Thread: Updclient.exe - resource hog, hangs or aborts online games, cannot adjust to 12 hrs update cycle

birdman Guest

Default Updclient.exe - resource hog, hangs or aborts online games, cannot adjust to 12 hrs update cycle

This has bothered me a long time and I keep waiting for an update to fix it but it is still a problem. Actually I have 2 problems. Here is the info.

1) Updclient.exe is a resource hog and when it runs (every hour by default) it hogs system resources (and often aborts online game programs). This can be documented with Task Manager and Process Explorer and other similar performance tools. It hogs resources so to a point that many programs, especially online programs such as online games, hang or abort. Other programs such as iTunes or WMP also can have problems. This is, um, undesirable behavior. I have lots of other programs that do online updates that are less intrusive and bothersome.

2) So, I have also tried to configure the updates to be at less obtrusive times but I haven't had success either. I have turned off automatic updates in preferences and I have selected 12 hour udpates in AV/AS Advanced Updates section. However, updclient still runs every hour. And, if I could get it to configure to 12 hours or 24 hours, I still didn't see anyplace to assign what time of day I would prefer the 12 or 24 hours update to occur at (like 4PM/4AM or 4AM every day for instance).

3) Gaming mode doesn't appear to help either since it does not appear to address the running of updclient.exe.

Hopefully, this is a pilot error and I can be easily steered to a solution. Or perhaps an update will come to fix this soon (I have latest ZA update). I googled and read about others who had this same problem but haven't found a solution yet either.

Thanks for any advice, help, and solutions.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Updclient.exe - resource hog, hangs or aborts online games, cannot adjust to 12 hrs update cycle

Hi!your issue seems resolved in the latest ZA beta version, not ETA been given for release.Intead of setting the AV/AS to 12 hours, turn them OFF and remember to update manually daily or more often since even 12 hours is not really secure.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

birdman Guest

Default Re: Updclient.exe - resource hog, hangs or aborts online games, cannot adjust to 12 hrs update cycle

Thank you for the fast reply.

I will look forward to the next release and hope this is fixed then. Some of the google complaints from others also were told "next release" for past releases so I'll remain a little bit skeptical until I see it. =)

I will use the workaround of turning off the auto-update until then but of course (as you point out) this is a very insecure thing to do (even worse than 12 hr updates) as I am certain to forget to update as often as I should.

Thanks again for your response.

You're welcome!HonestlyI don't know if this will be fixed in the next release, I was just reporting other users experience.Hereupdates have little effects on my system, so never experience this issue.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information