Thread: the AV update now updates TOO frequently

tim_t Guest

Default the AV update now updates TOO frequently

Is it my imagination, or are the anti-virus updates for ZoneAlarm Security Suite 7 now running too often? Today, in one session, the AV update window opened , downloaded and installed an update, then closed, no less than 6 times. That isn't normal, is it? It happens nearly every day now, I'm not kidding. One minute the update ran every few days; now it's running every few hours. And it only seems to involve the AV update; the spyware database is not updated.

Anyone else noticed this? The window popping up every few hours is starting to get annoying.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: the AV update now updates TOO frequently

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum!

I am very sorry that you are having issues with ZA and hopefully I will be able to help you find a solution.

PLEASE go to the following thread as it may or may not solve your issue.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=21347

Another option would be to report this issue to Tech Support and see what they say about it, PLEASE. Since this forum is Not Monitored by ZA staff or developers.

http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...ch_support.jsp

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

3. Default Re: the AV update now updates TOO frequently

That link you gave says "The message you are trying to access has been deleted. Please update your bookmarks."

And as I write this, the anti-virus update has just ran AGAIN. Hmm. Maybe I will ask the techs.

forum_moderator Guest

Tim_TIf I understand your issue correctly then there is no need to contact support at all. The 7.0 product line will do AV/AS updates hourly. This is normal and as designed.In The next release of The product you will have an option to select how often you want The product to check for updates. But for now its every hour.Forum Moderator

tim_t Guest

Ok, thanks. But is it supposed to DOWNLOAD updates every hour, too? It isn't just checking, it always downloads. And it only seems to check and download updates for the AV, not the spyware database.

Also, I'm a little confused when people on this board say for real technical support, ask the ZoneAlarm techs where appropriate. This is odd, because on the ZoneAlarm homepage (for ZAISS) it lists this forum as being FOR technical support. Under "Customer Service & Support" it lists the "ZoneAlarm User Forum" under "Technical Support", so how can you blame people for posting their technical questions here? The only other options are to phone a premium phone number (yea right, like anyone outside the States is gonna do that), or contact a "virtual" technical advisor which frankly from past experience hasn't been that useful. So if someone doesn't wish to use those two options, what's left? Use this forum, obviously...which surely is the reason why so many people post their questions here!

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi,Please report your isssues you are having with ZA as soon as possible to Tech Support. Please give Tech Support the opportunity to Help You with your issue. Here is the link.

http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...ch_support.jsp

PLEASE keep me posted on your results from Tech Support, if you don't mind, THANKS.

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Tim_T wrote:
    Ok, thanks. But is it supposed to DOWNLOAD updates every hour, too? It isn't just checking, it always downloads. And it only seems to check and download updates for the AV, not the spyware database.

Also, I'm a little confused when people on this board say for real technical support, ask the ZoneAlarm techs where appropriate. This is odd, because on the ZoneAlarm homepage (for ZAISS) it lists this forum as being FOR technical support. Under "Customer Service &amp; Support" it lists the "ZoneAlarm User Forum" under "Technical Support", so how can you blame people for posting their technical questions here? The only other options are to phone a premium phone number (yea right, like anyone outside the States is gonna do that), or contact a "virtual" technical advisor which frankly from past experience hasn't been that useful. So if someone doesn't wish to use those two options, what's left? Use this forum, obviously...which surely is the reason why so many people post their questions here!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm Sorry for your Confusion, It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..If you would Describe your Computer Setup/OS and Version of Zone Alarm that you are having a problem with
    and what difficulty you are having, and what Previous Version of ZA and Norton, McAfee or other Security programs that you have installed,
    there are several very knowledgeable Volunteer Participants willing to help you try solving your problem with Zone Alarm..Please provide as much detail and error messages etc. that you see on your ComputerMonitor.
    If the Volunteer Users in the Forum do not have a definitive answer to your question, they can refer you to another user with more experience, or if you have indicated that your problem is with a Paid version of Zone Alarm you may be refered to Zone Alarm Tech Support, which is Free to Users with a Valid license..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jobowo Guest

I'm not sure that you/ZA has a true understanding on this problem. It is reported in several threads that I've come across in this forum. All you need to do is Google &quot;ZoneAlarm update is running&quot;.

Most of the messages are related to ZoneAlarm AV or AS. I don't have either and I'm still getting this problem.

The problem is not simply that it is checking for updates but that the white arrow on the icon seems to be there continually and there seems to be sporadic internet activity associated with that. In other words, it isn't simply an hourly check but that the check doesn't stop!

There doesn't seem to be a need for detailed examination of configurations. Something this persistent and reported by several different people indicates a bug. This has only started to happen to me recently. What has changed in the last while?

I personally find the fact that you admit to having created a version that checks for updates whether or not I want that to happen offensive. I use a firewall like ZoneAlarm precisely to stop products doing exactly that! How come the ZoneAlarm client itself has to get permission to access the internet and yet you write a module that bypasses your own product. Is that secure?

Hi!please note that ZA staff do not monitor this forum (except the Forum Moderator), we are all users here.Also note that you have posted on a two years old thread.You can contact free of charge the ZA technical support at: www.zonealarm.com/tsform Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 01-13-2009 09:51 PM

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

forum_moderator Guest

They do plan to fix the hourly update issue so that you can control the frequency.I don't know the date for the fix but I do know the current Extreme security beta has this fix already in it.Forum Moderator

Thread Information