Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UI is initializing

williamgeorge Guest

Default Re: UI is initializing

Same problem, now fixed by rebooting, but my laptop is now incredibly slow to start up. Shall be rolling back to previous version of ZAV until this issue sorted.

thekabuki Guest

I am unable to open my zone alarm at all. Planned on doing a virus scan yesterday (April 2) and could not open ZA either by clicking onto the "Z" icon in system tray, using the Start Menu, even tried going directly to the Program Files and looking around in there for something to open ZA up.

When I hover the mouse over the sys tray icon all I get is "Protection is up UI is initializing" but unable to open the main ZA page.

The other threads mention an update? Have no clue if this is something that is automatically done within ZA. I do not recall doing a manual updates to a new version.

thekabuki Guest

After perusing the boards here looking for an answer to this,I see that I should have included some basic information~sorry newbie

I'm using windows xp home edition, paid subscription Zone Alarm Anti-virus Version 8.059.0 (at least that's what showing in the Properties tab when I go into Program Files> Zone Alarm)

In Task Manager, zlclient.exe is showing but I don't see this vsmon listed that some other users were posting about on different threads regarding the same issue. Not sure what that means, but saw it mentioned often enough that it seemed important.

For what it's worth, in the Security Center (Microsoft) it's showing a green light for my Firewall and that Zone Alarm Firewall is active. I have the MS firewall turned off, the automatic updates turned on.

I do have Spybot S&D, Malawarebytes and ATF cleaner installed. There was never any Norton or other firewall/antivirus installed on this computer...have only had ZA

Oh, and I am able to access the internet using Firefox 3 (.?? whatever the latest version is) and have the latest JAVA updates installed-again no idea if it matters, but throwing it out there just the same.

Should I do a clean uninstall/reinstall of ZA? If so, should I uninstall the Spybot S & D , Malarebytes, etc and not reinstall them until after ZA is working correctly? I've always had those installed alongside ZA with no problems.

Thanks in advance

csiegel Guest

Default Re: UI is initializing / Now AV updates NOT working

<blockquote><hr>WilliamGeorge wrote:
    Same problem, now fixed by rebooting, but my laptop is now incredibly slow to start up. Shall be rolling back to previous version of ZAV until this issue sorted.
    <hr></blockquote>

Same problem here with the ZASS client after installing v.8.0.298.035, despite several reboots and reinstalls. This only occurred on my XP Pro SP3 system; everything SEEMS OK on my Vista Home SP1 system.

I had to kill the client process with the task manager, uninstall the ZASS (using their uninstall) and reinstall the new version. Now the AV definitions task isn't working (&quot;the task encountered an error&quot.

I hate it when CheckPoint pushes out updates that have problems! This is the 2nd time with version 8 -- remember how much &quot;fun&quot; we had with the first v 8 they gave us? Only sticking with this because we have 200+ days left on the 3 licences.

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.298.035... but I may go back to the previous version
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.035
    Driver version:8.0.298.035
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:915051681
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200904.5665
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>thekabuki wrote:
    Should I do a clean uninstall/reinstall of ZA? If so, should I uninstall the Spybot S &amp; D , Malarebytes, etc and not reinstall them until after ZA is working correctly? I've always had those installed alongside ZA with no problems.

Thanks in advance
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi!yes, follow the steps below and you should be able to get back you ZA working as it should.Antivirus need to download a large file after install... it can fail if your connection is not stable, keep insisting.First Remove ZA from add/remove programs then:01.) Restart your computer
    02.) When you see the screen go black and it starts booting back up keep
    tapping the "F8" key (at the top of your keyboard)
    03.) This should bring up a menu. Choose Safe Mode off the menu by
    using the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight Safe Mode and press
    Enter
    04.) If you get a message asking to go to Safe Mode, choose Yes. If you
    get a help and support window, close this.
    05.) Once you are at the desktop, Click Start, My Computer
    06.) Click Tools, Folder Options, View Tab
    07.) Place a dot next to "Show Hidden Files and Folders"
    08.) Remove the check from "Hide Protected Operating System Files
    (Recommended)"
    09.) Choose Yes to the warning
    10.) Click OK
    11.) Double click C:

Note: In the future steps if you do not see any files or folders, please click
    the "Show Files" link to view them.

12.) Double Click the Program Files Folder
    13.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes

NOTE: If you cannot delete the entire folder, please open the Zone Labs -
    &gt; ZoneAlarm folder and delete out as many of the files listed here as
    possible.

14.) Close this window
    15.) Click Start, My Computer
    16.) Double Click the C:
    17.) Double Click the Windows Folder (It may also be WinNT)
    18.) Right Click the Internet Logs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
    19.) Double Click the System32 Folder
    20.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes

NOTE: If you cannot delete the entire folder, please open the Zone Labs
    folder and delete out as many of the files listed here as possible.

21.) Locate and delete the following files in the System32 folder if they are
    present:

- vsconfig.xml
    - vsxml.dll
    - vsregexp.dll
    - vsdata.dll
    - vsdata95.vxd
    - vsdatant.sys
    - vsmonapi.dll
    - vspubapi.dll
    - vsinit.dll
    - vsutil.dll
    - vswmi.dll
    - zlcommdb.dll
    - zlcomm.dll
    - z llictbl.dat
    - zpeng24.dll

22.) Clear your Temp Directory per the instructions below.

- Go to Start -&gt; Run
    - Type %temp% and click OK
    - Select all of these files and delete them

23.) Clear the Prefetch folder per the instructions below.

- Go to Start -&gt; Run
    - Type Prefetch and click OK
    - Select all of these files and delete them

24.) Remove the following registry entries by going to Start -&gt; Run and
    typing in regedit. Use the folders on the left side of the window to navigate
    to the specified directories.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Zone Labs
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\vsmon
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\vsdatant

*Important Advisory: Deleting registry entries incorrectly may cause
    serious problems to your operating system, which may necessitate the
    need to reinstall it. Please make sure you are able to perform these
    deletions correctly before you decide to edit the entries. If you are not
    sure, you should seek help from someone who is familiar with editing the
    registry.

For information about how to edit the registry in Windows, from your
    desktop, click Start &gt;&gt; Run &gt;&gt; and type regedit. Click on Help &gt;&gt; Help
    Topics. Under the Contents tab, click Change Keys and Values (this may
    be found under the How to... section).

Also, you should always make a backup of the registry before editing it.
    You can find this in the same section of the Help files.

25.) Close this window, then empty your recycle bin.
    26.) Restart the computer.
    27.) Check the system for malware. Check with MBAM and SuperAntispyware. See links here:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=378728.) ZA does not play nice with many other security tools. They may block its correct functioning including updates. For example, spyware doctor, spysweeper, trojan hunter, win patrol, PCtools Threat Fire, Mcafee, Norton, Symantec, Adaware, SpybotS&amp;D, WinPatrol, AVG, NOD, Kaspersky and manyothers. If you want to troubleshoot issues with ZA please remove these tools (not enough to disable) and install back (if you really need) only after you see your ZASS is working as it should.29. Clean your system and registry with ccleaner.comhttp://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds/downloadbinslim30. Re-download the ZA installerwww.zonealarm.com/zasuitedownload/ 31. Install with default settings do NOT alter them. After re-boot go to ZA antivirus/antispyware and 'Update Now' and do not restore any previous ZA settings.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

thekabuki Guest

Yikes...that's quite a bit. Let me digest all of that &amp; see if it helps

Noticed quite a few recent postings on this problem. Any idea of what's causing it?

thekabuki Guest

Also, how does one go about doing a registry back-up...in really simple terms. I have an external hard drive that I could save it to. Looked in the Help Files, but it wouldn't show that information, said that information is not available on this version of windows or some such.

Oh, and with this going on, is the internet safe at all? or should I be off of here completely?

Hi!here below you find various methods to backup your registry:http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htmCheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

csiegel Guest

Default Re: UI is initializing / Now AV updates NOT working

In reply to my own message:

I reinstalled version 8.0.298.000 and found that AV definition updates were not functioning there either (same message: &quot;the task encountered an error&quot. So I re-upped to v. 8.0.298.035, thinking that (at least) the definitions would be somewhat more up to date.

I tried updating the definitions several hours later and, though the wait was rather long, they did download and install. Might the problem have been a problem at the server end (server for the definition updates)?

All's well that ends well (except I lost another couple of hours of my time to ZASS v8. Not too happy about it.)

- CSiegel

thekabuki Guest

Guru: Just wanted to say THANK YOU!! While it did take a bit of time &amp; was a little intimidating to a newbie like me to start messing around in the registry, I followed your directions to a T and it is up and running.

Couple of observations for other users who follow this procedure:

&quot;First Remove ZA from add/remove programs then&quot;
    At this point I disconnected from the internet-was concerned about no protection while connected

12.) Double Click the Program Files Folder
    13.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes

There wasn't a Zone Labs Folder located here to Delete &amp; I did have the Show Hidden Files/Folders checked and removed the check from Hide Protected Operation System Files. I used the Search function &quot;Zone Alarm&quot; and nothing was returned in the Search, so I am assuming that it was really completely removed during uninstall process.

Also, while in the C Program Files, I noticed that Spybot S &amp; D, which I had uninstalled using Add/Remove prior to starting this procedure, still had a folder here. I did not delete it, but should I have done so? I have not re-installed Spybot yet, but never did have a problem with it running alongside ZA before. Before I reinstall Spybot, should I delete any traces of the prior installation, including the Spybot folder located in the Program Files?

21.) Locate and delete the following files in the System32 folder if they are
    present:

- vsconfig.xml
    - vsxml.dll
    - vsregexp.dll
    - vsdata.dll
    - vsdata95.vxd
    - vsdatant.sys
    - vsmonapi.dll
    - vspubapi.dll
    - vsinit.dll
    - vsutil.dll
    - vswmi.dll
    - zlcommdb.dll
    - zlcomm.dll
    - z llictbl.dat
    - zpeng24.dll

Out of all of the above mentioned, there were only 2 of them still present to delete.

24.) Remove the following registry entries by going to Start -&gt; Run and
    typing in regedit. Use the folders on the left side of the window to navigate
    to the specified directories.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Zone Labs
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\vsmon
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\vsdatant

From this list only the first one (Software\Zone Labs) was still present. The other two were no longer there. I did create a back up of them prior to editing. Can I delete the back-ups now?

The only problem I'm having now is that ZA keeps telling me that my license key isn't valid. I did copy/paste it directly from My Account Details page rather than putting it in manually (which I tried also) and can't get it to recognize it. I've put in a service request for that issue and am awaiting a response.

Now for my last question......I chose to install the ZA version 8.0.059 rather than the newest one (8.0.23??). While reading through the forums here I noticed many postings regarding problems with this newest version. I think this may be why I also was having an issue. I think, but am not positive, that I had downloaded the new version when prompted by a pop up from ZA telling me to update. Can't be certain, as I was never able to actually open ZA to see what version I was running, but do recall some ZA popup update that I clicked yes to and then afterwards, I couldn't open ZA.

I'm almost tempted to stick with this older version &amp; not update to the newer one? Thoughts on this? Seems like there's quite a few issues to still be worked on with it and ZA is working now.

Oh and ran Malwarebytes, ZA virus scans and nothing was found.

Thanks again Guru!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information