Thread: AV Scan Never Ends

luvmaui Guest

Default AV Scan Never Ends

Ever since the update to ZA Internet Security Suite to fix the MS security update problem, I've had problems with the AV scan.
    Last night, the scan (according to the icon on the toolbar) started at 8:00 p.m.
    I have about 160GB and 2GB memory.
    14 hours later, the icon was still on the toolbar indicating the scan was continuing.
    I couldn't get on the internet.
    I couldn't get into ZA to see if there was any kind of progress bar.
    Finally, I performed Ctrl-Alt-Del and discovered that there was nothing running.
    I shutdown which took about 3 minutes and MS did the "End Program Now" thing which always indicates a problem occurred.
    This is the second scan since the newest version of ZA was installed and the second time this has happened.
    What's wrong?
    PJ

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

rdn Guest

Default Re: AV Scan Never Ends

Hi PJ,
    I also have had problems with long AV scans (see my post on AV scan times). I reinstalled V483 as a clean install and times are now reasonable.

rawebb Guest

If your machine is fast enough, or if you're doing the scanning when it's otherwise idle, set the scan priority to "high" in the Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware | Advanced Options | Scan Options drop-down box. It can make a BIG difference in how quickly the scan runs.

luvmaui Guest

Thanks, rdn.
    I'll try the clean install.
    Obviously something is wrong when functions of the computer start locking up and when indications are that a scan is occurring when it isn't.
    PJ

rdn Guest

Yes! Yes! Setting priority to high is the way to go! I thought it was unnecessary as my scans are set to a time when I am not using the machine. Now it is done in 1 hour!!

Thread Information