Thread: Downloading problems ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

funkyuncle Guest

Default Downloading problems ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

First, I'm using Windows XP. I purchased ZA Extreme Security July 15 and spent the better part of the day and part of the night trying to install the program to no avail. I downloaded the program with no problems, but when I went to install it several problems occurred, most notably my icon for ZA Pro disappeared from the desktop and a reference to it in add/remove windows pane also disappeared. I mention that because one of the problems says I need to close True Vector before I can install, but I can't find ZA Pro to uninstall. I searched and found several files in the ZA Pro but none had an .exe extension. I tried removing the folder and all references to ZA Pro, purged them all with Window Washer and then tried to install again.

Here's what happens when I do that. The installation starts and appears to be working fine, then a dialog box comes up that says "True Vector has encountered a problem and needs to shutdown." It requests that I send off the info to Windows, which I do and then I close the box. I get that dialog box again and again I send the info of to Windows. Then I get a dialog box that says "The installer cannot shut down your current version of ZoneAlarm. To resolve this, please restart your computer and then restart your upgrade." I do that and then and close the box, only to get it again. Again I close it, and then I get another box that says "The file C:\Documents and Settings\Marty\local settings\Temp\07160995132\GLF7.imp (or lmp) could not be opened. Then I get a dialog box that says "The system must restart to complete the installation."

So, I restart my computer, restart the installation and all the above happens again, and again and again. I tried to seven times before giving up last night and tried twice more this morning to do the same and to no avail.

I think what might be stopping me from installing is a running version of ZA Pro, but I can't find it to shut it down. I don't see it in task manager under processes and I can't find a file anywhere to shutdown the running program, if that is indeed the case.

Help, please.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Default Re: Downloading problems ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Hi!please see below the full instruction to remove any traces of previous ZA and install successfully ZA Extreme. You can skip the virus checking if you think you are not infected by malware.Ensure your XP is fully updated up to the latest service pack (SP3) and all updates.First remove ZA left overs with the ZA removal tool (download on desktop and run as administrator):http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exeDouble check that all ZA related files/folders are gone:01.) Restart your computer
    02.) When you see the screen go black and it starts booting back up keep
    tapping the "F8" key (at the top of your keyboard)
    03.) This should bring up a menu. Choose Safe Mode off the menu by
    using the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight Safe Mode and press
    Enter
    04.) If you get a message asking to go to Safe Mode, choose Yes. If you
    get a help and support window, close this.
    5.) Double Click the Program Files Folder
    6.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes

NOTE: If you cannot delete the entire folder, please open the Zone Labs -
    > ZoneAlarm folder and delete out as many of the files listed here as
    possible.

7.) Close this window
    8.) Click Start, My Computer
    9.) Double Click the C:
    10.) Double Click the Windows Folder (It may also be WinNT)
    11.) Right Click the Internet Logs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
    12.) Double Click the System32 Folder
    13.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
    NOTE: If you cannot delete the entire folder, please open the Zone Labs
    folder and delete out as many of the files listed here as possible.
    14.) Click Start, Computer
    15.) Double Click C:
    16.) Double Click the Program Files Folder17.) Double Click the Checkpoint Folder18.) Right click onZAForceField folder, click Delete, and choose Yes19.) Clear your Temp Directory per the instructions below.

- Go to Start -> Run
    - Type %temp% and click OK
    - Select all of these files and delete them

20.) Clear the Prefetch folder per the instructions below.

- Go to Start -> Run
    - Type Prefetch and click OK
    - Select all of these files and delete them21.) Empty your recycle bin.
    22.) Restart the computer.
    23.) ZA does not play nice with many other security tools. They may block its correct functioning including updates. For example, spyware doctor, spysweeper, trojan hunter, win patrol, PCtools Threat Fire, Mcafee, Norton, Symantec, Adaware, SpybotS&D, WinPatrol, AVG, Avas t free, NOD, Kaspersky and manyothers. If you want to troubleshoot issues with ZA please remove these tools (not enough to disable) and install back (if you really need) only after you see your ZA is working as it should.24.) Double check you have really removed all other security tools by running this utilityhttp://www.appremover.com/23.) Check the system for malware. Check with MBAM and SuperAntispyware. See links here:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=378725). Clean your system and registry with ccleaner.comhttp://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds/downloadbinslim26). Re-download the ZAX installerhttp://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...SPSetup_en.exe27). Install with default settings do NOT alter them. After re-boot go to ZA antivirus/antispyware and 'Update Now' and do not restore any previous ZA settings.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

funkyuncle Guest

Thanks, Guru Fax, that worked. I couldn't find several of the items, such as the internet logs folder nor the Zone Labs folder, nor the checkpoint folder, but whatever, it worked. So thanks a bunch.

You're welcome! Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information