Thread: Restore Quarantined files

zakeith Guest

Default Restore Quarantined files

Hello,
    I need to run some more analysis tests on some spyware that ZA detected. I see it in the Quarantined list, and I can select restore BUT I cannot see any sflder path's, files names etc. I do not know where ZA will restore the file to or wha the file is called.
    I assume ZA will just restore it to wherever it came from, but if I do not t know where that is or what its filename is, how can I get access to it?

On the same topic: How can I specify the location of where I want ZA to save ("restore&quot a copy of the virus/spyware file(s)? I do not want it overwriting good files somewhere on the disk but I still need to get access to them.

Thanks!

zakeith Guest

Default Re: Restore Quarantined files

Hello, Any ideas on this one? Its fairly important from a security standpoint that I get access to a trojan file in the Quarantine area for analysis. Any work around is very welcome if it is not possible, thank you.

prof_fate Guest

you may want to download, update and scan with superantispyware FREE:
    http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html
    if the above fails try with free DrWeb Cure it:www.freedrweb.com
    If the above fails try a-squared free:http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

if ALL the above fails please post your Hijackthis log here:
    http://www.castlecops.com/f67-Hijack...ans_Oh_My.html
    Please read mandatory steps before posting:
    http://www.castlecops.com/t102301-Hi...e_Posting.html

zakeith Guest

Thanks for the reply Prof Fate. Note: I don't need to scan the machine(s), all I really need is to get access to the Quarantined files in ZoneAlarm Quarantine area.

Perhaps its not possible - it which case it would be a pretty bad security design oversight in a product supposedly dedicated to increasing security (hope I am wrong, but its frustrating not being able to get access to a quarantined file).

prof_fate Guest

Sorry, we do the best we can with the Very limited iformation you have provided...
    You have posted three messages without even mentioning wich version of ZoneAlam you using..
    The FREE version has very limited configuration and NO Support..
    It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,
    without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

Please Right Click on the ZA Tray icon on the Lower Right and Click the "About" Option this will pop up a windows with all the Info about your Version Of ZA including the complete Version Number.. Click the "Copy to Clipboard" and Paste that information Here in the Forum by pressing the "CTRL-V" key..
    ---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.015.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.015.000
    Driver version:8.0.015.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:959933788
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200809.4655
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957

zakeith Guest

Thanks Prof. Fate, my apologies for not including the version number. The version is the very latest on the 7.0 branch, 7.0.483.000 was released to the public on July 10, 2008: http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html
    Win XP SP3.

I only have a "restore" option in Quarantine area. I can find no folder path/filename information in the Quarantine area - if I choose the restore option it will send virus/trojan back to some unknown location on the hard drive. I have checked the logfiles to see if they give some clue as to exactly where quaratined files came from, but without luck.

prof_fate Guest

The Paid version of ZoneAlarm has a Log for both Virus and Spyware and for each virus Quaranteened, you can Delete, Restore or get more information on that listing..

zakeith Guest

Ok great thanks Prof Fate that will let me work around the problem. Looks like the log was archived so the entries were not showing up in the Spyware log section.

The ability to see this info in the Quarantine tab, plus be able to save to a new location (not restore to the original location) would be a nice little feature request for future versions.

Thanks again for the help.

Hi!

have you tried to look into the Log stored in the 'internet logs' folder (in windows main folder).
    Look for the date when the spwyare was quarantined.

Otherwise if you don't get an answer here you can (free of charge), with a valid license key, contact directly the ZA technical support at: www.zonealarm.com/tsform (ZA staff does not monitor this forum, we are all users here)

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information