Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ZA 61 737 000 Blocking Windows Update

albertf Guest

Default Re: ZA 61 737 000 Blocking Windows Update

hi chiawaikian,Set all the update.microsoft.com permissions to a tick in Privacy, cleared cache and no luck, the windows update page still gets blocked (Tried MS's site again with za off and windows firewall on just in case they might have had it down but the update worked that way, so it must still be something to do with this latest ZA.Just noticed, to be exact, what happens is when I click on Windows Update, IE goes to windowsupdate.com and after about half a second switches from that to the http://update.microsoft.com/microsof....aspx?ln=en-us. At that page it starts normally, showing the "Checking for ... "message, and then after about 3 seconds it overwrites that with the message about the problem,so the impressionI get is that what's actually being blocked is maybe something to do with Windows calls to fetch and download that standard checking program that looks at what versions of everything you've got so it can tell what you need. Don't know if that makes a difference to what you'd suggest trying.Was wondering if I did a Windows uninstall of this latest ZA would I be able to go back to the last version of it, to see what hapens with that and what it set things to, I've still got the download for it, only sometimes new versions can do things in the registry, etc., that make going backwards difficult, and as this is a security program I don't want any left in situ markers or whatever triggering my pc to lock up because they think someone is trying to get into my machine?

albertf Guest

hi chiawaikian,Had a look around ms's forums. Looks like several people having same problem,seems to be that all the latest zap's "privacy" routines host the windows update check site into nothing. Easiest fix is to set all three privacy controls to off when doing a manual windows update and then set them back to wherever one had them when the update'sfinished. Don't know if windows auto-update will be affected.Ms's forums seem to expect za to do a fix for it as it's not a defect caused by windows.Think it needs to be dealt with because, if I'm right, the windows autoupdate only does critical updates and you have to check through the start or ie6 > windows update links for any optional updates you might want.

This is definitely a problem with ZoneAlarm.How about this:Go to the Privacy tab. Move both Cookie Control and Ad Blocking sliders to Off. This will effectively turn off Privacy.Clear your cache and try updating again.

albertf Guest

Hi Chiawaikian,Already done it, posted about it earlier, guess you didn't see it yet, it's what they are saying to do on ms's forums, they reckon its za's problem to deal with the defect.Thanks for all the time you spent on it for methough, I'm off to bed now, just noticed its 4 in the morning, no wonder i'm starting to feel a bit drowsy, time just evaporates surfing doesn't it.All the best.

I think what ZoneAlarmusers with Windows update problems can do currently is just turn off Privacy.Let's hope ZoneLabs will solve this issue soon.

navyone Guest

chiawaikian:Just seen your post regarding turning off both sliders in Privacy.I tryed that and still cannot connect.I also found out that along the same lines, I can't download the "User Guide" for ver. 6.1 ZASS from the Technical Support Page at ZA Labs.For both "Windows Update" and the "User Guide", when attempting to connect it simply goes to a "white screen". The address bar shows the proper address and the Windows Task Bar at the bottom of the screen shows "Done" as though a connection had been made.I've sent email to Zone Labs about it so maybe we'll get some info, but would guess not until Monday.

flyyourway Guest

Have you disabled Mobile Control?

albertf Guest

Hi Navyone,Yes, you'll need to switch off all three on the Privacy page. But I'd suggest, if you normaly want them on, then have them on their defaults (Use "Custom" button for that if you need to) so the top two's sliders are visible, and then for an update you can easilly turn all three off, do the update, and set them back quickly.

navyone Guest

albertf & FlyYourWay:Yep, I have turned off Cookie Control, Ad Blocking and Mobile Code Control on the Privacy page. It didnt do a thing for me. I still can't connect with Windows Update or ZA User Guide.

albertf Guest

Hi Navyone,It might sound daft but:1: Have you got any other popup blocking type program of any sort, only I use PopUpCop and haveit set up to be quite strict in what it allows, and quite often I have to set it to minimum for downloads or whatever, and several times I've had white-screens that worked ok once I'd done that.2: One thing you could try is Start > Control Panel > Security Centerand in that set the windows firewallto on (do that first to ensure you will always havea firewall operating), then turn off za (second), and then see if the windows update link now works. If it does then zais still causing you problems even with privacy off, if it doesn't then because you'll have za switched off completely it must be something else somehwere in your setup that's doing it.When done don't forget to switch za back on before you switch the windows firewall off, and if it turned out that za really must be the only causeof the problem maybe try reinstalling za using the clean install option and letting it set everything using its own internal defaults, and if you've made any za settings back upin its Overview> Preferences page don't retore those untill you know you can do the windows update with privacy off.If it turns out the windows update problem is still there using windows firewall then I'd suggest carry on with that firewall only and straightway ask for help on the microsoft forums. Because in that case I'd reckon the first thing you need to do is make sure your windows is ok, and then when that's done you could look at this za one again.Can't suggest anything else really as I'm no great expert on these things myself, only picked up odd bits from here and there. But I'd say do the above even if only to verify your windows is good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information