Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: zaZAAVSetup_en version installation will not progress beyond protected and ui initializing

dark_lord Guest

Default zaZAAVSetup_en version installation will not progress beyond protected and ui initializing

zaZAAVSetup_en version installation will not progress beyond protected and ui initializing

only its not getting past ui initializing

vsmon flashes on and off in Task manager

Internet not available

za interface not available

This was the last install on a new hd / re installed os / clean new machine

and it didnt work!

---

2.3ghz cpu
    2 gb ram
    windows xp pro sp3 freshly installed
    C:\ 120 gb 7200rpm
    F:\ 80gb slave

ZA antivirus and firewall supposedly but it DOESNT WORK!!!

tried run and install ~ no good
    tried download and install ~ no good

could only use pc by uninstalling it twice

---

tried to get help from Live chat ~ no one there
    tried to send detailed message through email support ~ message failed
    tried to send message through email support 2 ~ could only send 5 lines!

What is happening at ZA!?

---

So WHAT is this ui initilaizing ad infinitum (means forever) problem?

FIX! - ZA support people, please!

very very very disatisfied and unimpressed new licenced user! ...only i can't use it!

John V

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus

Default Re: zaZAAVSetup_en version installation will not progress beyond protected and ui initializing

Hi!ZA staff does not monitor this board, contact ZA support live chat directly, link in my signature.Usually this is cause by:- XP not updated- Other security tools installed or left overs- System permission problemsSee also here:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...hread.id=86992Or you can try a full cleaning of your system, check for malware, UPDATE your XP:First remove ZA AV with the ZA removal tool (download on desktop and run as administrator):http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exeDouble check that all ZA related files/folders are gone:01.) Restart your computer
    02.) When you see the screen go black and it starts booting back up keep
    tapping the "F8" key (at the top of your keyboard)
    03.) This should bring up a menu. Choose Safe Mode off the menu by
    using the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight Safe Mode and press
    Enter
    04.) If you get a message asking to go to Safe Mode, choose Yes. If you
    get a help and support window, close this.
    5.) Double Click the Program Files Folder
    6.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes

NOTE: If you cannot delete the entire folder, please open the Zone Labs -
    > ZoneAlarm folder and delete out as many of the files listed here as
    possible.

7.) Close this window
    8.) Click Start, My Computer
    9.) Double Click the C:
    10.) Double Click the Windows Folder (It may also be WinNT)
    11.) Right Click the Internet Logs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
    12.) Double Click the System32 Folder
    13.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
    NOTE: If you cannot delete the entire folder, please open the Zone Labs
    folder and delete out as many of the files listed here as possible.
    14.) Click Start, Computer
    15.) Double Click C:
    16.) Double Click the Program Files Folder17.) Double Click the Checkpoint Folder18.) Right click onZAForceField folder, click Delete, and choose Yes19.) Clear your Temp Directory per the instructions below.

- Go to Start -> Run
    - Type %temp% and click OK
    - Select all of these files and delete them

20.) Clear the Prefetch folder per the instructions below.

- Go to Start -> Run
    - Type Prefetch and click OK
    - Select all of these files and delete them21.) Empty your recycle bin.
    22.) Restart the computer.
    23.) ZA does not play nice with many other security tools. They may block its correct functioning including updates. For example, spyware doctor, spysweeper, trojan hunter, win patrol, PCtools Threat Fire, Mcafee, Norton, Symantec, Adaware, SpybotS&D, WinPatrol, AVG, Avas t free, NOD, Kaspersky, Rising,OneCare, PC Doctor, and manyothers. If you want to troubleshoot issues with ZA please remove these tools (not enough to disable) and install back (if you really need) only after you see your ZA is working as it should.24.) Double check you have really removed all other security tools by running this utilityhttp://www.appremover.com/23.) Check the system for malware. Check with MBAM and SuperAntispyware. See links here:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=378725). Clean your system and registry with ccleaner.comhttp://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds/downloadbinslim26). Re-download the ZA AV installerhttp://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...400_020_en.exe27). Install with default settings do NOT alter them. After re-boot go to ZA antivirus/antispyware and 'Update Now' and do not restore any previous ZA settings.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

dark_lord Guest

Default Re: zaZAAVSetup_en version installation will not progress beyond protected and ui initializing

thanks for the feedback

I will try some of these fixes

I am installing on a newly formatted hd with a new XP pro SP3. CCleaner + Spybot S&D have already checked and cleaned it and it was clean.

(There are Kaspersky remnants on the slave drive but I wouldn't think that would be a problem as its only running as a slave.)

For the price of a new subscription I would not expect to have to manually install and move files to make this AV/firewall work as per links in your advice ~ thats the development teams job grrr.

The uninstalls seemed very thorough i couldnt search/find any ZA files but i will run the uninstaller just in case.

(But i will try the live chat support first of all ~ no reply from the email support people not even an aknowledgement that a email was sent ~ how rubbish.)

J

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>dark_lord wrote:
    no reply from the email support people not even an aknowledgement that a email was sent ~ how rubbish<HR>Hi!Then you have not submitted it correctly or your ISP has filtered it out. Anautomatic reply is sentafter 5 minutes of the submission of the web form!Use a free mail service like hotmail or gmail and check in the SPAM folder. ZA always reply.Please refrain from postingfalse information... thanks.Fax
    </BLOCKQUOTE>

dark_lord Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:

<blockquote>

<hr>

dark_lord wrote:
    no reply from the email support people not even an aknowledgement that a email was sent ~ how rubbish

<hr>

Hi!
    Then you have not submitted it correctly or your ISP has filtered it out. An
    automatic reply is sent
    after 5 minutes of the submission of the web form!

Use a free mail service like hotmail or gmail and check in the SPAM folder. ZA always reply.
    Please refrain from posting
    false information... thanks.

Fax

</blockquote>

<hr></blockquote>

&gt;Please refrain from posting false information... thanks.

Hard as it may be for you to believe, I used the ZA form submit you get when live chat is not enabled. The first attempt returned an error. The second attempt seemed to work but no acknowledgement was received.

I have no problems with my email inboxes or email services. My judgement as a developer is that the problem is probably with the ZA website and customer service agents.

UK law specifies that goods sold must actually work, be fit for purpose and be of merchantable quality which this download is obviously not.

And buddy I have a postgrad degree in IT (as well as business.) I have no motive in making this up.

I will try a ZA live chat agent ~ in the meantime stick to giving helpful, technical advice and don't pretend to have a crystal ball :-) and make narky comments. I will be keeping screens of this conversation.

I would settle for a previous version that actually installs without having to waste hours troubleshooting it on behalf of developers who have obviously released this download before testing it sufficiently.

Would a previous working version be available in these circumstances? ~ they usually are!

Webmaster

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>dark_lord wrote:

Hard as it may be for you to believe, I used the ZA form submit you get when live chat is not enabled. The first attempt returned an error. The second attempt seemed to work but no acknowledgement was received.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Equal to --&gt; it was not submitted or the ISP junked it. There is not other explanation. The system is automatic and you get a ticket number after 5-10 minutes. Use a free e-mail to test. Try the live chat, ZA support is theonly one that will be able to troubleshoot your issue. Note that we are all user here, no ZA staff. And if you are not happy with a software ask for a refund, no use to post it here. This is not a complaint office :8}Cheers,FaxPolitiness cost nothing and gain everything

Message Edited by fax on 07-09-2009 12:53 AM

dark_lord Guest

..the chat agent says the 'fix' advice in the thread is appropriate in this case.

If it fails further support will be available....

thank you

Webmaster

ps It is a tribute to the fact that i think the software is actually, generally and usually quite good that i am here bothering to request advice!

dark_lord Guest

Report on uninstall and install instructions.

These instructions received on the forum and endorsed by 'live chat tech' have not resolved the issue.

I have written up what happened below - this took me nearly a full working day to get nowhere! Rather disheartening

I have not followed this up
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...hread.id=86992
    - because, 'This fix is for my Vista Ultimate PC.'

Any further advice, fixes, comments are welcome. I wil refer this thread to live chat tech again.

Webmaster

--

Pre install phase
    Notes: using the ZA av uninstaller the first two times seemed to leave no folders according to Search
    - went to this next phase as per advisory

&gt;First remove ZA AV with the ZA removal tool (download on desktop and run as administrator):
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe

- OK and restarted pc

&gt;Double check that all ZA related files/folders are gone:
    re 6) there was no folder
    re 11) as above
    re 16) as above
    re 19) ok
    re 20) ok
    re 21) ok
    re 22) ok
    re 23) uninstalled spybot s&amp;d installation (a previous run of this detected only a IE file and transfer setting firewall exception that is a security risk but no bugs)
    re 24) ran appremover but it detected nothing on pc
    re 23) ran both of these
    - Superantispyware reported nothing
    - Mbam did not detect anything but gave two ambiguous outputs that probably mean that a seeting deviated from a default setting more here
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/i...howtopic=18970
    - judged that this is not a problem
    25) ran ccleaner ok

Install phase
    &gt;26). Re-download the ZA AV installer
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...400_020_en.exe

&gt;27) Install with default settings do NOT alter them.
    - did this.
    - Rebooted
    - ZA AV still giving the tooltip msg 'protected and ui initializing' / vsmon flashes on and off in Task manager / za interface not available

Tried restarting a couple of times but - no change

&gt;After re-boot go to ZA antivirus/antispyware and 'Update Now' and do not restore any previous ZA settings.
    - could NOT progress to this.

Note: also had to use restart button on physical box as it start / turn off pc failed to give the shutdown restart OS interface window!

Uninstall 2
    Went back to the beginning &gt;First remove ZA AV with the ZA removal tool (download on desktop and run as administrator): http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe
    - went through the whole removal procedure again
    - appreware only detects the malware assistants

Shut down pc using physical on/off button and did a cold restart which resolved getting back the shutdown restart OS interface window!

End of report

---

Footnote: http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=33469
    It should be noted that &gt;Have you received an AutoGenerated Confirmation Email with your Case Number from support at zonelabs dot com.. (Preferably with IE Browser)
    = implies that the live assistant and form submit are IE specific, hence it may not work in mozilla firefox which was my experience further up in this thread.
    Recommendation
    - This should be highlighted to users.

dark_lord Guest

Default 3rd tryRe: zaZAAVSetup_en version installation hangs on protected and ui initializing

I followed a new set of instructions from the live agent tech but the issue remains unresolved.
    the instructions and my actions are below.
    There seems some ambiguity in the size of the vsdatant.sys file ~ perhaps this can be clarified!?
    J
    ---
    Charlie: Please try the following:
    Charlie:Charlie: 1.) Ensure you have the installation file for the latest version of ZoneAlarm savedto your computer from the link below:
    Charlie:Charlie: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...400_020_en.exe
    Charlie:
    &gt;should be http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...400_020_en.exeCharlie: 2.) Click Start --&gt; Computer
    Charlie: 3.) Click Tools --&gt; Folder Options --&gt; View Tab
    Charlie:
    Charlie: NOTE: If you cannot see the menu bar with the Tools menu on it, you have to pressthe Alt-key on the keyboard and the menu bar should be visible.
    Charlie:
    Charlie: 4.) Make sure the box to 'Hide File Extensions for Known File Types' is un-checked,and then click Apply and OK.
    Charlie: 5.) Once this is complete, right-click the zasuitesetup file, and change theextension from .exe to .zip. So the current version's file name should be:
    Charlie:
    Charlie: zaSuiteSetup_80_298_035_en.zip
    &gt;or in this case zaAvSetup_80_400_020_en.exe
    Charlie:
    Charlie: 6.) Double-click this file and locate the vsdatant.sys file. There may be more thanone; the vsdatant.sys file we need will be 346KB in size.
    &gt;results- winrar extraction seems to overwrite copies and leaves 357kb version
    - xp unzip shows 3 - 357kb / 300kb / 333kb- this is where reality deviates from the instructions
    - selected 357kb vs.datant
    Charlie: 7.) Copy this file into the directory --&gt; C:\Windows\System32\driversCharlie: 8.) Reboot and see if there is any change in ZoneAlarm
    &gt;Result
    No change ~ still hanging
    - ran uninstaller again
    - checked system32\drivers on reboot and vsdatant.sys was gone too
    - experiencing problems again bringing up the shutdown restart window!!
    - button shutdown, cold restart and restart to resolve!
    ---

Hi!also try the other suggestion given originally. Including for example booting only with ZA and the OS standard services. Are you using ad-hoc skin on the system?1.) Click Start -&gt; Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor, and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computerHow does it work?
    NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.
    For the rest you need to follow up with ZA support, no use to keep double/tripleposting here (you can edit posts and revise the text)Also try to install the new beta to see if the issue is still there.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 07-10-2009 08:54 AM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information