Thread: 8.0.059.000 - what have you done to us

dgersten Guest

Default 8.0.059.000 - what have you done to us

seriously, i got the prompt that an update to zonealarm suite was available, installed it, rebooted, blah blah blah and everything on my system is problematic.
    i have apps that have worked fine forever getting blocked.
    the logs are overflowing with block messages.
    there is some mysterious policy being refereneced in the logs but who knows how to get to it and edit it.
    you really ought to warn people ahead of time that there internet experience is about to change.

Default Re: 8.0.059.000 - Install problem

Hi!

was it an upgrade or a clean install? Try to reset the ZA settings:

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Or perform a clean UNinstall:
    http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...n_install.html
    (remember to remove the folder at the end of the document and keep note of your license

Re-download the installer"
    www.zonealarm.com/zasuitedownload/

Install with default setting

Also run the free tools mentioned in the below post to be sure you are clean:
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=3787

Remove (not enough to disable) any overlapping security tools, ZASS does not play nice with spyware doctor, spysweerper, adaware, SpybotS&D, Trojan Hunter, PC tools ThreatFire, AVG, norton, Mcafee, registry protection tools, etc..

Cheers,
    Fax
    Please next time choose a more explanatory subject line

Message Edited by fax on 10-24-2008 02:24 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

dgersten Guest

thanks for the quick response.
    it was done as an upgrade
    things i have found:- the downloaded security settings (part of the initial startup) set a large number of my programs to not have internet access.
    the most significant one being the java vm.- i basically went thru the list and deleted all the entries that were being denied internet access.
    i have smart defense set to always prompt me so that i can make the determination of whether internet access is appropriate.- back in the summer za had a release that conflicted with a microsoft security patch.
    i had developed a workaround for that which enabled outbound tcp on specific ports.
    i had that custom setting still in my configuration but turned off.
    i have turned it back on and the number of blocks has significantly dropped off.
    i disagree with the main page on the za app.
    i have a 3rd party virus scanner that i prefer and don't thing the main page should be telling me that my virus protection is broken.
    i have enough custom settings and other rules that i am really hesitant to lobotomize my system and start over but i appreciate the advice.
    i suppose i could have come up with a better subject line, although after the last go around in the summer where the za upgrade killed all internet access and then having to deal with that on several systems, what i wrote is much tamer than what i was thinking.
    right now things are working smoothly, so i guess case closed.

Hi!from what you describe it seems clear that you have a database corruption.Also setting access to programs at your wish can create serious issues to your system unless you know what you do.Generally smart defense advisor set permission to maximise compatibility and minimise troubleshooting and if you system is clean and you trust your OS than there is no need of setting special permission. If you do so, you do it at your own risk.Of course AV scanner with ZAPRO is OK, you did not mention your version of ZA. It is difficult to guess without info Backup your settings, Reset your ZA and see how it works without touching the defaults.You can than restore the settings afterwards unless also your backup is corrupted.Hope this helpsCheers,FAx

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

dgersten Guest

okay.
    thanks.

Thread Information