Thread: not-a-virus:PSWTool.Win32.OEPass.h in Acrobat 6 Professional\PDF Password Crack.exe

eliuri Guest

Default not-a-virus:PSWTool.Win32.OEPass.h in Acrobat 6 Professional\PDF Password Crack.exe

Hello:

The following appeared in my Zone Alarm scheduled scan and in on-access scans when I attempted to upload the file to Virus Total:

"Decription Anti-virus detected an infected file
    Date / Time 2009/02/08 05:55:30-5:00 GMT
    Type On-Access scan
    Virus name not-a-virus:PSWTool.Win32.OEPass.h
    Filename C:\Programs-Utilities-Updates & Service Packs\Adobe Acrobat 6 Professional\PDF Password Crack.exe
    Action Infected
    Mode Auto

I placed the supposedly infected file in Quarantine. A search for tha file on my PC showed it to have been present since 2005.

Question:

1) How might I have been infected this way?

2) Does the fact that the virus attacked a file named Password Crack.exe in any way imply that my passwords--stored in my browsers-- were cracked into and are no longer safe.?

3) Is this possibly a false positive?

4) How might leaving this file in quarantine affect the functioning of the Adobe Acrobat Professional?

Thanks in advance:

-Eliuri

-Windows XP Professional Edition
    SP3

-Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite 7.0.,483.000

-Firefox 3.0.6
    -IE 7.0

Message Edited by eliuri on 02-08-2009 06:37 AM

Default Re: not-a-virus:PSWTool.Win32.OEPass.h in Acrobat 6 Professional\PDF Password Crack.exe

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>eliuri wrote:
    Virus name not-a-virus:PSWTool.Win32.OEPass.h
    1) How might I have been infected this way?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This sounds like an utility to crack PDF password... may be you donwloaded a long time ago and don't remember? :8}"not-a-virus" are not infections per se but dangerous or fake tools.
    Hello:
    Filename C:\Programs-Utilities-Updates &amp; Service Packs\Adobe Acrobat 6 Professional\PDF Password Crack.exe
    2) Is this possibly a flase positive?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Doubts its a false positive, the name of the file its pretty clear, LOL
    Hello:
    3) How might leaving this file in quarantine affect the functioning of the Adobe Acrobat Professional

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Don't think it will have any influence on AdobeCheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

eliuri Guest

Default Re: not-a-virus:PSWTool.Win32.OEPass.h in Acrobat 6 Professional\PDF Password Crack.exe

Thanks Fax:

I can't recall ever downloading such a file: PDF Password Crack.exe. Unless it was perhaps maliciously sent to me unawares?

I'm concerned about the fact that the virus attacked a file named Password Crack.exe might in some way imply that my passwords--stored in my browsers-- were cracked into and are no longer safe?

Or does this infection have nothing to do with compromising stored passwords?

Thanks again:

-Eliuri

Hi!the name of the file indicates an utility to break PDF passwords, nothing to do with your passwords or password stored on your system.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

eliuri Guest

Thank you Fax:

I guess that file must have been installed on the PC when I got it second hand. I gather that new virus definitions flagged it. Acrobat 6 seems just fine without it.

Thanks for the clarification on the &quot;not-a-virus thing&quot;...

Much appreciated

-Eliuri

Message Edited by eliuri on 02-09-2009 12:44 AM

Thread Information