Thread: DAT File Version Uncertainty!

cedarone Guest

Default DAT File Version Uncertainty!

I seem to be having problems downloading the new versions of the anti-virus dat files, but can't really get my hands on enough info to have a clue what's going on or even if there is a problem!

How big are the dat files supposed to be? My comp had downloaded about 16 megs worth of something, mostly the dat file update, and the progress bar was at about 50%, then it just seemed to quit! No message to say it had succeeded or anything, but I guess that's not unusual for ZA...? I've been having similar problems trying to download stuff in my browser.... gets to 50% then just goes zoom to 100% and seems to be pretending it has the whole file! File size is listed accurately, but the file has obviously not all been downloaded. I checked my antivirus version number against the one listed on this forum for today, and as far as I can tell, my version number seems to be older! Is there any place to get a list of the version numbers and what date each of them was released???? If the download had failed, why would ZA not give me some sort of error message? In ZA, in the anti-virus/anti-spyware, Main tab, it says everything is fine and that the definitions were updated today! YET, as far as I can tell, the dat file version number is totally wrong! HELP!!!

What does ZA use for downloading these files? Does it have anything to do with a person's browser's downloader at all? ..or does it have it's own downloading program? Is there anyplace to manually download and install these files?

P.S.: Why is the za on my system called "Zone Alarm Security Suite" and any reference to this suite on this website is called "Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite"? Is there something wrong here?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: DAT File Version Uncertainty!

Hi!
    if you go to ZA antivirus/antispyware tab and push on 'update now' what is the result?
    Do you get any error message? If not, you are fine.

Frequency of update can be tune under the advanced option of the antivirus/antispyware tab.
    By the default is set to every 3 hours.

Antivirus updates are incremental so every 3 hours the antivirus will download file(s) on average of 200-700kb (very small).

The DAT number is not a good indication to check if you DAT are up to date. They can change every 30 minutes or 1-2 hours. Just check this directory "C:\Windows\System32\ZoneLabs\avsys\bases" order by date and check you have files dated today.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

cedarone Guest

Wow! Somebody else is still up! Excellent!

In ZA antivirus/antispyware tab, when I push on 'update now', I get: (wouldn't it be nice if we could copy/paste this????)
    Header: Update Progress
    Task Finished
    (red circle with exclamation mark) Anti-spyware
    HTTP response code said error ('http://upd.zonelabs.com/zonealarm/online//Catalog.zip')
    (red circle with exclamation mark) Anti-virus
    The task encountered an error

On retry, the response was exactly the same, except it did the Anti-virus first.

My frequency of updates is set to 3 hours, so ....wow.... what the heck was it downloading that was so huuuuugggge!!!!

But, don't the dat numbers follow some sort of logical sequence? Why would mine be older than today's?

In the "C:\Windows\System32\ZoneLabs\avsys\bases&quo t;, I have lots and lots of files dated for today, like 520! (Is this normal?) 44 files are dated May 31, 2007. 36 are Dec. 19, 2006. and 3 are June 30, 2006. Does this all sound normal?

Is there a list of these update numbers and their dates to be found anywhere online?

Message Edited by CedarOne on 07-17-2008 01:35 AM

Hi!
    ok, so your issue is not AV updates by AS updates.
    AS updates are downloaded in one big file, this explains your experience of big file(s).

Note that if you have many files in the 'bases' folder dated today it means that you have installed or upgraded ZA today. The first time you install ZA, AV signature are downloaded almost in its entirety. Then only the latest files are downloaded or updated.

Please follow all the steps detailed here to correct the issue with AS updates:
    http://www.zonealarm.com.au/main/kb_...asp?KBID=11433

Cheers,
    Fax

cedarone Guest

AS updates...? Is that Anti-spyware or what? Any idea how big they usually are? How can you tell this is just an AS update issue? Wasn't there also an error message related to the AV update?

I DID NOT install or upgrade ZA today! (unless, of course za did that completely without my knowledge!)

Thanks for the link, but what am I supposed to do after all this stuff is totally deleted from my system and then I cannot download the virus definitions properly again? Is there anyplace that a person can download these files through a download manager and then install them?

So....ZA still has a knowledge base....? Any idea how mere mortals like me could get into it and look through it?

Hi!I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say.Did you perform the steps to fix your antispyware problem?That error message you have detailed before relates to the antispyware portion.If you not installed ZA today then there may other problems or your ZA install may be corrupted.The best in this case is to proceed with a clean uninstall and reinstall of your current ZA. See here below (link), the procedure:http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...n_install.html(take note of your license and remember to remove the folders detailed at the end of the document)You can find the latest installer of ZASS here: www.zonealarm.com/zasuitedownload/ No, there is no place to download manually those files. It should happen silently and with no user intervention.Knowleage base can be accessed via the ZA support page:http://www.zonealarm.com/supportand choose Instant support.Please note that this forum is not monitored by ZA staff, we are all users here.If you have a valid license you can contact, free of charge, the ZA technical support at: www.zonealarm.com/tsformHope this helps.Cheers,Fax

Thread Information