Thread: Computer is nearly unusable during virus definition updates

gophergulch Guest

Default Computer is nearly unusable during virus definition updates

I have Zonealarm installed on an older (PIII) computer running XP Pro.
    When a virus definition update is running, the computer is almost totally occupied with that, and all other tasks (opening a file window or reading an email
    for example) can't be accomplished without long waits for response.
    Is there a way to assign a lower priority to the Zonealarms' updates, so that they are interrupted when the computer has other tasks to perform?
    Thanks in advance,Tony Allen in Saskatoon Canada

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

findley Guest

Default Re: Computer is nearly unusable during virus definition updates

<blockquote><hr>Gophergulch wrote:
    I have Zonealarm installed on an older (PIII) computer running XP Pro.
    When a virus definition update is running, the computer is almost totally occupied with that, and all other tasks (opening a file window or reading an email
    for example) can't be accomplished without long waits for response.
    Is there a way to assign a lower priority to the Zonealarms' updates, so that they are interrupted when the computer has other tasks to perform?
    Thanks in advance,Tony Allen in Saskatoon Canada

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>Gophergulch,
    I know of no way within zone alarm to set a lower priority for zone alarm updates.
    I do know how it can bring to a screeching halt work on an older computer - I dealt with it with workarounds - my choices were two: let it do it's updating or if I did not want to be interrupted I turned off auto updating did my work and then turned autoupdating back on.
    Not ideal, but it worked for me.
    When the zone alarm internet security suite added the time intervals to updating that was a big help - but unfortuantely in the latest version despite different time intervals that can be selected for updating - the ZAISS updates hourly - this is a known bug.
    I've read in this forum that the current beta corrects this but no known
    ETA
    for when it hits the streets for downloading.

Findley

gophergulch Guest

Thanks for your response.
    I hope Checkpoint will either add such a &quot;priority&quot; choice in the setup options, or at least a &quot;lower ZA priority&quot; option in the menu that appears when you right-click the icon in the task bar.
    There's a &quot;stop all internet activity&quot; choice there now, but that's extreme, &amp; I have to remember to undo it after I've completed the work that ZA was slowing down so much.
    Zonealarm is the first Security Suite I've used (getting along with simpler single-purpose alternatives previously, like their free firewall).
    This issue is definitely now on my list of features to look for when the time comes to renew ZA or choose another product.
    Thanks again,Tony in Saskatoon.

findley Guest

<blockquote><hr>Gophergulch wrote:
    Thanks for your response.
    I hope Checkpoint will either add such a &quot;priority&quot; choice in the setup options, or at least a &quot;lower ZA priority&quot; option in the menu that appears when you right-click the icon in the task bar.
    There's a &quot;stop all internet activity&quot; choice there now, but that's extreme, &amp; I have to remember to undo it after I've completed the work that ZA was slowing down so much.
    Zonealarm is the first Security Suite I've used (getting along with simpler single-purpose alternatives previously, like their free firewall).
    This issue is definitely now on my list of features to look for when the time comes to renew ZA or choose another product.
    Thanks again,Tony in Saskatoon.
    <hr></blockquote>Tony in Saskatoon,
    Youre' welcome.

Your suggested zone alarm internet security suite
    feature additions are interesting.

Anytime software
    is made
    even more user friendly and customizable, that's a good thing for the user and for
    sales.
    We're only
    users here in this forum.

Have you sent your suggestions to Checkpoint?
    http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...rvice-form.htm
    I'm not aware of any other security suite that offers this feature and the downside, in my opinion,
    is not getting definitions immediately - particularly when there is an outbreak of a variant of malware.
    Keeping the definitions updated, for me, continues to be the highest priority.
    I'd rather pause - if I have to -
    for definitions to update than spend hours (?) or days (?) cleaning malware off a computer or computer network.
    Regards,Findley

Thread Information