb.aos or not?
This is a very useful utility and I would have thought that the net would be full of entries if this Trojan had been identified as lurking in its code.
Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite