Thread: Master Boot Record Corrupted after Downloading Update

neils Guest

Default Master Boot Record Corrupted after Downloading Update

I don't know if this is coincidence (I tend not to believe in coincidence) but my XP Pro PC's master boot record appear to have become corrupted shortly after new definitions where automatically downloaded. If this wasn't the cause, the next like suspect is a Virus.

I have not been able to restore the partition as I want to try all options before wiping the partition and reinstalling XP and then having to install all applications. I guess there is no surefire way to tell if the partition is infected if I can not access it. It is not active and Partition Magic reboots when retriving info or checking for errors.

Anyone have any ideas on how to reactivate the partition and scan it? FIXmbr is what I was going to use but I can not get to the partition. Windows setup sees the partition as unformated.

Thanks..

Neil

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

hammernu Guest

Default Re: Master Boot Record Corrupted after Downloading Update

Right-click My Computer and select Manage, then select Disk Management. Does it show the partititon?
    Sorry, I just reread your post and realized that you can't get to the partition. Forget the above.

Message Edited by HammerNU on 09-13-2008 12:25 PM

Default Re: Master Boot Record Corrupted after Downloading Update

Use the fixmbr in the recovery console or in dos should work.
    This is not a ZA issue but a windows issue.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information