Thread: Version 8.0.020.000 Update Problems

nasho Guest

Default Version 8.0.020.000 Update Problems

I am not certain if this is the correct forum for this Post.
    I have ZASS Version 7.0.483.000 installed on this XP Pro SP2++ PC.Yesterday I received the Pop Up suggesting Update to the new version 8, so I selected Update.Now I do not know if this was simply coincidental or whether a Path was created while downloading and installing version 8, but I copped a Bug, which I believe to be "FraudTool.Win32.Agent.bu", which contained "Antispyware 2008 xp.exe", a real Mongrel.The first I knew of this was, my desktop had changed to a plain Blue Screen with like a Banner Add in the centre of the Screen. This Add had a Red top section containing "Warning! Spyware detected on your computer." The lower White section showed 2 Malicious Files, marked DANGER, which it claimed to have found on the Computer. This Add also had the Minimize, Expand and Close Buttons, all of which would not work and the Add could not be moved around on the screen, nor could it be removed from the Desktop.At the time I thought the problem was associated with ZASS 8, so I uninstalled it and re-installed v7.0.483.000, ran the Virus Scan and found the bug, got rid of all traces of antispyware 2008 xp.exe, found a fix to re-install the Desktop and Screensaver Tabs in Display Properties, then re-established my Desktop to previous theme and background.As you can see and appreciate, this consumed a lot of time and frustration.
    The thing I am having trouble comprehending, is, How did this bug get past ZASS 7 while ZASS 8 was installing.??????
    Can anyone offer comments on this problem and whether anyone else has ever encountered anything similar.
    Thank You

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Version 8.0.020.000 Update Problems

Hi!first try to clean your machine from malware then install ZASS 8.Do NOT use nay other pay based software. If you have them installed remove them before proceeding (adware, SpyBotS&D, spyware doctor, spysweeper, etc..)To clean your machine download andrun MBAM:http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.phpAlso see here:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b....id=3787#M3787Also clean your system and registry. You can use the free ccleaner:http://www.ccleaner.com/download/bui...wnloading-slimNext to update to version 8, do the following1. Download the update2. UNcheck "Load ZA ... at startup" (ZA overview --> preferences)3. Reboot the PC4. Install the new versionCheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 09-07-2008 11:45 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

nasho Guest

Hello guru,You may have misunderstood me.
    I have been running ZASS 7 for months now and as far as I can tell, my machine was Clean, at the time I ran the Update for ZASS 8.If it was not Clean, as you appear to be suggesting, there must have something wrong with ZASS 7 that allowed this Bug to attack the system while I was updating.
    Thank You

Hi!difficult to say from here.. I should access your machine... it could have been anything.. :8}Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information