Thread: Cannot update anti-virus or antispyware

drfazz Guest

Default Cannot update anti-virus or antispyware

ZASS version: 8.0.059.000 & 8.0.298.000

Whenever I try to update my anti-virus or anti-spyware files I get the message "unable to connect to update server". It only happens running Vista, it works okay under Windows XP Pro. I have reinstalled ZASS several times, doing clean instals, I've gon back to a previous version, I've deleted the RDB files in the "Internet Log" folder, and still I can't get ZASS to update. After spending hours, I noticed another forum user found his proxy server address was the culprit. I checked the _updlog.txt file and found that ZASS on my PC was also trying to access the update server using the proxy server address. The problem though is that, although I used to have a proxy address specified in ZASS, I deleted it when I no longer needed it. I also removed the proxy address from the Internet Options in Microsoft Internet Explorer and Firefox (my default browser), but ZASS still tries to use the proxy server address. I've also found (in another thread) that the proxy address was being stored in the registry in "HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windo ws\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" Although I set the value for PROXYENABLE to 0 and deleted the PROXYSERVER value, when I go to run the anti-virus / anti-spyware update, ZASS resets the PROXYENABLE value back to 1 and PROXYSERVER back to the old proxy server address. Also, this doesn't happen when I try to update ZASS itself - that works with no problem. I don't know where it's getting the old proxy server address from, I've looked in several places without success.

The big question is - why is ZASS insisting on using the proxy server address for updating the anti-virus and anti-spyware files, but not for updating ZASS itself?

I've been working on this for several days now and I'm at a loss. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Business
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by drfazz on 04-03-2009 09:01 AM

Message Edited by drfazz on 04-03-2009 09:01 AM

stupefy Guest

Default Re: Cannot update anti-virus or antispyware

Navigate to:
    ZoneAlarm Interface/Overview/Preferences/General/Options Button/Proxy Configuration/
    Is the Enable Proxy Server Check Box Disabled?
    or
    Is the Enable Proxy Server Check Box Disabled but an Proxy Server Address and Port Number Appear Grayed Out?
    If so:
    Enable the Proxy Server Check Box and Remove the Proxy Server Address and Port Number and
    Disable the Proxy Server Check Box Again
    Also try:
    Enabling the Proxy Server Check Box and Click OK
    Then Disable the Proxy Server Check Box and Click OK
    Reboot

drfazz Guest

Default Re: Cannot update anti-virus or antispyware

The Proxy Server Check Box was disabled and the Address and Port Number were blank. I tried entering the address and Port Number of my local DNS Server, clicking OK and going back, clearing the Address and Port Number and disabling the Check Box. I then rebooted and then tried running the anti-virus and anti-spyware update, without success. I've also tried the suggested solution in Knowledge Base Article No 11433, also without success.

Thread Information