Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZAISS 8.0.298.000 'unable to contact update server' for AV/AS Vista Home Premium SP1.

jlconrod Guest

Default ZAISS 8.0.298.000 'unable to contact update server' for AV/AS Vista Home Premium SP1.

I installed the 8.0.298.000 update to ZAISS.
    After installing the update on a Vista Home Premium SP1 laptop, when WindowsUpdate downloaded and installed the batch of Critical Updates, ZAISS once again reported errors with Antivirus, Antispware and Program updates with the familiar 'unable to contact update server'.
    Subsequently, I followed GeorgeV's (guru) procedures to resolve the problem.
    I have followed the procedures exactly, but still receive 'unable to contact update server'.
    To summarize my four attempts to fix the issue:
    Reset ZAISS 8.0.298.000 from the tray icon.
    After a reboot, problem still persisted.
    Used ZAISS 8 'clean tool' to uninstall, including deleting Internet Logs, etc.
    After a reboot, did a reinstall, automatic configuration, full scan,
    reboot.
    In Safe Mode, did a deep scan wtih no problems found.
    Rebooted to Normal Administator-equivalent login.
    'Unable to contact update server' error still persisted.
    Downloaded a fresh copy of 8.0.298.000 to a new directory.
    Download the standalone 'clean tool'.
    Unchecked 'load a startup'.
    Rebooted, did a clean tool uninstall using the fresh copy of the clean tool, rebooted.
    Did a clean install, automatic configuration, rebooted to Safe Mode.
    In Safe Mode did a deep scan with no problems found.
    Rebooted to Admin-equivalent login.
    Problem status unchanged.
    4. Finally, followed GeorgeV effective steps procedure, same as Step 3.
    Download the suggested CCleaner and did the default Registry Scan and cleanup.
    Did the Clean Install of ZAISS 8.0.298.000 with automatic configuration, reboots, etc.
    As suggested,
    manually added all the Microsoft Programs and Services not automatically discovered by ZA, and confirmed ZA Program Files settings had Green Checks on everything suggested by GeorgeV.
    Ensured my Router root IP, ZoneAlarm, ZoneLabs, Microsoft key web sites are in Firewall Trusted Zone.
    Did the Safe Mode reboot and Deep Scan, no trouble found.
    ZAISS 8 automatic discovery on and Green check still OK.
    After confirming ZAISS 8.0.298.000 was exactly configured as suggested, did another reboot.
    However, Preference Program Update Check and AV/AS Update Check still give 'unable to contact update server' errors.
    ZA and Windows Security Center both report AV/AS signatures are out of date.
    Windows Firewall is NOT enabled, but ZAISS 8 IS enabled.
    Only other tools on PC are Windows Defender and Google Toolbar.
    The 'unable to contact update server' error occurs whether Windows Defender is on or off.
    Web connection is 5MBps WPA2 WiFi LAN to 8MBps Linksys Router and Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem, running Internet Explorer 7.
    BTW, error occurs even with hardwire ethernet connection to Router.
    Let me know if you need additional configuration information or clarification of the troubleshooting procedures I have followed.

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZAISS 8.0.298.000 'unable to contact update server' for AV/AS Vista Home Premium SP1.

Hi!please post the content of the _updLog.txt in C:\Windows\System32\ZoneLabs\avsys\Download, install update and run MBAM and Superantispyware:http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
    http://www.superantispyware.com/download.htmlDid you install anything between this and the previous build? Updated drivers of your nvidia card?Did you checked your hosts file? Been running A vast antivirus before? Any proxy installed?Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 03-10-2009 08:39 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jlconrod Guest

Default Re: ZAISS 8.0.298.000 'unable to contact update server' for AV/AS Vista Home Premium SP1.

00:54:33:
    ================================================== =======
    =====
    Trace log started. Tue Mar 10 00:54:33 2009
    =====
    Directory "product_path" not exists: C:\Windows\system32\zonelabs\avsys\product
    Directory "reserve_dir" not exists: C:\Windows\system32\zonelabs\avsys\reserve
    Updater build: 1.2.007, compiled for: Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Windows Workstations:5.0.676.0

Executable file name: C:\Windows\system32\ZoneLabs\UpdClient.exe
    Usage of proxy server is disabled for all sources, because proxy server address is not specified
    Updater configuration:

product 'ZAAV'

version ''
    Updater settings:

current user: SYSTEM

local region Russia

Update objects: update bases enabled, update patches enabled

Retranslation is not required

AdminKit transport is enabled

network timeout 40

log level 10

FTP works in active mode

rollback folder C:\Windows\system32\zonelabs\avsys\reserve

retranslation folder

temporary folder C:\Windows\system32\zonelabs\avsys\temp

updates_retransl 0

proxy server address :8080

authorization methods: none

updater identity string: AAAAwmWBA

force ignore proxy mode
    Product configurarion:

application: 0

installation identifier: 22736

session identifier: 2

serial number:

product folder: C:/Windows/system32/zonelabs/avsys/product/

root folder: C:/Windows/system32/zonelabs/avsys/root/

language: 1

Components: 'AVS':5.0.0.0, 'Updater':5.0.0.0
    Getting updater lists for product 'ZAAV'
    Source list:

user defined URL http://kav.zonelabs.com/, proxy disabled

Downloading files from user defined URL http://kav.zonelabs.com/, proxy disabled
    Network layer timeout is set to 40 seconds
    Update started
    XML configuration file is not found 'C:/Windows/system32/zonelabs/avsys/root/updcfg.xml'
    Using hardcoded root update description file information
    Read configuration from file 'C:/Windows/system32/zonelabs/avsys/root/updcfg.xml': primary index = 'file master.xml, Application , Component , relative URL index/, local path /, original path , size -1, signature , entry is obligatory'
    Update primary index information: 'file master.xml, Application , Component , relative URL index/, local path C:/Windows/system32/zonelabs/avsys/root/, original path , size -1, signature , entry is obligatory'
    ========= Downloading primary index to update temporary folder C:/Windows/system32/zonelabs/avsys/temp/ZAAV/index/ =========
    Try directoried update structure to download primary index file
    Host name kav.zonelabs.com resolved and added to cache, address is: 76.14.1.151
    HTTP get file: authorization type: no authorization (phase: no information about authorization)
    Host name 76.14.1.151 resolved and added to cache, address is: 76.14.1.151
    Could not connect to 76.14.1.151:80
    Published: ev_type = 'UPD_Error', parameters: 'Body' = '205', parameters 2: 'Srv' = 'kav.zonelabs.com'
    Get remote files result: Can not connect to HTTP source
    ========= Downloading primary index result Connection to source can not be established =========
    Primary index not downloaded: file master.xml, Application , Component , relative URL index/, local path C:/Windows/system32/zonelabs/avsys/root/, original path , size -1, signature , entry is obligatory result = Connection to source can not be established
    Downloading files from user defined URL http://kav.zonelabs.com/, proxy disabled
    ========= Downloading primary index to update temporary folder C:/Windows/system32/zonelabs/avsys/temp/ZAAV/index/ =========
    Hostname kav.zonelabs.com resolved from cache, address is: 76.14.1.151
    HTTP get file: authorization type: no authorization (phase: no information about authorization)
    Hostname 76.14.1.151 resolved from cache, address is: 76.14.1.151
    Published: ev_type = 'UPD_Error', parameters: 'Body' = '205', parameters 2: 'Srv' = 'kav.zonelabs.com'
    ========= Downloading primary index result Connection to source can not be established =========
    Primary index not downloaded: file master.xml, Application , Component , relative URL index/, local path C:/Windows/system32/zonelabs/avsys/root/, original path , size -1, signature , entry is obligatory result = Connection to source can not be established
    Hostname kav.zonelabs.com resolved from cache, address is: 76.14.1.151
    Hostname 76.14.1.151 resolved from cache, address is: 76.14.1.151
    Update failed
    ******** Update operation result Connection to source can not be established ********
    =====
    Trace log finished. Tue Mar 10 00:54:33 2009 =====
    Only new installs were Vista WindowsUpdates Critical Updates of 03 Mar 2009.
    Previously used GeorgeV's suggestions of MBAM which errored out could
    install/run.
    SuperAntiSpyware and Dr.Web CureIt reported nothing found.
    Uninstalled those progs before Clean Install of 8.0.298.000.
    BTW, my language is NOT Russian as reported in AVSys log.
    Language is U.S. English, no Proxy installed or running.
    TIA, John

jlconrod Guest

I just remembered.
    Just before installing 0.8.298.000 I did download two St. Patricks Day desktop themes.
    They scanned with 0.8.59.000 and current AV/AS signatures of the time with no viruses found.
    Neither theme worked so I uninstalled, them, rebooted, and did a deep scan with 0.8.59.000, AV still reported nothing founds.
    Shortly after that I upgraded to 0.8.298.000.
    WindowsUpdate downloaded the 3 Mar 2009 Critical Updates and after the Critical Updates I experienced the unable to contact update server with for Program, AV and AS updates.
    Adobe Flash Player also installed a new update.
    Possibly there might have been a Trojan or Worm in the desktop theme(s), a problem with post SP-1 Win Critical Updates, or an issue with the latest Flash player.
    I could try new downloads of MBAM and the other alternative AV tools you suggested.
    Please let me know.
    I am a power user, and a retired Computer Consultant, as well as a experienced volunteer beta tester for Microsoft and several other companies so am familiar with security software and general practice safe computing.
    However, stuff happens, as with the current issue.
    I am currrently a confidential beta tester for Diabetes management software for a German company.
    They also practice safe computing, and I always scan their beta test build updates before installing them.
    I installed an update to their software a few days ago, but these are late builds and the application is stable, so an unlikely source of the problem.
    FYI, I also have Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 and an HP iPAQ hx2495b PDA, as well as a Logitech QuickCam Fusion, Skype 4.0, and WildTangent Orb games with connect online even for standalone games.
    Another possibility is a Facebook hidden driveby or Plaxo social networking.
    Let me know if there are any other apps or web that I should mention in this thread.
    Should I turn on Windows Firewall and/or Windows Defender in the interim?
    TIA, John

twixt Guest

Hi there

I am having exactly the same problem.

I have just reinstalled my copy of Vista Ultimate with the network adaptors, the latest Vista patches, Firefox and Java runtime. I have now installed ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version 8.0.298.000. I was previously on ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 80_059_000 on Vista and it was working smoothly.

I have followed the instructions in http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...ssage.id=27077 . And have also booted to safe mode and removed everything in the C:\Windows\System32\ZoneLabs\Updates folder and retried. I also tried a complete uninstall and reinstall of ZA.

Should I uninstall ZA Extreme and downgrade to ZA Internet Security Suite?

I tried to paste the contents of the file _updLog.txt here but I received the error "Message Body: Field must be shorter than 20000 characters in length." The file is 2972081 characters, 379957 words, 15466 lines long. Is there any particular part of the file that is diagnostic that I could paste in?

The last few lines are:

16:08:34: File copied: 'C:/Windows/system32/zonelabs/avsys/Bases/ext002.avc' => 'C:/Windows/system32/zonelabs/avsys/temp/ZAAV/bases/five/avc/ForDiff/ext002.avc'
    16:08:34: Hostname kav.zonelabs.com resolved from cache, address is: 210.9.88.58
    16:08:34: HTTP get file: authorization type: no authorization (phase: authorization is not required)
    16:08:34: HTTP request sent:
    GET /diffs/bases/five/avc/ext002.avc.uau HTTP/1.0
    Host: kav.zonelabs.com
    Pragma: no-cache
    Cache-Control: no-cache
    Connection: keep-alive
    User-Agent: AAAAjzJBA

16:08:35: HTTP response received. Header:
    HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found
    Server: Apache
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
    Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 05:08:34 GMT
    Content-Length: 15
    16:08:35: HTTP message successfully received, content length = 15
    16:08:35: Get remote files result: File not found
    16:08:35: File C:/Windows/system32/zonelabs/avsys/Bases/ext002.avc can not be downloaded with difference file compression mechanism, result = File does not exist on source
    16:08:35: Hostname kav.zonelabs.com resolved from cache, address is: 210.9.88.58
    16:08:35: HTTP get file: authorization type: no authorization (phase: authorization is not required)
    16:08:35: HTTP request sent:
    GET /bases/five/avc/ext002.avc HTTP/1.0
    Host: kav.zonelabs.com
    Pragma: no-cache
    Cache-Control: no-cache
    User-Agent: AAAAjzJBA

16:09:15: WaitForTime(): timed out, waited 40 seconds
    16:09:15: WaitForTime() error in stdSocket::Recv(): socket error: timeout expired
    16:09:15: socket error: timeout expired
    16:09:15: Response has not been received from server, result Socket timeout error
    16:09:15: Error setting network module timeout
    16:09:15: Get remote files result: Socket timeout error
    16:09:15: Download error
    16:09:15: Download update files result Download timeout
    16:09:15: ========= download update bases operation, result: Download timeout =========
    16:09:15: Update failed
    16:09:15: ******** Update operation result Download timeout ********
    16:09:15: ================================================== =======
    16:09:15: ===== Trace log finished. Wed Mar 11 16:09:15 2009 =====
    16:09:15: ================================================== =======

Hi!you have a wrong IP in the connection that ZASS tries to update the antivirus (76.14.1.151), your network + TCP/IP is misconfigured or you have malware.Try to download MBAM again this time save the file with a different random name.Cheers,Fax

jlconrod Guest

Fax: Thanks for the response on my logfile.
    In the interim I did a fresh download of Superantispyware.
    A complete scan of all drives completed successfully.
    No malware found, but some benign tracking adware tracking cookies were found and quarantined.
    I also did a fresh download of MBAM, although before I received your response to the ZA AVsys log file.
    The MBAM download was there just the default filename with an appended [1].
    A deep scan of all drives stalled with an Error Code 721 (0,28) which I reported to MalwareBytes Help Desk Bug Report.
    As you suggest, I will do another download with a randomized filename, then perform a deep scan of all drives.
    BTW, if I have Superantispyware resident protection running, should I uncheck ZAISS AV/AS protection?
    Otherwise there may be a conflict with two antivirus programs running.
    Please clarify.
    Also, should Windows Defender and Windows Firewall be off or on?
    I would like to have interim protection, but do not want program duplication to interfere with the troubleshooting process.
    Please specifically clarify these settings also.
    TIA and thanks for your suggestions and continued support.

jlconrod Guest

In my last response I forgot to include comments on my local IP.
    DHCP from my ISP assigns a relatively static "external" IP 64.85.227.[xxx].
    My Router assigns an internal LAN IP in the format 192.168.2.xxx with WPA2 psk protection.
    The router IP is in the ZAISS Firewall Trusted Zone.
    FYI, I tried to post a TS request to ZoneAlarm, but kept receiving an error that the text was too long (in the TSForm Problem Description box.
    When a cleared the box and reopened to a new TSPost request, with just a short summary in the Problem Description box, after using Submit for the request, I received an IE7 error with a mostly blank browser window.
    When I click the check connection hyperlink on that page, the return reported no trouble found with the connection.
    I could open other web sites, but cannot successfully submit a request on the TSForm.
    This may help with diagnostics.
    It sounds suspiciously like some IP or IE7 hijacker, though Superantispyware and CCleaner report no infection found.
    I'll post again after the new MBAM download and scan.
    Regards,
    John

Hi!looks like there isreally something wrong with your system, you can't even submit a ticket to ZA In ZA turn OFF all privacy control (cookies, adblocking and mobile code) and try to submit the ticket again.Use IE and a free e-mail system like hotmail or gmail.Superantipsyware free does not conflict with ZA (there is no resident part), you could simply Uncheck under preferences to prevent superantispyware to start when windows start.Run MBAM but in SAFE MODE, remember to update it before running it.Check if you have any router hijack. Is the router password protected and password not the default one?You could have a look here below to reset your TCP/IPhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 03-11-2009 08:32 AM

jlconrod Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:
    Hi!looks like there is
    really something wrong with your system, you can't even submit a ticket to ZA
    In ZA turn OFF all privacy control (cookies, adblocking and mobile code) and try to submit the ticket again.Use IE and a free e-mail system like hotmail or gmail.
    Superantipsyware free does not conflict with ZA (there is no resident part), you could simply Uncheck under preferences to prevent superantispyware
    to start when windows start.Run MBAM but in SAFE MODE, remember to update it before running it.
    Check if you have any router hijack. Is the router password protected and password not the default one?
    You could have a look here below to reset your TCP/IPhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
    Cheers,Fax
    Message Edited by fax on 03-11-2009 08:32 AM
    <hr></blockquote>My router is password protected and the password includes both alphanumeric and special characters.
    I will run the newest download of MBAM in Safe Mode with Networking and I always update the signatures before scanning (even with ZAISS I do a manual update before deep scans).
    I will review KB299357, though I also know how to manually renew external IP both from a Windows tool and from a Run as Administrator CMD prompt.
    I do appreciate your suggestions and do not &quot;run on autopilot&quot; when troubleshooting.
    I really appreciate your help and suggestions.
    What is the ZoneAlarm Tech Support e-mail address so I can request a trouble ticket by Gmail?
    I have Privacy turned off in ZAISS, but will confirm the settings before trying the TSForm again.
    I have used HiJaak scans in the past, but sometimes the HiJaak process is bit esoteric even for me. ;-).
    I've also used SpybotS&amp;D although it's probably better to avoid conflicts during this process.
    SpybotS&amp;D and AdAware have not been installed on this system since a complete reformat system refresh last December.
    I mention this to show no conflicting software with this present issue.
    Thanks again (and I guess we're both &quot;burning the midnight oil&quot -- I'm on PDT on the West Coast of the USA.
    Regards,
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information