Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: False Positive with Adobe Flash from file name ...Flash10b.ocx ?

Hybrid View

chaddoman Guest

Default False Positive with Adobe Flash from file name ...Flash10b.ocx ?

I installed the most current Adobe Flash player avialable, 10.0.22.87, within the last few days on both of my two computers on a network.Both computers find a Trojan W32.lhdyzz when running a Spyware scan. After deleting the Trojan, the computer reboots and subsequently when another Spyware scan is performed, the Trojan is again reported. Removing the file, pointed to in the scan results, cures the problem, but of course renders the Flash Player inoperative.The file name is: C:\WINDOWS\system3MacromeFlash\Flash10b.ocx
    I have removed and reinstalled the Adobe Flash player to no avail.
    I believe this to be a 'false positive'. Both of my systems respond alike.
    Both System configurations:Windows XP Pro with all current Windows Updates applied.
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite: 8.0.298.000
    I have been unable to email Tech. Support with this problem all day.

spywarefeedback@us.checkpoint.com

Permanent Failure: Other address status

Delivery last attempted at Mon, 9 Mar 2009 17:54:05 -0000
    Has anyone had this problem?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

stoneil Guest

Default Re: False Positive with Adobe Flash from file name ...Flash10b.ocx ?

Yes I too have suffered this false positive
    I can only assume that the data base has found that the active x has changed size fromthe previous version and therefore thrown it up as a Trojan.
    Hope they fix it quick

Hi!please report to ZA technical support: www.zonealarm.com/tsform and provide as much information as possible so ZAlabs can fic the false positive rapidly.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

chaddoman Guest

I have reported this via the link in Guru's message. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.Thanks.
    Chad

chaddoman Guest

Many thanks to others who responded to my original message in support of identifying the problem.Thanks for speaking up.
    Chad

chaddoman Guest

Fax Guru,
    If you believe the following is not an appropriate response, please feel free to criticize, omit or disclaim it.
    Ananda, I'm responding to your message to 'Fax Guru' above. Please keep in mind that my suggestions below are not from 'Fax Guru' or anyone else from ZoneAlarm. I share your concerns expressed within your message, of course. Heres my 'work-around' to this problem:
    For each time the Spyware Scan is run and I am able to view the results in the Scanning Status window, when I observe an occurence for the Win32.lhdyzz Trojan I:
    1. Verify that this particular occurrence is pointing to the same file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash10b.ocx. (See 'Detail' field, where it names the file.)2. If it is the same file, I elect to choose "Ignore Once' from the drop-down menu under the 'Treatment' column heading. Then click ' Apply'. 'Ignore Once' is then shown in the Treatment column for this Trojan occurrence.
    With these choices, after I click 'Done' the windows closes and ZoneAlarm does not recommend a system boot. I believe it's important to remember that each time Spyware Scan is run, the user should carefully verify the selections above are made only for this particular occurrence of the Win32.lhdyzz Trojan, relating only to this particular Flash file. Any other occurrence of this Trojan relating to another file in your system should be carefully considered before selecting an option in the drop-down window.
    The method I've described above avoids having to boot the system each time this particular Trojan occurrence is observed in the Scan Results if one selects 'Delete' from the drop-down menu. My work-around is based on the assumption that we believe this particular Trojan to be a 'false positive'. In deed, it appears that another of the contributers has already had the file tested for a virus/Trojan and it seems to be benign.
    I know that ZoneAlarm will likely fix this problem soon and it will no longer be showing up on the Scan Results. They work pretty hard
    to providie a robust, full-featured
    product.
    Again, the method I've chosen to address this particular problem is my own. Each reader should make his/her own decision as to how they will address their own particular problem or set of circumstances.
    Best regards,
    Chaddoman

ananda Guest

Hi, Guru Fax
    Got the same problem last night.
    How/when will we know this has been fixed? Will there be a message here or will it be by installing things again and see what gives?
    Thanks for your precious time.
    Kind regards,
    Ananda

Message Edited by Ananda on 03-10-2009 10:19 AM

Hi!please report to ZA technical support...They will help you on the issue.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

za_avastfan Guest

Dear ZA Forum,

I too just picked up exactly the same 'detection' with the anti-spyware function in ZA Pro.

This is most likely a false positive.

I uploaded the file to virustotal.com and 39 different virus scanners all found NOTHING! :-)

Hopefully this will be fixed in the next update.

ZA_avastfan

za_avastfan Guest

Default Still not fixed!!

Just completed a scan with the latest anti-spyware update (01.200903.5495).

ZA still haven't corrected this false positive. This error is still showing up in the scan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information