Thread: Virus.Win32.Virut.q false positive

kiwifella Guest

Default Virus.Win32.Virut.q false positive

I have a new PC running XP Pro SP3 and I just updated my Zone Alarm and suddenly I'm getting pinged by stacks and stacks of Alerts for this virus. My Zone Alarm details are:

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.483.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.483.000
    Driver version:7.0.483.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:961750631
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200810.4776
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

Checking on the web, I'vew downloaded a few of the tools which hunt out this particular virus but all come up clean. I've restored my system prior to my zone alarm update and done a full scan and it finds nothing. Could this be a false positive?

Whats really causing me issues is Zonealarm is quarantining stuff left right and centre and I have to keep restoring my ghosted image.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus

Default Re: Virus.Win32.Virut.q false positive

Hi!see here below how to report false positives..http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...essage.id=3780You can upload the files to www.virustotal.com to double check they are really false positives.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

kiwifella Guest

Thanks for
    the response, however what I'm after is feedback on why this latest update from ZA is finding this virus and not the previous version (which is only 6 weeks old)
    This latest update is quarantining half of my system to fix stuff that wasn't a problem before I updated ZA!
    As previously stated, I've also run zvundo and other tools which suppsedly hunt out this virus and kill it and they all come up with nothing!.
    So, something has got it wrong.
    Dave

<blockquote><hr>kiwifella wrote:
    why this latest update from ZA is finding this virus and not the previous version (which is only 6 weeks old)
    This latest update is quarantining half of my system to fix stuff that wasn't a problem before I updated ZA!
    As previously stated, I've also run zvundo and other tools which suppsedly hunt out this virus and kill it and they all come up with nothing!.
    So, something has got it wrong.
    Dave
    <hr></blockquote>

Latest antivirus definitions have added a false positive... what is a false positive?

http://www.viruslist.com/en/glossary?glossid=153654932

You have to report as indicated. You can upload the file(s) to www.virustotal.com to check if they are still detected and then report to Kaspersky to have them fixed.

Cheers,
    Fax

Message Edited by fax on 10-20-2008 10:47 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information