Thread: BEWARE: ZoneAlarm 6.0 Free consumes GB of virtual addressing...

redstreak Guest

Default BEWARE: ZoneAlarm 6.0 Free consumes GB of virtual addressing...

As a Zone Alarm user since the late 90s, I've become a little lax about jumping on updates of the software because it always requires a restart of all the systems it is on (I have many). So, I put off upgrading from 5.5 to the September 6.0 release until Friday. On the one system I upgraded at that time, I had nothing but sluggish system until I went back to 5.5 this morninng.

As soon as my system rebooted after the upgrade to 6.0, the performance of the system slowly degraded. I'm a device driver engineer on Windows, and so am quite familiar with the page file and virtual addressing. I popped up Sysinternals Process Explorer, and did a quick check of processes, and didn't see anything **bleep**ing up much CPU. So, I added working set size, virtual size and private bytes to the display, and then went through the list again. VSMON.EXE was **bleep**ing up 1.7 GIGABYTES of virtual memory. The next nearest virtual size was 180 MEGABYTES. Red flag.

I thought maybe it was a wierd fluke, so I went in, made sure all the rules were set up correctly, and then rebooted.

Within 10 minutes after my system came back up, I was crawling again. My development tools were sluggish, and sometimes unresponsive for several seconds at a time. So, I looked in Process Explorer again, and again, VSMON.EXE was **bleep**ing up 1.5 GIGABYTES of virtual memory. So, I shut down Zone Alarm, and waited until VSMON went out of the process list, and then the system was back to normal.

I'm behind a NAT router, so at that point, there was not as much risk to shutting down the firewall. I don't recommend doing that on an open direct connection at all. It would take only .33 seconds to get blasted with a new bug with no firewall doing port blocking for you.

In any case, I found that if I started ZA back up, it would degrade the system performance noticeably within 10-20 minutes every time.

So, I finally yanked 6.0 out, and put 5.5 back in and am running on that now. I'm not sure if ZA 6 got built wrong or if it just had a leak in the memory engines somewhere, but it is completely unuable for me.

BTW, on 5.5 the virtual size is 70 MEGABYTES -- 4.12% of the virtual footprint of 6.0.

Hope I'm alone in these problems, but if your system just got really sluggish after you upgraded to 6.0, grab Process Explorer FREE from http://www.sysinternals.com/ and turn on the "virtual size" column on the main display, and see how VSMON.EXE's virtual size is stacking up against the other things in your process list. On my system it jumped right out at me...

-- RS

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

britneyluvr Guest

Default Re: BEWARE: ZoneAlarm 6.0 Free consumes GB of virtual addressing...

Did you report that to tech support?

percyboy Guest

Hi, I have been having trouble with True Vector for a couple of months down but due to IT ignorance I didn't bother to try and solve it until now. I desperately need to help. I am not completely inept and do understand my way around a computer but when it comes to some of the suggestions on this messageboard my skills are limited. So my problem is sending/receiving emails, True Vector encounters a problem a shuts down. It is becoming pain in my you know whatsy. Is uninstalling and reinstalling the only method of correcting the problem? I don't have a disk to reinstall, I guess I do it off the Net again like I did the 1st time?? I am hoping there is a genius out there that can offer some simple advice. Thanks, Eva

westsiderailway Guest

i have downloaded process explorer and , i am not sure by what you mean by"turning on visual mode".i click on an process and then goto the top menu and select process and select properties and i can select a graph from the window that pops up.??

andrevk Guest

Hi,I have the same problem.I have ask technical support the following question :Product Name=FREE ZoneAlarm
    Product Version=6.1
    Description of technical Issue=
    Why take vsmon.exe so much memory ? On disk 1654kb and on memory 154872 kb and is still growing. (now already 313700kB).I receive also the (translated) message "no sufficient virtual memory" Pagefile.sys is also growing and is now +- 2Gb How can I stop growing VSMON.EXE ?greetingsAndr

andrevk Guest

VSMON becomes "stable" at about 14,960kB after changing the following :1. Turn Basic mailsafe off
    2. Turn off the Anti-Virus monitoring
    3. Change to manual check for updates.
    4. Stop ZA and start again.Andr

lirong Guest

Thanks I am having similar problems. I would hope that ZA is working on a release that fixes these issues.To clarify:When you say Turn off anti-virus monitoring what do you mean? Do you mean just completely turn-off anti-virus on its tab? If so, how do I use the anti-virus protection of this package to avoid infection?
    Thanks.

Thread Information