Thread: Repeated connection requests

twoah Guest

Default Repeated connection requests

I recently turned up my ZA Program Control to maximum and I am now getting repeated request from an
    incoming
    IP Address 169.254.33.43 port 63425 to connect to svchost.exe.

The ZA alert is purple which is a low threat but i would like to know what
    it is.
    Tried tracing the IP and could not find a destination - is there anyway to find if this is a threat or not?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Repeated connection requests

169.254.33.43 or for that matter, any IP in the 169.254.0.0-169.254.255.255 range, is a similar IP as the LAN IPs or PRIVATE NETWORK (10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255, 172.16.0.0-172.32.255.255 and of course 192.168.0.0-192.168.255.255) ranges.

Similar in the sense that these IPs are never internet capable or useable to connect to the internet.

169.254.33.43 is dis-similar in the fact that this IP is never assigned by the DHCP server (router in your situation) and this address is a local link (LINK LOCAL) address. Sonce this address is not assigned by your DHCP server, it is commonly called as "self assigned".
    Because the computer that has this address bascially gave itself an address as there was none to be found to given to it by the correct dhcp server.
    This self assigned IP is useless for attempting to connect to the dhcp server and to the internet - in a sense the computer of your home network trying to use this address to connect to other devices is basically an "orphan".

Even though that particular device/computer using the self assigned IP is "stranded" or isolated, that device/computer will still attempt to connect to the other devices of the local area network (LAN) but using only this address of 169.254.33.43. It still wants to file share and do printing and other nice things associated with the lan.
    Hence since it still bascially an IP which is not Internet, the ZA sees the unwanted connection attempts as a low risk threat, not a high risk threat.

This is not a threat, but it does mean the other device with such as address is not correctly connected to the router or you home network. You may want to make sure that device/computer does has a proper address as assigned by your router. That will resolve the issue.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

twoah Guest

Makes Sense - I have had to call my internet provider in the last little while about another IP address that Zone alarm was calling a threat (0.0.0.0) he described a similar situation with the router and computer
    - I will call my provider again to clear up.thanks

They will probably advise to reboot the lost computer or maybe do a tcp/ip reset and then attempt to gain an proper ip (assigned from the router) for that computer.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information