Thread: ZA Icon in system tray - there's a cross on it and I don't know what it means.

foxinsocks Guest

Default ZA Icon in system tray - there's a cross on it and I don't know what it means.

Hello.
    Just installed ZA anti virus 8.0.059.000 today and the icon in my system tray keeps toggling between the green and red bars and a Z with a red cross on the bottom left.

I've scanned my computer so I know the software is working on some level.
    I've turned the firewall off because I already have one that runs via my router.
    Any ideas??
    I've used ZA in the past on this computer with no probs.
    The old version had expired and I went direct to the website to get the new version
    Thanks!

PS - I don't know how to find out which version of XP I'm running so I've just selected any so that I can submit this post.
    PPS - I'm not very tecchy...

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Antivirus

Message Edited by FoxInSocks on 02-25-2009 12:18 PM

Default Re: ZA Icon in system tray - there's a cross on it and I don't know what it means.

Hi!try to reset the ZA settings to see if it will fix the issue:1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after rebootCheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

naivemelody Guest

Default Re:You can use router's hard-firewall + soft-firewall

You say &quot; I've turned the firewall off because I already have one that runs via my router.&quot;<hr>Please turn 'on' the ZA firewall and keep it running. Internet Zone Security = High /// Trusted Zone Security = Medium<hr>The firewall on your router is considered as a 'hard-firewall.' ZA firewall's are 'soft-firewalls.' You can have both.Your router checks/ filters
    inbound connections; but not outbound (not as well as a soft-firewall - like ZoneAlarm firewalls). A soft-firewall will check both inbound and outbound; and you can have the 'hard firewall' working inconjunction with a 'soft-firewall.' What ZA firewall's can do, is prevent your pc from becoming a 'bot' pc - sending out spam, or malicious software/ content
    to others, or sending out your 'important data - ( ID fraud/ theft) to hackers.<hr>
    Just One, Not Two -- Never use two 'software' firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility/ 'removal tool'
    or if not available use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel. You can add/ use a 'hardware firewall' included
    in a
    Wired Router, Wireless Router or Broadband Gateway with your ZoneAlarm firewall.

At a minimum, home computers need to have personal soft-firewall and anti-malware software installed and kept up-to-date to find and remove viruses, spyware, Trojans and other malware. A home network that uses a wired or wireless router with firewall( hard-firewall)
    features provides additional protection.
    You can click here for more info. &gt; http://www.firewallguide.com/software.htm<hr>

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 02-25-2009 10:14 PM

foxinsocks Guest

Default Re: ZA Icon in system tray - there's a cross on it and I don't know what it means.

Thanks for your help.
    That seems to have worked!
    All the best.

foxinsocks Guest

Default Re: Re:You can use router's hard-firewall + soft-firewall

Thanks for the info.
    Have just reset ZA and have left the firewall running.
    Cheers.

You're welcome!Thank you for taking the time to report back.Fabio

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information