Thread: Zone Alarm (v8) on Vista with Visual Studio 2005 Saving Files Issue (Resolved)

da_jokker Guest

Default Zone Alarm (v8) on Vista with Visual Studio 2005 Saving Files Issue (Resolved)

For a while now I have not been able to develop on my laptop running Vista. Whenever I would try and do a "Save All" Studio would freeze. However many times if I did individual Saves for forms and such, it would seem to work. Due to
    this odd behavior, I had blamed Studio
    + Vista
    and went through all the troubleshooting steps. I had pretty much given up.
    To reproduce,
    Create a new VB Windows ApplicationAdd a couple controls to the Form1Create a New Application Setting (Just something simple like a single String Setting)Add a new Form2 with some controls.Click the [Save All].....
    Studio will Lock Up.

This weekend I was doing some work on my XP machine and it started acting up. It had never done that before. So I started looking at other things and low-and-behold, If I shut down Zone Alarm, everything would work (including on my Vista Machine)
    This lead to some testing... I tried Individually turning off Virus, Spyware, and Program Control functions in ZA (Internet Security Suite). Turns out it was the Virus Portion.

So... I have added DevEnv.exe to the Virus Exception List and so far so good. It's only been a day or two, but before following those steps above, I could never save. Now I can so at least I have some odds in my favor.
    Hope this will help someone else, so I thought I'd add it to the forum.

Operating System:Windows Vista Ultimate
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Zone Alarm (v8) on Vista with Visual Studio 2005 Saving Files Issue (Resolved)

Thank you for your Feedback..Now one one thing that you can do to Help other Users with a Similar problem, That is to Report your Findings and Solution Directly to ZA Tech Support Free of charge..If the Developers of ZoneAlarm are not made aware of a problem, then chances are it will not be fixed unless Users Complain with Full Details..----------------ZA Tech support always answer, if you do not get an answer it means that ISP or your E-mail system has junked the response,Check your Junkmail folder.Use Internet Explorer to submit thefull details of your problem and if you do not get an Auto-generated confirmation email .. Use a free e-mail like hotmail or gmail as contact address if you do not get an Auto-generated confirmation email ..You should receive an automatic confirmation response by ZA after 5-20 minutes with your ticket number.If you have not received it then your ISP has junked it or Bounced it back to Zonealarm...ZA Tech Support (Requires Valid ZA License Key) www.zonealarm.com/tsform--------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:977430096
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200901.5255
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

da_jokker Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm (v8) on Vista with Visual Studio 2005 Saving Files Issue (Resolved)

Although my fix worked for my XP machine...it did not work for Vista. So I took your advice and contacted Tech support, pointed them to this post. As a result of a couple e-mails, here is what they told me to do... today I've been working with Visual Studio's all day with the Antivirus Running and so far no lockups.

Per Zone alarm...
    I understand Visual Studio 2005 is hanging when you save a file and disabling the anti-virus fixes this issue. When saving a file, Visual Studio 2005 writes around 1MB of data (in a dozen or so writes) to the ntuser.dat.LOG file for your profile. All of these writes are processed by the On-Access scanning in the ZoneAlarm Anti-virus. Excluding this file should help with this issue.
    ... as I side note, I first tried using just
    wildcards and did not have
    success. Zone Alarm then suggested I explicitly specify the files.
    So... for all those who are having similar problems. Go into the Advanced options of your Ant-Virus (not Spyware) and add the following to the Exceptions list.
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\devenv.exeC:\Users\{profilename}\ntu ser*.*C:\Users\{profilename}\ntuser.datC:\Users\{p rofilename}\ntuser.dat.logC:\Users\{profilename}\n tuser.dat.log1C:\Users\{profilename}\ntuser.dat.lo g2
    * Of course for XP, those ntuser files would be in a different location, however for my XP machine, just excluding the devenv.exe did the trick.

Thank you for your Feedback
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information