Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to run complete virus scan

_tonya Guest

Default Unable to run complete virus scan

On Friday evening I discovered that I am unable to run a complete virus scan with ZoneAlarm Extreme running on Windows XP. Whether I run an auto scan or manual, the scan hangs at C:\windows\_default.pif. Once there I can't even cancel the scan
    or close the program. Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling security suite initial scan
    after reinstallling is fine, subsequent scans are
    hanging at the same file. What's causing this issue and how can I resolve it?
    Never had issues with previous versions of ZoneAlarm.
    Any help will be appreciated.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Default Re: Unable to run complete virus scan

Hi!if you boot your PC in SAFE MODE with NETWORKING then run ZA manually and scan... does it hang?Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

rawebb Guest

Tonya, please check your ZoneAlarm log files under the Alerts & Logs | Log Viewer | Anti-Virus item. I'm curious to learn whether you see a page full of ZoneAlarm errors.

For what it's worth, when I tried a test scan of c:\windows this morning, it seemed to hang on exactly that same file (_default.pif). After a sufficient wait (peanut and jelly sandwich, actually ;-) the scan-complete message box was displayed as per usual.

Many, many errors in the logs, though. Pretty much every file threw an error.

_tonya Guest

Rawebb, checked log. Every file with a C:\Window threw an error. In the file type column 'treat' and in the action column field 'Error: 8...'

Hi!post files.. it can be normal.. system files are locked.Which log are you inspecting?Cheers,Fax

rawebb Guest

Thanks. It sure sounds like exactly the problem I'm having. Any chance the error is 8004025Dh? (You can widen the column to view the complete entry by grabbing the margin in the header of the table.)

_tonya Guest

Fax, I am looking at the event log/view in ZA for anti-virus.

bobsza Guest

I'm having the same problem on two different computers. I uninstalled ZA and reinstalled it and ran a sucessful scan of the Windows folder without updating the virus definitions. It seems like it is only the Windows folder that causes a problem with the new definitions. I then updated the definitions and the scan of the Windows folder failed again. It almost appears as if the scan completes but the scanning engine fails to stop properly. Also, I tried the scan in Safe Mode and it failed as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi!yes, it will log a lot of errors if active this is why is OFF. But this does not mean the AV is necessarily broken, it is simply that many OS files are locked and not scanneable.It does unnecessarily alarm you.Copy paste the log and I will see its normal.Also scanthe test file below, it is detected?http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.comCheers,Fax

cbinc11 Guest

My own experience with _default.pif:

According to bleepingcomputer.com, _default.pif is dropped by a worm they call W32.Autosky. I previous found another help site that cited another worm (or at least a different name) as well, but I no longer can retrace my steps to that particular website.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/star...pif-18155.html

I tend to believe that they are right--at least about the part that _default.pif is undesirable. I had a copy of this file on my computer exactly where they said it would be in C:\WINDOWS, and ZA AV kept hanging on it during any AV scan (but OTOH the ZA spyware scan always completed). ZA AV would become totally non-responsive; the only recourse was to kill ZAISS completely via Task Manager, then restart ZAISS or reboot to get the firewall and AV monitoring back up and running.

Ultimately I booted into Safe Mode and ran Autoruns.exe downloaded from Microsoft to see if there was something undesirable in the registry (there didn't seem to be). After the Autoruns session I went ahead and deleted _default.pif (leaving it in the Recycle Bin for the time being), then rebooted into normal XP Pro SP3 to see what would happen. Everything booted up normally, but to be sure I repeated the reboot several times (there are a number of threads on AVG's own forums about this problem--and several postings about this on other sites like techsupportforums.com and malwarebytes.com--regarding this problem reoccurring). On my computer, I noticed right away that the computer now runs more smoothly.

Whenever I was typing something (like in a form within Firefox, or within Outlook, Word or Notepad), the machine would occasionally hesitate between characters as if there might be something malicious like a keystroke logger onboard. Scans using ZA's spyware utility (since that didn't hang like AV did) never found anything, nor did scans using Kaspersky's own online scan (which didn't hang, btw), Malwarebytes, Ad-Aware, Spyware Terminator, or Spybot Search & Destroy...the notables among the many I tried. But once I deleted _default.pif during the Safe Mode session I described above, afterwards with the subsequent reboots the machine now runs normally as it once did; for instance, in creating this posting there's ZERO hesitations with my typing. Fingers crossed that this will continue...

For now it seems as if my computer is not missing the _default.pif file, so life until the next Windows breakdown is good again. Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information