Thread: Anti-Virus Update Failed - The task encountered an error.

Hybrid View

rfaux Guest

Default Anti-Virus Update Failed - The task encountered an error.

I am a new single computer client and cannot get the anti-virus to update. The Anti-spyware updates fine.

Failure occurs fairly early in the process. and I get the text Anti-Virus. The task encountered an error.

Prior to this I was using Norton AV & Black Ice FW.

Windows XP Svc Pk 3

ZA Security Suite 8.0.059.000
    AV DAT version is 915051681

What I have tried thus far:
    1. Went into Safe mode and deleted the def files in case they were corrupted. Tried to reload and still failed.
    2. Updated servers to explicitly allow avu.zonelabs.com, upd.zonelabs.com and kav.zonelabs.com
    3. Did a clean removal of ZA SS and reinstalled - also again explicitely allowed the above servers
    4. Used a separate anti-virus software from DrWeb to scan machine. Appeared to be clean.
    5. Run a registry scan and found only minor issues that should not impact this.
    6. I am now downloading MBAM to scan the machine

I am getting tired of this. New software being downloaded on a slower wireless card. Live in the country - it's the best I can get. Guess I expected more from the product on first run than this.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

rfaux Guest

Default Re: Anti-Virus Update Failed - More info - still need help

MBAM comes back ok - still can't download.

Went to look at log file, here's what I've got:

20:43:52: HTTP request sent:
    GET /bases/five/avc/base047c.avc HTTP/1.0
    Host: kav.zonelabs.com
    Pragma: no-cache
    Cache-Control: no-cache
    Connection: keep-alive
    User-Agent: AAAA2jBBA

20:43:52: socket error: remote host closed connection
    20:43:52: Response has not been received from server, result General socket error
    20:43:52: Get remote files result: General socket error
    20:43:52: Download error
    20:43:52: Download update files result Updater logic error related to download process
    20:43:52: ========= download update bases operation, result: Updater logic error related to download process =========
    20:43:52: Update failed
    20:43:52: ******** Update operation result Updater logic error related to download process ********

rfaux Guest

Default Re: Anti-Virus Update Failed - still trying, still failing

Well, we're still trying things.

I've run another full Dr Web scan - clean. MBAM - clean.
    Tried running the update a few times in a row. Didn't work.
    Haven't been on the computer all day and started it up with the intent of letting it upload on its own schedule....but still says anti-virus defs are out of date.

Just posting to let people know I'm still working on it with no solution thus far.

naivemelody Guest

Have you ever used the Norton Removal Tool? - click here > http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154
    - you can run it twice.<hr>&gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73645<hr>Made sure all 'black ice firewall' was shut-down and properly un-installed?<hr>Please list
    any other security software, monitors, back-up
    you currently have.

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 01-12-2009 11:38 PM

rfaux Guest

Black Ice was thoroughly removed and Norton uninstalled. I am now downloading the cleaning program and will see if that solves it.

R

Hi!please post the content of the AV log, may be it can help to track down the issue.C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\avsys\_updLog.t xtCheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

rfaux Guest

Default Re: Anti-Virus Update Failed - still failing - more background

Thank you for your suggestions.

I tried the removal tool. It took a while, so I assume it tried to remove something. I may try to run the removal tool again. I should have thought of Norton being a problem - just didn't think to go see if there was an uninstall issue.

Still, I'm stuck with the same problem. The removal tool changed nothing with my AV update error. Same error - similar amount of time.

So, I'll try to give more information in hopes that it helps a lightbulb come on.

Black Ice was my old firewall - it is gone.
    Windows is apparently fond of using various excuses to turn its own firewall on (and maybe off?). I have made sure it is off.
    I removed Adaware - but that's an on-demand program anyway - so shouldn't be a problem?
    And...Norton was my only other security package that I am aware of.

computer is 4-5 yrs old. Dell Inspiron series.
    Had to update to Svc pack 3 for Windows in order to get the download to go (and go through ALL the requisite other updates). On a slower connection, this is no fun. But, I look on the bright side - just 2 weeks ago, I had dial up (nothing else available). Hence the lag in software updates.

Thread Information