I had an unpleasant issue with both ZoneAlarm and Windows updates failing. The situation had been on already quite a while until I noticed it. Earlier postings on similar problems provided quite valuable help in taken the correct action to fix the issue. This was a case of malware, but a different one compared to earlier cases. Since ZoneAlarm was pretty much incapable of eliminating the bugs I used SuperAntiSpyware to scan the computer. These were the main findings:
Memory items scanned : 482
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 6159
Registry threats detected : 4
File items scanned : 24640
File threats detected : 12
*** not essential in this issue ***
Trojan.DNS-Changer (Hi-Jacked DNS)
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\username\LOCAL SETTINGS\TEMP\TMP5A.TMP
It was the DNS hi-jacking bugs that did their dirty deeds. A clear sign of how they were working was e.g. the fact that when given Zonelabs download site address to Zonealarm trusted site list ZA resolved the name back to computers own loopback address. DNS hi-jack bugs apparently captured and intercepted a preset list of security update site addresses (incl. ZoneLabs and Microsoft) preventing computer accessing them in any possible way.
Getting the malware detection and elimination software with another computer and then running it on the infected one was did the trick eventually. After successfully cleaning the computer security updates were successful again. What is somewhat worrying, though, is the fact that these bugs got through ZoneAlarm protection in the first place though updates to Antivirus and Anti-Spyware were being checked on a daily basis.
Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite