Thread: vsmon.exe brings my computer to crawl after downloading and installing several 1-2gb executables.

goya Guest

Default vsmon.exe brings my computer to crawl after downloading and installing several 1-2gb executables.

vsmon.exe brings my computer to crawl repeatedly for hours after downloading and installing several 1.5-2.0 gb game executables.

I run System Internals File Monitor
    and I see vsmon.exe reading through the
    install programs that i previously downloaded and installed. These executables are huge, if I reboot it appears to restart the scans, so all i can do is let zone alarm continue until its finish scanning these, unfortunately it took about a day. I have lots of screen shots, but this problem does not have option to attach them.
    Windows Task Manager shows well over 180,500,000,000 io bytes read, that is right! and over 400,000,000 bytes written. I basically have not been able to use my computer. The hard drive is constantly on.
    I have dell 9400 t2500 (2gz dual core) with 3 gb memory 250gb 5200 laptop
    This is not the first time it's happened it happens everytime i download a bunch of game mods and installed them.
    I'm running latest version of Windows XP Pro with all the patches and service packs
    and latest official ZoneAlaram Security Suite 8.0.059.00 fully updated.
    I have noticed that others have complained about this problem for quite a while, isn't it about time you'all fix it.
    Also, I downloaded and installed the game a couple of days ago, I have not accessed the downloaded installers since then, yet it continues to try to scan and rescan these files. Please note that there is no active or manual scan going on, just the regular scan the vsmon.exe that I can see from File Monitor. Can I'm not accessing those large files in anyway. So, I can't understand why vsmon.exe should be interested in them or even accessing them at this time.
    It can't be that hard to change the logic to read if the file is the same size, same checksum (you pick your favorite algorithm), same timestamp and it has already been scanned, dont rescan unless asked to do so by the user. I assume that while I was downloading it ZoneAlarm scanned it, so there is no need to keep rescanning them. I think Norton's new suite has this
    logic and it's quiet fast and good.

One last thing when I run File Monitor I eventually get bunch of popups with:

Windows - Corrupt File : The file or directory C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\BACKUP.RDB is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.

I then have to delete
    C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\BACKUP.RDB
    before ZoneAlarm Anti-Virtus/Spam updates work again.

Message Edited by goya on 01-17-2009 12:48 AM

Message Edited by goya on 01-17-2009 12:48 AM

Default Re: vsmon.exe issue

Hi!vsmon is the ZA firewall main driver it will in-between any communication within and outside your system.Now, what you describe does not make much sense to me... what is file monitor? Utility from...?Considering that ZA staff does not monitor this board (we are all users here), the best is to contact directly the ZA technical support at: www.zonealarm.com/tsform Explain in detail butwith simpler words the issue you have, ifit is a bug then ZA will collect the relevant logs...Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

goya Guest

File Monitor, along with Process Monitor, ect are part of Microsoft's System Internal Suite.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...s/default.aspx

Basically they allow me to see what is going on. I only ran it after I saw that ZoneAlarm vsmon.exe had read over made over 180 gb of read requests and brought my computer to crawl. if you search this forums for vsmon.exe read io you will see for some time others have brought this very issue up.Just to make it absolutely clear I was not in any way accessing the files that vsmon.exe was reading for hour after hour. You can reproduce this problem by downloaind several 2 gb game demos, then installing them and then just wait. You will notice sometime later that your systems comes to a crawl with constant disk io, if then you run sometime like File Monitor and Process Monitor you can find out that it will be vsmon.exe and that its reading block after block repeated of the large executables. Even when you are not accessing the large executables. I'm not sure how vsmon.exe works but it looks like it reads each executable for each virus pattern, very inefficient algorithm. Norton look like they have resolved this issue. Look at there 2009 suite I also run it and they don't appear to have issue with this.

Hi!nope vsmon has nothing to do with antivirus nor it checks for malware.It is the firewall driver... there is something else on top of vsmon causing this...Remember that vsmon is in-between any communication within yoursystem.If a program X tries to connect out or connectto localhost it will be intercepted by vsmon.... What you see is not necessarily a vsmon generated communication... it can be any X program on your system that tries to connect.But... no use of posting this here.If you are sure it is a ZA problem then report directly to ZA so they could look at it.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information