Thread: Virus Scan crashes computer

ednamole Guest

Default Virus Scan crashes computer

Over the last few days when I'm running a virus scan it will crash my computer most of the time. I rebuilt everything from the os up. At first removing my soundcard seemed to do the trick (some sort of driver conflict, and not missing it).

My configuration is
    WinXP SP3
    3.25 GB ram
    Zonealarm security suite version 8.0.059.000
    anti-virus engine 6.02.678 DAT version 978160292

it has found the following virus Trojan.Win32.Inject.otb but I think it could be a false positive and is mainly associated with Adobe CS4 after effects, premiere, and media encoder's MOG_Framework. It is quarantined and presently not worried about it till further info.

The reason I removed my soundcard was that the report sent to MS said that there was a driver issue that caused the crash but this last one specifically mentioned the virus checker but not by name. One reason it gave was that there might be two virus checkers running but there is only Zonealarm security suite.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by EdnaMole on 02-13-2009 12:04 PM

Message Edited by EdnaMole on 02-13-2009 12:04 PM

mythras Guest

Default Re: Virus Scan crashes computer

I came across the same results with this Adobe file in the MOG Encoder folder, during an automatic overnight scan. It didn't crash the computer, though -- from what you've described so far, if I had to guess, I'd say your problems are outside of ZoneAlarm per se. IMHO.

However, as to this file which is supposedly infected with Trojan.Win32.Inject.obt, I could not quarantine it or anything else because it was in use. I had just rebooted the computer, meaning nothing in that folder should have been running (but I'm not sure if it loads as a driver or what). None of my other anti-malware tools picked up on it, so I'm hoping it was a false-positive.

I *should* have kept the file and uploaded it to virusscan.jotti.org or the like, to see what other programs think of it. Perhaps you might try that yourself. In my case, anything "CS4" is left over from a failed attempt at their trial version, so I didn't care that it would be deleted.

--
    XP SP3
    Security Suite 8.0.059.000
    Antivirus engine 6.0.2.678, DAT 978168278
    Spyware 5.0.202.0, DAT 01.200902.5335

ednamole Guest

Default Re: Virus Scan crashes computer

Seems the issue is actually with the Zonealarm firewall. I did a rebuild and ran tests as I was going along and all was fine till I installed Zonealarm's Firewall (without virus checker). I was installing zaSuiteSetup_80_059_000_en.exe but am going to back down a complete version to 7 and see what happens.

Thread Information