Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't turn on Anti Virus

lahmusic Guest

Default Can't turn on Anti Virus

Since downloading most recent version and renewing my suscription 2 weeks ago, anti-virus
    will not turn on(greyed out).
    I have done a clean uninstall and reinstall , deleted the files in the update folder in Safe Mode Article 11433), as well as files in the Windows\Internet log directory.
    Update seems to download the virus definitions and says complete but no luck.
    I am running Vista Home Premium

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

photochem Guest

Default Re: Can't turn on Anti Virus

I've been fighting with the same problem ever since I updated to version 8.0.298.000 a couple of weeks ago. I sent a request for help to customer support and was given instructions on how to do a clean uninstall and reinstall. That didn't work. Then I got a second set of instructions to try to go at it a different way. That didn't work either. I asked if I could install the previous version 7.0.483 and when I tried to do that Windows said that the True Vector driver has known incompatibilities and blocks the driver from running. This **bleep**s since it was working fine before I installed the recommended upgrade for ZA. If you scan through the forums you'll find numerous others with this same problem. I can't get any of the suggestions to work (either from the forums or from tech support). I've used ZA since version 4 or 5 and have generally been happy with it. I've recommended it to quite a few others as well. I'm now looking for another software suite that will do the job.

pretep Guest

Installed latest up date 2/4/09 now does not respond. Desktop says " protection up. UI initiating". Still initiating 4 hours later.Using XP. Will not restore to earlier date. Anyone any
    suggestions?Pretep

Hi!some userhere have reported that a reboot ofthe machine resolve the problem Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

pretep Guest

Abandoned the update. Tried to reinstall earlier version but It said it was busy. Rebooted yet again. The hard disc became extremely
    busy and after about three minutes it suddenly worked. Not sure what happened but thanks for the advice everyone.

garywteal Guest

Just today my ZA told me that the Anti-virus isn't updated or configured properly and was shut down. Tried to reboot but to no avail. I just cannot set the anti-virus to start and run. I click the update now and reactivate scanning but that just says anti-virus is up to date. It does not reactivate scanning. Also since I have been telling ZA about the amount of memory it uses my memory is now down to 20% as it should be instead of 45% of 9gb. ZA ignores the fact that their program uses so much memory. Maybe they wll come up with a fix for this one. Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't fix the problem. Something happened yesterday on 04-01-09 that caused the program to shut the anti-virus off. I am using Vista Ultimate 64bit. Intel's i7 cpu. 9gb or ram. I am using 8.0.298.035. The program has
    used too much memory even in beta, it still does. Clicking "Fix It" doesn't fix the problem either. Does anyone have any ideas.

ninetyninewoes Guest

This is a very serious problem with the latest update. I have had twice had to go to System Restore to get rid of it from two machines in the past two or three weeks. Of course it still keeps reminding to install the latest update, but there is no way I'm going to be installing it because it totally hangs each time. Previous updates have not had this problem. The symptoms are it stays "initialising UI" forever, won't respond to any clicks, can't be stopped or started and hangs all internet comms - no email, no internet. A complete and utter disaster. I can't believe that since this came up several weeks ago that the same rotten version is being downloaded. What on earth is going on?

ninetyninewoes Guest

And by the way, before anybody jumps in and says "reset computer, all ok!" - no, it doesn't help, it comes back initialising UI forever and fatally hanging the whole comms again every time you reboot. The only way round it is to do a Windows system restore to before you installed the update and don't take the update again.

thekabuki Guest

Having same problem. Cannot open ZA . Icon in sys tray shows "Protection is up, UI is initializing" but I can't open by right clicking onto icon, nor using start menu nor by going into Program Files and locating Zone Alarm folder

Have no idea if it updated automatically to this new version everyone is mentioning because I don't know if this is something I have selected to do automatically. Last version I can figure I was using was 8.059.0...at least that's what showing in the Properties box when I right click on the start icon. But since I'm unable to even open ZA I can't find what version is on there.

Running Windows XP with paid subscription ZA antivirus-no other virus programs ever installed. Have Spybot s & d, malawarebytes & ATF cleaner installed.

Task manager is showing that zlclient.exe is running

jstrings Guest

Today, I updated Zone Alarm Security Suite to version 8.0.298.035 on a Hewlett-Packard laptop running Vista Home Premium, SP2, completed updated.Following the reboot, a dialog box was displayed which read (approximate -- the box is no longer displayed) "Anti-virus has been disabled. This may occur if the system clock has been reset or if updates have been disabled."
    If I display the ZA UI, it displays (under Overview) the red warning that "Anti-virus isn't properly set." If I click, the "Fix it" button, it momentarily turns green, then returns to red, still reading "You are not fully protected. Action required."
    After trying suggestions on the forum, I eventually did a clean uninstall (command line: "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean /rmlicense ) and deleting the folders, "Internet Logs", "Program Files\Zone Labs", and "%system32%\Zonelabs". I also deleted the registry hives in HKLM and HKCU. After rebooting, I then reinstalled version 8.0.298.035, running as administrator. Unfortunately, the problem still exists.
    In ZA UI, under Product Info, the AV Dat file version is reported as 0, (engine verion 6.0.2.678).
    The anti-spyware is behaving normally.
    Under the anti-virus/spyware section of the UI, it reports Anti-Virus is Off and the radio buttons for enabling the anti-virus are greyed out.I can connect and update the definitions and no errors are reported. However, the anti-virus is still reported as OFF and I can't manually engage a virus scan.Interestingly, Windows Security Center reports "ZoneAlarm Security Suite Antivirus reports that it is up to date and virus scanning is on."
    I reported to
    ZA Tech Support on 4/1 and received a tech support case number via email but have not received any response as yet.
    I have a multi-license version of ZASS, two XP machines and three Vista machines -- the one HP is the only one displaying this symptom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information