Thread: ScanningProcess using too much memory

martyxb Guest

Default ScanningProcess using too much memory

I just upgraded my CPU to a Quad Core Q6600 CPU and have 4 instances of ScanningProcess running While I have seen all four using 110MB of memory, when things quiet down almost no CPU usage but two of them are still using 110MB of memory the other two approx 800K. I have a Dell Precision 390 running Windows XP Pro SP3
    w/2gb memory. What gives?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

martyxb Guest

Default Re: ScanningProcess using too much memory

Quieted down to one process at 110MB the three other at around 1MB
    - still way to much.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>MartyxB wrote:
    Quieted down to one process at 110MB the three other at around 1MB- still way to much.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's a Function of the Kaspersky AV Scanner..If you have a single Core it opens only one proccess, and 4 process on a Quad core..Try the Following to re-configure the AV Scan process..you can go into, Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware, Advanced Optionsa.) Scan Scheduleb.) Set Update frequencyc.) Scan Target to limit Scan to just C:d.) Scan Mode - Set to Normal or Quick Scane.) Scan Options set Priority to High to Speed up Scan..--------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:978368860
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200902.5345
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

martyxb Guest

I have it set to scan weekly Sat 1am. Update I have for 3 hours. I still have one process using 110MB. I just checked on my laptop, XP Media, AMD FX dual core, 2gb memory. Both instances are using 800K, same scheduling as my desktop. Just what is that process doing with the 110MB? I see no CPU usage. Computer has been up since 8am (it is now 7:30pm and that process has used a total of 14 seconds yet still grabbing 110MB with a peak memory usage of 217MB!

martyxb Guest

Went on 2 or 3 websites and now have 3 processes using 110MB.

Hi!yes, its normal. When active they will consume what available in memory... then they will release it when finished or release when needed by the system. When idle they should consume 600kb.If you are running other security tools or defrag tools they will tend to be much more active.Cheers,Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

ac Guest

so how do we fix this? I also have a quad core and two Scanningprocess.exe apps are using 112MB and two at 1 or 2 MB.
    My machine slows down unless i disable the ZA suite.
    I don't have any other applications other than firefox at the moment.
    This product use to be quite good .. this has only been happening since the last patch.

anotheroldman Guest

Is there anyone at ZA listening - when are we going to get a fix for this awful mess?
    I seem to have abated it - but only by a few percent - by using Task Manager/ Process tab/ right click on Scanningprocess.exe/ Click Set Priority/ Select Low/ You will get
    a warning from Bill - ingnore by clicking OK.
    You need to do this for each instance of scanningprocess.exe... and unfortunately
    you need to do it at each re-boot, as it re-sets back to Normal priority.
    Product indeed used to be good so we need a work-around immediately with a permanent fix in 7 days. Can ZA please confirm this will be delivered, otherwise I am afraid we will be switching.

There are Over 60 Million Users of ZoneAlarm world Wide..This User Forum exist to help the Few Users who encounter a problem and need to be guided in the right direction by Other more Experienced Users..It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..
    If you would Describe your Computer Setup/OS and Version of Zone Alarm that you are having a problem with
    and what difficulty you are having, and what Previous Version of ZA and Norton, McAfee or other Security programs that you have installed,
    there are several knowledgeable Volunteer Participants willing to help you try solving your problem with Zone Alarm..Please provide as much detail and error messages etc. that you see on your ComputerMonitor
    ZoneAlarm Tech Support and Customer Service do notMonitor this Forum..There are two Seperate Web-links for those two services..Customer Service www.zonealarm.com/csform or www.zonealarm.com/support/ click on Live Chat IconZA Tech Support (Requires Valid ZA License Key) www.zonealarm.com/tsform
    GeorgeV

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>AC wrote:
    so how do we fix this? I also have a quad core and two Scanningprocess.exe apps are using 112MB and two at 1 or 2 MB.
    My machine slows down unless i disable the ZA suite.
    I don't have any other applications other than firefox at the moment.
    This product use to be quite good .. this has only been happening since the last patch.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..
    If you would Describe your Computer Setup/OS and Version of Zone Alarm that you are having a problem with
    and what difficulty you are having, and what Previous Version of ZA and Norton, McAfee or other Security programs that you have installed,
    there are several knowledgeable Volunteer Participants willing to help you try solving your problem with Zone Alarm..Please provide as much detail and error messages etc. that you see on your ComputerMonitor. If you have a question or a problem Please start your own thread--------------------------Have you Upgraded to 8.0.298.000?--------------------------------------------------------
    WinXP SP3
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.298.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.000
    Driver version:8.0.298.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:979462729
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200902.5425
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    -------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV