Thread: Re: Unable to connect

blue_photon Guest

Default Re: Unable to connect

Hi,
    I just dowloaded and installed ZA Internet Security Suite. I had to download from a diffterent computer since something seems to be preventing the sick one for connecting or properly downloading from any Anti-Virus SW providers.
    The install went ok but when I try to update the Anti-Virus I also get an "Unable to connect" message. This happens for both for the Anti-Virus and the Anti-Spam updates.
    A scan of the machine showed only cookies and a popup engine, but no viruses.
    The address shown for the Anti-Spam is http://upd.zonelabs.com/zonealarm/online//catalog.zip so I tried entering this directly in the address bar but I get an "HTTP 404" error.
    I also tried this link from my otherwise healthy laptop and also get "HTTP 404".
    I have been having a very difficult time with this machine - I have tried 3 diffterent anti-virus packages, and spent 50 or 60 hours on this issue. Norton tech-support also gave up trying to fix the similar problem affecting Norton 360 (It cannot successfully run Norton Live Update. In this case it connects, and downloads all the security updates, then fails to successfully update).
    Please help, I am really getting tired of all
    this.
    ThanksBlue-Photon
    PS: Your tech support link suggested previously
    redirects to:
    http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...m?cid=W1000281, which is just the ZA product overview / main page,
    (i.e. no tech support there).

Please note that ZASS does not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled). To troubleshoot ZASS issues remove them and install back once you see that ZA works as it should. For example,Norton/Symantec, McAfee,Spyspweeper, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotS&D, PC tools Threatfire, otherantivirus, antispyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...PLease Read this Forum link..http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=154--------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:977955497
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200902.5305
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

reno_bk Guest

Ugh...I've been having this same problem for months. First it started that Zonealarm couldn't update the spyware portion, but the antivirus continued to update fine. Now, I"m unable to update either the antispy or the antivirus. So far, the campus tech support (I'm university faculty) has been completely unable to diagnose the problem and thinks it's a virus, and ZoneLabs has not been any help, either. It's incredibly frustrating, particularly because it's happening to both of my computers (laptop and desktop).

Something that I'm sure is related to this is the fact that I cannot download files from microsoft.com's "download center" to get security updates and software updates. This has been the case for the past couple of years -- when I click on a file at \\download.microsoft.com I get an error message saying the page cannot be displayed (just as I do when I'm trying to download updates from Zonelabs) or that it can't connect to the server. Still, I've spent countless hours troubleshooting this and trying various "fixes" suggested by tech support and no one knows what to do.

I wish I could help you, but I'll be watching this thread closely to see if someone else suggests something that might work.

Regards,
    Brian

Hi!check your systems for malware, look for expertise support.Run ALL the checks suggested here:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=3787Cheers,Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

reno_bk Guest

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, none of them worked.

1) running ZASS in safe mode produced no different results
    2) MBAM found nothing new
    3) SuperAntiSpy found nothing new
    4) DrWEB's bootable CD refused to run -- "boot device not available" whenever I booted from the CDROM
    5) A2's antivirus needs to access the internet in the very first step of its install routine to get updates...unfortunately, this is precisely the problem I'm having with ZASS and A2 could not get past this first step. It could not reach its server to log me on, so I never could run that one.

There is definitely something [virus??] that is preventing certain programs from accessing the internet to get updates, but it's not a problem with accessing the internet in general. I can surf the web just fine and have no trouble accessing most websites...it's microsoft's download site, apparently all antivirus download sites, etc that I'm blocked from. It's strange...I've tried an absolute pile of different AV/antispy products over the past couple of months and *nothing* has been able to pick up a virus on my machines, so I'm not even 100% sure that a virus is at the root of this.

Frustrated...

Hi!did you managed to update the definition of MBAM or Superantispyware if not then its malware...Just continue the suggestions on the list and post at bleepingcomputer your logs.Cheers,Fax

radiumball Guest

Hello Fax,My problem seems to be a little more serious than reno_bk. I am not only able to access zone alarm update
    or microsoft update but also not able to access http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
    and
    also http://downloads.superantispyware.co...ntiSpyware.exe.
    Please help me.Thanks

Hi!see here below how to get help from professionals:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.htmlCheers,Fax

Thread Information