Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZA Slows PC

gamma Guest

Default ZA Slows PC

I've just upgraded from V7 to V8 for the second time.
    The first time caused 20 minute shut down & some site became inaccessable.These problems now seem fixed but I noticed that I get frequent serious slow downs.
    A little research with Task Manager shows the update client often grabs up to 90% of CPU and vsmon is not far behind.
    This is really impacting on using the pc.
    If this doesn't improve I shall reluctantly be looking for a new Firewall/Anti virus when the current subscription runs out.
    If anyone has any ideas of how to reduce the impact of thesetwo processes I'd be grateful
    Peter

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZA Slows PC

What other security is installed?
    Regular maintenace has been done (defrag, system file check, disk check, etc)?
    Clean install or just the regular upgrade that keeps the previous settings?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

gamma Guest

Windows Defender.
    I defrag regularly and run Spybot & Adware regulary plus running ccleaner &
    JV16.I confess it was an upgrade to keep my settings.
    Peter

Disable the Tea Timer in the SpyBot S&D, and do an unstall of the ZA.
    Then re-install the ZA with the Spybot and the Defender are both off when executing the ZA installer.
    Keep the Tea Timer off.
    See if this makes any difference.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

bobza Guest

Using ZASS 8.0.020.000 on clean system (no other firewall or AV/AS) Windows XP Home SP3 since upgrade was first available and have had vsmon.exe 100% CPU problems from the start. Upgrade also killed ability to use XP Restore function.

Every hour of PC operating time, vsmon.exe grabs the CPU. Waiting for a fix from ZA, but in the meantime I disconnect from Internet at my router and shutdown/restart ZASS when vsmon does its thing -- like right now while I was typing this. Keep Task Manager in the tray to watch CPU use -- you may also hear your PC fan wind up at high CPU use. Shutdown/restart only takes a minute or so and everything is OK for another 59 minutes. No need to shut any windows or apps. Also you may want to shutdown ZASS before shutting down PC for faster PC sign offs.

A cobbled fix, I agree, but the 31 step (or is more now?) uninstall is rather daunting too and why do I have to fix a ZA problem -- why can't ZA provide a program to do a PROPER & CERTAIN, FULL uninstall? I know there is one mentioned, but gurus then say if it doesn't work go to the 31 step uninstall, so the ZA uninstall program is not a sure bet.

<blockquote><hr>bobza wrote:
    Using ZASS 8.0.020.000 on clean system (no other firewall or AV/AS) Windows XP Home SP3 since upgrade was first available and have had vsmon.exe 100% CPU problems from the start. Upgrade also killed ability to use XP Restore function.

Every hour of PC operating time, vsmon.exe grabs the CPU. Waiting for a fix from ZA, but in the meantime I disconnect from Internet at my router and shutdown/restart ZASS when vsmon does its thing -- like right now while I was typing this. Keep Task Manager in the tray to watch CPU use -- you may also hear your PC fan wind up at high CPU use. Shutdown/restart only takes a minute or so and everything is OK for another 59 minutes. No need to shut any windows or apps. Also you may want to shutdown ZASS before shutting down PC for faster PC sign offs.

A cobbled fix, I agree, but the 31 step (or is more now?) uninstall is rather daunting too and why do I have to fix a ZA problem -- why can't ZA provide a program to do a PROPER & CERTAIN, FULL uninstall? I know there is one mentioned, but gurus then say if it doesn't work go to the 31 step uninstall, so the ZA uninstall program is not a sure bet.
    <hr></blockquote>
    Almost all of the time someone recommends the long steps to manual cleanup - there was an issue with the windows, or with third party software or with the original ZA install or the original uninstall/upgrade was blotched or if the ZA did some serious changes (changed antivirus or added some new features or designs).
    Occasional the drivers or hardware are at isue.
    Actually I usually recommend the usual uninstall - the manual cleanup is only needed in extreme cases.
    I seldom recommend the manual cleanup.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

gamma Guest

Thanks.
    I don't run teatimer.
    I've done a complete uninstall (the 31 point one - boring!!!) and re-installed.
    Have to wait &amp; see now.Two points of interest 1.
    ZA still has the licence number stashed away somewhere!
    2. Re-boot is MUCH faster when ZA is not there.
    Peter

<blockquote><hr>Gamma wrote:
    Thanks.
    I don't run teatimer.
    I've done a complete uninstall (the 31 point one - boring!!!) and re-installed.
    Have to wait & see now.Two points of interest 1.
    ZA still has the licence number stashed away somewhere!
    2. Re-boot is MUCH faster when ZA is not there.
    Peter

<hr></blockquote>

1). There is the ' /clean /rmlicense' switch to be used on the ZA uninstaller to remove the license file (yes it is a secret, but this switch does remove the license file during the uninstall).
    2). Using just the ZA Pro 5.5 and a decent third party antivirus over here, so my computer has a very fast boot time and shutdown time. I think both fw and av add about 15 seconds to the startups as opposed to no security installed.
    Any security installed increases the startup and shutdown times no matter which or what it is.

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

gamma Guest

Well having completed the uninstall at about 11:00 GMT I also forced an update and set the update interval to 24 hours.I've just returned from a visit and turned on the PC (15:00 GMT) and off it goes for a ZA update - do ZA use a different 24 hours to me?
    Quickly fired up task manager &amp; watched the two minute update time where the update client took between 30% and 95% of CPU.
    I know 2 minutes isn't long but when you are working and suddenly lose that much CPU the only thing to do is something other than use the computer.
    Interesting about the licence but I must admit I was't sorry about this as it did make life easier.
    Peter

Turn off the ZA automatic updater and the Smart Advisor to lessen the number of call ups.
    As for high cpu use when the scanners get updated, I can not really help - this is a ZA issue they have to address.

You could send the details off to Technical Support (free by email) and explain the situation.
    Hopefully they fix these problems in the next release.

https://www.zonealarm.com/store/cont...ch_support.jsp

I do not see this issue with the Pro or the other ZA versions, so I assuming it is only present in the ZAISS (with the antivirus scanner maybe causing the issues).

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information