Thread: Message alerts for programs aren't sticking, even if I check to remember setting, etc.

fervid Guest

Default Message alerts for programs aren't sticking, even if I check to remember setting, etc.

Along with the Update issue everyone is having (Although, lately it actually does complete...but doesn't update anything including the last update date), I'm also having an issue getting it to remember Allow/Block settings for programs. Some apps I just want to give permission to get internet or be a server, etc, so I click the check box, then Allow on the alert box...with the latest version though it is like the check box is backwards. If I check it the thing keeps popping up, then if I take the check off it doesn't ask anymore like it should be since it isn't supposed to be remembering, but the app is still blocked??? When I look in the app list the thing still has a ? in the list for all fields like it totally ignored me. When I manually put the check there it is fine, but having to go to the program list everytime is annoying...not to mention every app I run getting added to the list. Maybe ZA could default to not adding the app to the list if no block or allow options were selected...that is the app only has ?'s since those are the ones I manually delete to clean the list. Could maybe keep them for current session, then delete them just in case it is a fullscreen app and we have to go in later and change options after running it.

Message Edited by fervid on 08-09-2005 11:11 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:6.0

ndmommie Guest

Default Re: Message alerts for programs aren't sticking, even if I check to remember setting, etc.

I was also having the same problem you were, after uninstalling and installing again. If I had remember checked the same box would pop up over and over again until I unchecked it. Nothing seemed to stick, even my manual settings upon reboot. Ijust now reinstalled the last version and I'm happy. If anyone else was having the same problem we were, I couldn't find it on these threads. Also I couldn't find any way to contact tech support with an email. The help online is horrible. Couldn't find anything relating to this problem. Does anyone know an email address for tech support? I purchased Zone Alarm Pro and upgraded the last 3 years. I used to be able to contact them. Maybe I just couldn't track it on their web page.

fervid Guest

Default Re: Message alerts for programs aren't sticking, even if I check to remember setting, etc.

Don't feel too bad...I'm on the Beta team and reported the issue below like 3 times now with no change. What was really odd is I had no issues with like the last 2 betas...then the Release gives all the problems, so it has to be one of the last things they added???The Privacy settings for Removing Private Header Info and Pop-Up/Pop-Under are still removing the wrong information:

GET /test.htm HTTP/1.1
    Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/vnd.ms-excel, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/msword, */*
    Referer: http://127.0.0.1/
    Accept-Language: en-us
    Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
    If-Modified-Since: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 04:34:45 GMT
    User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)
    Host: 127.0.0.1
    Connection: Keep-Alive

GET /test.htm HTTP/1.1
    Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/vnd.ms-excel, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/msword, */*
    Referer: http://127.0.0.1/
    Accept-Language: en-us
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)
    Host: 127.0.0.1
    Connection: Keep-Alive

The first is the request IE sends with no settings and the second is what sends when the settings are turned on. They are blocking "Accept-Encoding:" and "If-Modified-Since:". Pop-Up/Under shouldn't be blocking either of these, and Removing Private Header Info should be blocking Referer: and User-Agent: plus if you really wanted to you could still block the Accept-Language: and Accept-Encoding:, but that would most likely do more harm than good...the first two are all that is needed.

If-Modified-Since should never be taken out though cause it makes the cache files useless and everything is downloaded no matter what. I'm not sure how you guys have this setup to remove, but it isn't going to work if you use a line index or something cause they can appear in any order. The case of the letters seems to be the same though on each browser, so you need to just look for "Referer:" or "User-Agent:" at the start of each line to block that line. If you wanted to be 100% sure you could use a UCASE or something so no matter what case it is in the filter will catch them.

Message Edited by fervid on 08-11-2005 10:40 PM

rwstimpson Guest

Hi, I'm running ZAP, TVSE and Driver versions all at 6.0.631.003; Antispyware engine 4.0.9.7, file 01.200508.111Win XP Pro SP2 All hotfixes current as of 11.Aug.05I'm having this problem with a security alert telling me HIGHc:\program files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Plus\Ad-Watch.exe (Ad-Watch System Protector) event=0 subevent=0 class=1when I click on "apply this setting.." to accept all of these messages for Ad-Aware, ZA Pro 6 ignores them and I get this pop-up every 5 minutes.Please, no suggestions about simply de-installing Ad-Aware, at the moment ZA has not proven its pedigree yet in this area; Firewall - there's no question it is excellent.This indicatesa bug in the ZA product - does anyone know a solution or when the fix will be released? ThanksBob

hadenough Guest

I'm here too - I just registered here on the forum for this very problem - 6.0.631.003 upgrade issuesI've beena happy, satisfiedZAP user for the last several years, on two WinXP machines, and justpurchaseda new desktop machine which I'm having to make decisions about -This latest ZAP upgrade install has not gone well on either of my two existing machines - I've tried the upgrade option; the clean install option; removal and reinstallation,... Nothing results in the program operating correctly. The best I've been able to get so far seems to be proper functioning with the exception of alert window problems. "Nonresponsive" alert windows - clicking on an alert window (with the "remember this setting" block checked) results in the window closing followed immediately by an identical (same ID, app, and source IP) alert window popping-up. In some instances, specifically noted while running Spybot upgrade checks, it's an endless loop - the window keeps popping-up as fast as you can click to close it. Another seemingly related problem ishaving analert window pop-up at some point later, despite (that same alert window) having been "allowed" previously with the "remember this setting" option clicked. My minimally educated mind tells me this smells like a cookie-related type of problem - for some reason, needed cookies are not being set or kept, failing to record the selected settings... Until this is rectified, I'm going to uninstall this latest "upgrade", and continue running 5.5.094.000. I'll check back later and see how things are going.Y'all take care"hadenough"WinXPNAVZAP Ad-AwareSpybotSpywareBlasterSpywareGuard

janmartin Guest

Have similar problem: CTFMON.EXE and ZLCLIENT.EXE. The first one is Microsoft component, operates clipboard, langauage settings, speech settings and similar. I don't need that but it can't be disabled (I didn't try to delete the file though). Zlclient.exe is component of ZA. Now I get following popup:
    -----------
    c:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe (Zone Labs Client) event=0 subevent=0 class=1 (""C:\WINNT\system32\ctfmon.exe" ","","")
    ------------
    After checking "Apply this setting to all suspicious behaviours exhibited by this application" the popup FREEZES. I am not able to click ALLOW button any more and I can't shut down ZA, because it became unresponsive. Then I have to restart computer to get rid of the frozen ZA. This problem started since my last months update of ZA to 6.1.737. Before I had version 6 but I didn't have this problem> It really **bleep**s and I don't know what to do, since I didn't keep the previous versions. Closing CTFMON.EXE helps, but only till the next restart of computer, because this is system component, as I already mentioned.
    I wish there is help with this frustrating issue. Thanks.

fervid Guest

Yup, CTFMON gives major problems. It is actually an Office Application. When you install Office or going back in to change settings, just uncheck the language tools and voice command/recognition stuff.

Thread Information