Thread: AV Updates and Proxy Settings

Hybrid View

nhickey Guest

Default AV Updates and Proxy Settings

Greetings -

I too cannot update ZAAV or AS (I have v8 of ZASS). I have a 3 license subscription and this issue ONLY occurs on ONE of the 2 PCs on which I currently have the product installed. I have gone thru the user forums and tried everything to no avail - clean reinstalls, etc., etc., etc. Based on many posts and confirmed by the data in _UPDLOG.TXT the issue is with a proxy setup as many posts have stated:

22:26:45: Downloading files from user defined URL http://kav.zonelabs.com/, proxy enabled
    22:26:45: Published: ev_type = 'UPD_ProxyServerUsed', parameters: 'Srv' = 'localhost:12080'

Further on it states:

22:26:46: ******** Update operation result Failed to establish connection to proxy server ********

I have checked all settings and do NOT have proxy enabled, however I discovered that ZAAV is SETTING proxy values in the registry - specifically HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Internet Settings. The key is: ProxyEnable REG_DWORD 0x00000000 (1).

My testing protocol was as follows: Disable AV and AS, reset key to 0x00000000 (0). Enable AS, run update - result successful; key value unchanged. Enable AV, run update - result fails due to failed proxy server connection; key value reset to 0x00000000 (1).

Please advise. I have 9 days left on my subscription and am considering downgrading to ZA Pro and purchasing another AV product.

Thank you.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: AV Updates and Proxy Settings

Hi!it is not a ZA issue, it is your OS (a registry entry may be) that tells to ZA to use a proxy.This is usually caused by A VAST antivirus or other tools that you used.Sometimes the only solution is to reinstall the OS fresh.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

nhickey Guest

I suspected that because I did use **bleep**, however there are a couple of factors that didn't make sense. First, I only installed **bleep** after having problems w/ ZA updates (admittedly I did not perform the troubleshooting at that time so I do not know if I couldn't update due to proxy issues or some other issue). Second, at that time I experienced the problem on both machines so installed **bleep** on both. I then downloaded the latest ZA update (can't remember which one) and it worked on one machine but still not the other. Very bizarre. At any rate, I can only assume I didn't get a clean uninstall on the other machine and the registry is still gobbed up with some **bleep** settings. Any suggestions other than reinstalling the OS, of course?

Hi!see if the other antivirus software has a support forum you could ask on how to reset the proxy settings.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

nhickey Guest

So I went on **bleep**'s site and found an uninstall utility to use if you have problems with the standard uninstall program. Apparently it did the trick, because I can now update the AV and AS on ZASS. Of course it could also be that new version of ZASS (8.0.400.020) I downloaded from the forum home page too. You know, the one my version 8.0.298.035 doesn't tell me I need when I manually check for updates . . . Ah, who cares - it works now. Hope I don't encounter anything like that again tho! Thanks for the help fax!

nhickey Guest

BTW - interesting that it replaces that other company's name with "bleep". I thought you originally logged a typo when spelling a vast, but that seems to be the only way to get it to show up. Funny stuff . . .

Thread Information