Thread: Anti-virus signature DAT file#

trwis Guest

Default Anti-virus signature DAT file#

I can't help but notice that in the last 2 posts by Findley--(Anti-virus signature DAT file version:980857660)hasn't changed? I have 3 computers all running: ZoneAlarm Anti-virus version:8.0.298.000--Windows Home-SP3. One of the computers(this one) is doing the same thing. The date and the time in control center update but the file version has stopped updating. Will this cause Windows Security center to start sending annoying messages saying that my anti-virus is out of date?

ZoneAlarm Anti-virus version:8.0.298.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.000
    Driver version:8.0.298.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:915051681

This is the file number on the other computers as of 10:43 Central today:
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:981170415

This is the file number on the other computers as of 12:59 Central today:
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:981174556

Message Edited by TRWis on 03-27-2009 01:04 PM

Default Re: Anti-virus signature DAT file#

Hi!could you explain better? I see you are posting different DATs but you say the DAT number is the same.Is it the same or not?Have you checked the date of the files stored in C:\Windows\System32\ZoneLabs\avsys\basesSome are they dated today?Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

findley Guest

TRWis,
    Thanks for pointing out the anti-virus DAT file hadn't changed.
    I had been doing manual updates on XP SP3 computer.
    I ended up having to reinstall, tried removing the updates folder but no joy!
    What have you tried?
    Here is the Updates folder removal instructions, if you haven't already tried, it works sometimes and sometimes not:
    DELETE UPDATES AND TEMPORARY FILES:
    Updating problems can be caused by corrupted update definitions files. Please follow the steps below to remove an invalid update signature, then run the update again. Please proceed with the following:

You will need to restart your pc in "Safe Mode". This can be accomplished by restarting your pc and pressing the F8 key as the PC starts up (BEFORE the first Windows screen with the black background) and then Select Safe Mode. If you have trouble restarting in safe mode please use this alternate method:
    - While in Normal Windows mode, Close all programs.
    - Click Start, Run and type MSCONFIG in the box and click OK
    - In the System Configuration Utility, on the BOOT.INI Tab and tick the "/SAFEBOOT" option in the Boot Options section.
    - Now click the OK button. After pressing the button you will be presented with an option to Restart or Exit Without Restart. Please choose the Restart option and the computer will now boot up into Safe Mode.
    Note: If you get a message asking to go to Safe Mode, choose Yes. If you get a help and support window, close this.

When you are in safe mode make sure hidden files and folders are shown.
    To enable viewing of hidden files open My Computer/Computer. Depending on your OS click Tools or View and then Folder Options > View. Choose "Show Hidden Files and Folders", uncheck "Hide Protected Operating System Files" (Windows 2000/XP/2003 only) and click OK.
    NOTE: If you cannot see the menu bar with the Tools menu on it, you have to press the Alt-key on the keyboard and the menu bar should then be visible.

Note: In the future steps if you do not see any files or folders, please click the "Show Files" link to view them.

1. Click Start and open My Computer/Computer
    2. Double click the Windows folder
    3. Double click the System32 folder
    4. Double click the ZoneLabs folder
    5. Double click the Updates folder
    6. Delete ALL files and folders inside this "Updates" folder
    7. Close My Computer/Computer

Close this window, then empty your recycle bin.

You will need to start the pc in normal Windows mode. If you did not use the MSCONFIG program to enter Safe Mode then just restart your pc in the normal manner.
    IF and ONLY IF you used the MSCONFIG program to enter Safe Mode, please run it again and uncheck the "/SAFEBOOT" option on the BOOT.INI tab and click OK choose the option to restart your computer.

When you restart your computer you may see a prompt from the Windows System Configuration Utility. Please tick the box for "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start:" and then click OK.

If you prefer not to always view "Hidden Files and Folders" and "Protected Operating System Files", you can reverse the steps explained earlier to disable this option.

Open ZoneAlarm and go to AntiVirus/AntiSpyware and then Main and click Update Now. If the update completes successfully you do not need to continue with the rest of the instructions below.
    The above is excerpted from http://www.zonealarm.com.au/main/kb_...asp?KBID=11433
    let me know what works for you and good luck
    Findley

trwis Guest

I have tried to remove the files from the update folder--and also did a reinstall of ZAAV--the data file stays the same. Like I said in the original message--ZAAV is performing the update--no error messages--and the date and time of the update in control center changes accordingly. I also checked the date of the files in C:\Windows\System32\Zonelabs\avsys\bases (as asked by Guru fax)--and yes some of the files in that folder are the current date.
    Its just the Anti-virus signature DAT file# that is not changing with the updates. I'm still hoping that the anti-virus is working properly without the data file updating. It was always nice to come in this forum and either check my data file# against yours or the one posted daily by Guru GeorgeV--just to see if mine was up to date. If anyone has a suggestion I'd appreciate it--Thank-you Fax and Findley for taking the time to get back to me.

Windows XP Home-SP3

(From the computer that is not updating)
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:915051681

(From the computer that is updating)
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:981165315

Thread Information