Thread: Anti-Spyware scan not proceeding

tmoj Guest

Default Anti-Spyware scan not proceeding

I'm using ZoneAlarm Sequrity Suite and Windows XP SP3. Both are automatically updated and thus up to date. Since last week the Antispyware scan doesn't seem to be proceeding at all. Scanning status shows Anti-Spyware in progress, Files scanned 0%. Duration shows the time e.g. 5:40:50 and Spyware Found 0. Today I installed AdAware and scanned with it without finding any spyware.

What's causing this funny behaviour of Anti-Spyware. Anti-Virus seems to be working OK, even if scanning time is quite long, several hours and during scan system seems to become quite slow.

Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Anti-Spyware scan not proceeding

Hi!you seem to have either a ZA corruption or a system infection. Please note that adaware can conflict with ZA as well as many other security tools (see in point C for an incomplete list of conflicting software).Proceed to the various steps below to try to fix your issue.A. Reset the ZA settings.1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after rebootDo NOT restore any previous backup of the ZA settings.Does it scan correctly now? If not, go tothe next step B. Boot in SAFE MODE with networking How tp boot your system in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING --> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial61.html
    Manual run ZASS (ZA firewall will be OFF but Antivirus/Antispyware will be functional);
    Run a full ZA AV/AS scan;Does it work? If yes, then there is something in normal mode blocking ZASS antispyware to work correctly (recent software installed? Malware?)If not proceed to the next step (remove completely ZA inlcuding eventual left overs)C. Remove ZA manually and reinstallFirst remove ZASS with the ZA removal tool (download on desktop and run as administrator):http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exeDouble check that all ZA related files/folders are gone:01.) Restart your computer
    02.) When you see the screen go black and it starts booting back up keep
    tapping the "F8" key (at the top of your keyboard)
    03.) This should bring up a menu. Choose Safe Mode off the menu by
    using the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight Safe Mode and press
    Enter
    04.) If you get a message asking to go to Safe Mode, choose Yes. If you
    get a help and support window, close this.
    5.) Double Click the Program Files Folder
    6.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes

NOTE: If you cannot delete the entire folder, please open the Zone Labs -
    > ZoneAlarm folder and delete out as many of the files listed here as
    possible.

7.) Close this window
    8.) Click Start, My Computer
    9.) Double Click the C:
    10.) Double Click the Windows Folder (It may also be WinNT)
    11.) Right Click the Internet Logs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
    12.) Double Click the System32 Folder
    13.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
    NOTE: If you cannot delete the entire folder, please open the Zone Labs
    folder and delete out as many of the files listed here as possible.
    14.) Clear your Temp Directory per the instructions below.
    - Go to Start -> Run
    - Type %temp% and click OK
    - Select all of these files and delete them
    15.) Clear the Prefetch folder per the instructions below.
    - Go to Start -> Run
    - Type Prefetch and click OK
    - Select all of these files and delete them16.) Empty your recycle bin.
    17.) Restart the computer.
    18.) Check the system for malware. Check with MBAM and SuperAntispyware. See links here:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=378719.) ZA does not play nice with many other security tools. They may block its correct functioning including updates. For example, spyware doctor, spysweeper, trojan hunter, win patrol, PCtools Threat Fire, Mcafee, Norton, Symantec, Adaware, SpybotS&D, WinPatrol, AVG, Avas t free, NOD, Kaspersky, Rising, asquared, PC Doctorand manyothers. If you want to troubleshoot issues with ZA please remove these tools (not enough to disable) and install back (if you really need) only after you see your ZA is working as it should.20). Clean your system and registry with ccleaner.comhttp://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds/downloadbinslim21). Re-download the ZASS installerwww.zonealarm.com/zasuitedownload 22). Install with default settings do NOT alter them. After re-boot go to ZA antivirus/antispyware and 'Update Now' and do not restore any previous ZA settings.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

tmoj Guest

Thanks,

I found the culprit. It is my WD MyBook external back-up drive H:. Disconnecting it helps, Anti-Spyware works now OK.

I still don't know what's the problem with Drive H: It cannot be accessed, explorer takes several minutes and then gives message "drive is not formatted, do you want to format it now?" I tried Chkdsk on it, but Chkdsk crashes every time I try to check this drive. Other drives can be checked OK. I also tried it on another computer with same results. The drive is only used for automatic back-up and of course even back-up is not working now.

Could there be a virus or something that cannot be checked because even ZoneAlarm cannot access the drive? I also tried SuperAntispyware. It does not find anything.

Charles_B Guest

tmoj wrote :

I still don't know what's the problem with Drive H: It cannot be accessed, explorer takes several minutes and then gives message "drive is not formatted, do you want to format it now?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________

Just a suggestion.Maybe this is your problem.

Is it formatted for NTFS file system.Most likely it came formatted for Fat32 file system.

Windows 2000, XP, and Vista have a known limitation that will not allow you to format a partition larger than 32GB using the FAT32 file system.

Format the partition using the NTFS file system. Microsoft officially recommends using the NTFS file system on all drives and partitions larger than 32GB.

Hope this helps.

tmoj Guest

Thanks Charles,

yes, the drive came formatted for FAT32 and I was not clever enough to change it to NTFS. Looks like that is the root cause. I should have there now about 90GB back-up data, but luckily I have it also on my internal drive.

I probably have to reformat it, although I have been trying to avoid it because the initial back-up was a very slow process. It took some 4 days and now I have about 30% more data to be backed up. During the initial back-up the whole computer was extremely slow.

Funny that a 500GB drive is supplied as FAT32, if it is a known issue that over 32GB can cause problems! I do not think an average user would be aware of that. At least it never came to my mind.

Disk Management sees the drive and gives following information: Type Basic, 465.76 GB, 100% free, Online, Healthy. So I believe formatting is not going to be a problem. 100% free even if there is 90GB data stored, that of course now is not accessible? Helthy, even if it is not accessible?

Charles_B Guest

Glad information was of help.Btw, The disk is left formatted in FAT32 because of Apple and Win98SE/ME OS.

Have a nice Day

tmoj Guest

Hi Charles,

I'm still waiting response from WD Support. They promised to try to answer within one working day, however not later than within 3 working days.

There is special Mac version of MyBook.

Charles_B Guest

Charles_B wrote :

Glad information was of help.BTW, The disk is left formatted in FAT32 because of Apple and Win98SE/ME OS.

Have a nice Day

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

What this means is that Most USB interface externals drives are both PC/Mac compatible.

We need to close this thread because starting to look like a chat room.I thing issue has been resolved.You can
    always start a new thread if you still have other issues.

Thank You
    Have a nice Day.

Thread Information