Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZoneAlarm firewall and other antivirus and antispyware apps question

ednamole Guest

Default ZoneAlarm firewall and other antivirus and antispyware apps question

I read a couple of messages and am getting the following hints:

1. that you should install ZoneAlarm Firewall first before another antivirus or antispyware app
    2. no other app other than ZoneAlarm products due to it not playing nice or the other apps not playing nice

When I'm doing a rebuild I usually do Zonealarm Security Suite last. Everything used to be fine till I upgraded to version 8 from 7 (no longer installing it with antivirus support). So should I uninstall all other anitvirus and antispyware and zonealarm firewall? Then install zonealarm firewall first and the rest of the antivirus and antispyware apps after?

EdnaMole

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZoneAlarm firewall and other antivirus and antispyware apps question

<blockquote><hr>EdnaMole wrote:
    I read a couple of messages and am getting the following hints:

1. that you should install ZoneAlarm Firewall first before another antivirus or antispyware app
    2. no other app other than ZoneAlarm products due to it not playing nice or the other apps not playing nice

When I'm doing a rebuild I usually do Zonealarm Security Suite last. Everything used to be fine till I upgraded to version 8 from 7 (no longer installing it with antivirus support). So should I uninstall all other anitvirus and antispyware and zonealarm firewall? Then install zonealarm firewall first and the rest of the antivirus and antispyware apps after?

EdnaMole

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>

You should not be using another antivirus solution when using the ZAISS or ZA Antivirus - using two antiviruses will cause windows and performance issues. Big trouble using two seperate antiviruses at the same time! Regardless if one is on demand and the other is resdient - still big trouble!

As for the other spyware scanners, I use none so really cannot comment on the unmentioned programs you are talking around and not exactly describing.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

ednamole Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm firewall and other antivirus and antispyware apps question

I'm only using **bleep** and during install of ZASS I don't install the antivirus that comes along with ZASS.

EdnaMole

Still the antivirus drivers are installed anyways along with it's other files and always present in windows - even if not using it, it is still there and can be a problem.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

ednamole Guest

Thanks for the info. I'll be uninstalling ZASS and install only the free firewall. This should stop the problem of crashes, hopefully.

But one question. I never had a problem before I upgraded to ZASS 8. All of a sudden my machine crashes (this is even before an install of **bleep**). And it didn't seem to matter if I installed ZASS 6 or 7 before or after other antispyware apps. At the moment I'm quite dissatisfied with ZASS 8.

EdnaMole

Probably uninstalling the ZAISS first and then installing the version 8 would have been better.
    Plus those third party antispware scanners you not talking about or bothering to mention could be the problem.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

ednamole Guest

Sorry but forgot to mention this all started happening from a clean build. No other antivirus or ZA product installed other than ZASS 8. Upgraded to 8 once I bought my new machine (dualcore 6400), last ones motherboard died and had been running without a rebuild for 2 yrs+. That machine had ZASS 6 and then 7 running on it with a bunch of antispyware apps (Bazooka, ScanSpyware, Spy Sweeper, and Spybot - Search &amp; Destroy). Now while running ZASS 8 and the above apps plus SuperAntiSpware (and none of them running in the background; turned that all off) I have an unstable computer. Even when running a full antivirus scan with ZASS 8 my computer would crash (no other antivirus app installed). If this is what is to be expect with ZASS 8, I'd rather not install it and cancel my yearly subscription as it is not worth the headache. I honestly thought (after some of the error messages), that it was a driver conflict. But now it seems it is a s/w issue.

Also what is the issue with running other antispyware apps while ZASS 8 is doing its thing? Like I said earlier I'll try using the free version of ZA Firewall and see what happens. I have my fingers crossed and am hoping for the best.

EdnaMole

Ahem.
    'ScanSpyware' is declared to be a rogue scanner, not a legitimate scanner and is probably causing some issues.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/malwaren...ue.ScanSpyware and http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_...e.htm#products

not the best one to buy and use if itself is declared to illlegitimate.

'Bazooka' is of no value what so ever and should be removed.

SpyBot S&D maybe okay, but do not use the Tea Timer (conflicts with the ZA). But this is not the greatest antispyware scanner - it has lapsed from it's earlier days of fame and really is not of any value these days.

Spy Sweeper (assuming from webroot) is okay... but do not use it's email guard, site blocker and cookie blocker and antikeylogger guard and startup guard and search engine and browser home page protection as all of these conflict with the ZA firewall and the ZA's regular protections. Plus all of these areas are already covered by the ZA.

Superantispyware should be okay and so should the malwarebytes antimalware - both are excellent and tops in the field.

You should not really say it was a clean build - after bloating the system with the half dozen scanners it is no longer clean, but abused and adulterated by these extra scanners.

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 02-16-2009 08:15 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

ednamole Guest

Well I'm tired of this conversation as you've not answered my question as to why it is not recommended to run other antispyware apps.

Thanks for the heads up on which apps are not the best choices and what options not to use, that is helpful.

As for your comment about it not being a clean build but &quot;after bloating the system with the half dozen scanners it is no longer clean, but abused and adulterated by these extra scanners&quot;, I did a format of the hd during the install of windowsXP also and that is what I mean by a clean build. Like I had mentioned earlier none of them are running in the background (and by that you should assume at startup also). But to each their own.

I'm not using the free version of scanspyware and have had no problems with it and especially no &quot;aggressive advertising; false positives work as goad to purchase [A: 6-26-04 / U: 3-24-06]&quot;, I've never used the free version of it.

Goodbye

EdnaMole

<blockquote><hr>EdnaMole wrote:
    Well I'm tired of this conversation as you've not answered my question as to why it is not recommended to run other antispyware apps.

Thanks for the heads up on which apps are not the best choices and what options not to use, that is helpful.

As for your comment about it not being a clean build but "after bloating the system with the half dozen scanners it is no longer clean, but abused and adulterated by these extra scanners", I did a format of the hd during the install of windowsXP also and that is what I mean by a clean build. Like I had mentioned earlier none of them are running in the background (and by that you should assume at startup also). But to each their own.

I'm not using the free version of scanspyware and have had no problems with it and especially no "aggressive advertising; false positives work as goad to purchase [A: 6-26-04 / U: 3-24-06]", I've never used the free version of it.

Goodbye

EdnaMole
    <hr></blockquote>
    Examine your antispyware scanners - these most often install drivers and hook deep into the lower kernel of windows.
    Windows will allow for some hooks and additional drivers into the lower kernel, but not that many as people would like.
    Too many and windows starts to have issues.
    Plus often these drivers and lower kernel hooks are doing the very same thing covering the same areas - leading to issues of their own.
    This is regardless if the program startups with windows or not - often the drivers are still loaded and the hooks are still present regardless.
    Add into the pricture some graphic and video programs that add some more hooks and windows starts to become less efficent and less useable.
    Basically too many is the spoiler for windows - even if it was a fresh format and install, the same install of the same scanners just repeated the problem and really is not helping in the long run.
    You have a full security suite which offers all the basic protections that is needed by the average home user. Any other scanners are not always needed.
    (I stopped using spyware scanners so time ago - a few years ago - and never miss them since removing them. Just using a decent antivirus and the ZA Pro 5.5 for the security applications whereas you have a complete security suite to use for full coverage)

Yes, some scanners will not install any drivers or use deep hooks, however these scanners are not designed for rootkits or certain types of troyans or other malware that resides in the lower kernel of windows.
    Instead these scanners are strictly for removing cookies, some adaware or cws or perhaps a vile BHO or toolbar, or some other garden variety types of mild spyware. This alone reduces their value as these certain kinds of spyware/adware can often be removed manually without the aid of any third party scanner.

For the most part the modern antivirus, almost any modern antivirus, now includes definitions and detections for spyware and adware.
    Along with excellent detectiosn for troyans and rootkits, along with their traditional detections for worms and viruses.
    They are edging out the traditional third party spyware scanners out of the picture and off the desktop.
    It is better to avoid getting the spyware than use additional scanners - not to get infected in the first place.
    Avoidance of infections and malware is easy and simple - but often the removal can be hard.
    Thus I choose avoidance of infections instead.

Best regards.
    Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 02-16-2009 10:04 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information