Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TrueVector spontaneous shut down

alisonnic Guest

Default TrueVector spontaneous shut down

I have Windows XP Home and ZoneAlarm Pro. I upgraded to ZAP 6.1.737.000 a few days ago.Last night I left my computer running overnight. This morning when I looked at it, I found an OSpopup that TrueVector had shut down, and did I want to send details to Microsoft. The ZoneAlarm tray icon was dark and had a big X in it.I sent the details to Microsoft and immediately ran ZAP's anti-spyware scan. Now I'm running a complete Norton AV scan.I'm concerned that while ZAP was down overnight (it went down at 1:17 AM, and I found the problem at 8:10 this morning) my computer may have been compromised. I'm on a cable modem connection, behind a Linksys router with NAT and a built-in firewall, but I'm still a bit worried.Is there anything else I can do to make sure my computer wasn't attacked or hacked while ZAP was down? Also, what can I do to make sure ZAP/TrueVector doesn't crash like that again?---EventViewer message:Event Type:Error
    Event Source:Application Error
    Event Category100)
    Event ID:1000
    Date:11/28/2005
    Time:1:17:22 AM
    User:N/A
    Computer:LOTUS
    Description:
    Faulting application vsmon.exe, version 6.1.737.0, faulting module vsruledb.dll, version 6.1.737.0, fault address 0x000233d7.For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
    0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
    0010: 75 72 65 20 20 76 73 6d ure vsm
    0018: 6f 6e 2e 65 78 65 20 36 on.exe 6
    0020: 2e 31 2e 37 33 37 2e 30 .1.737.0
    0028: 20 69 6e 20 76 73 72 75 in vsru
    0030: 6c 65 64 62 2e 64 6c 6c ledb.dll
    0038: 20 36 2e 31 2e 37 33 37 6.1.737
    0040: 2e 30 20 61 74 20 6f 66 .0 at of
    0048: 66 73 65 74 20 30 30 30 fset 000
    0050: 32 33 33 64 37 233d7

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.0

alisonnic Guest

Default Re: TrueVector spontaneous shut down

Drat! The same thing happened again today at about 3 pm!This never happened before I installed the new version of ZoneAlarm Pro.I'm really worried! I can't have the computer sitting around with no firewall running. That's the whole point of buying ZoneAlarm! If it keeps going down without warning and can't restart it self afterwards, what's the point of having it?Is anyone from Zone Labs reading this forum? Is there a fix in the works, or is it time for me to ditch ZAP and go to another product?

steve_pitts Guest

I upgraded to ZA Pro 6.1.737.000 over the weekend, and I see a similar issue, includinga crash overnight and another this evening. I don't get any entries in the event viewer, but then I'm running on Win2K rather than XP, but I do get aDr. Watson log (that is too big to post here, apparently - I've even tried splitting itin two)

rschummer Guest

I have received the same exact error during one of my 4 GPF crashes of the True Vector since installing over the weekend.

Would really like to get a fix for this.

Rick

micvic Guest

Hello all, Sorry to be repetitive, but I am suffering the same problem since installing the latest ZAP offering two days ago. Can anyone at Zone Labs help - please!MicVic

zulu Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>alisonnic wrote:
    I'm concerned that while ZAP was down overnight (it went down at 1:17 AM, and I found the problem at 8:10 this morning) my computer may have been compromised. I'm on a cable modem connection, behind a Linksys router with NAT and a built-in firewall, but I'm still a bit worried.

<HR>

If you're behind a decent router you have very little to worry about unless your system had already been compromised prior to the TrueVector shutdown. Check your ZoneAlarm logs and notice (hopefully) that the Firewall logs are basically nonexistent. On a normally configuredsystem the router blocks all inbound attacks, leaving ZoneAlarm with basically nothing to do except keep track of outbound connection attempts(listed in the Program logs). If this isn't the case it's most likely because you have deliberately opened ports in your router, in which case you can start to worry a bit more.

Of course, if your system has already been compromised then it may have been "phoning home" all night and doing who knows what. But most likely you would have noticed this behavior earlier, as ZoneAlarm would have warned you repeatedly that such-and-such program was trying to contact the internet and you would have realized that something was not right with your system.

Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to update your antivirus and run a full scan of your hard drive.A full antispyware scan wouldn't hurteither (Microsoft Antispyware beta is a good bet if you don't already have something). Also, check your outgoing email logs just in case a worm wassending mail on your behalf.

If you weren't already behind a router I would suggest turning on the Windows Firewall until the TrueVector problem is solved. On most systems the Windows Firewall doesn't conflict with ZoneAlarm Pro and both can run at the same time. Note that you have to turn off the "Disable Windows Firewall" setting in ZoneAlarm to do this.

As far as preventing TrueVector from crashing, I'm not sure what to suggest. It's probably a software conflict of some sort, but it's going to be tough finding a pattern if you can't duplicate the problem. I have heard that some people have had luck with this problem by turning off Automatic Updates (in Overview: Preferences).

Incidentally, I plugged in a simple on/off switch (available in most hardware stores for about $4.00) under my router's power supply. I switch it off, thuscompletely cutting off my internet connection, whenever I plan to be away from my computer for extended periods. Maybe this is overkill, but I do sleep better at night. </BLOCKQUOTE>

denzil42 Guest

Same problem here. TrueVector service shut down about 5 minutes after startup. This is the second occurrence in 3 days. This latest shutdown occured just after completing a virus definitions update of Norton Systemworks 2005 via the Symantec Intelligent Updater.Running ZoneAlarm Pro 6.1.737.000 on Windows XP SP2. Fortunately, the system is also protected by a Linksys BEFSX41 router and its hardware firewall.Any chance Zone Labs can figure this out and fix it?

denzil42 Guest

More info gathered as TrueVector service shut down yet again.

Error Signature

szAppName: vsmon.exe
    szAppVer: 6.1.737.0
    szModName: vsruledb.dll
    szModVer: 6.1.737.0

offset: 000233d7

This time the shutdown came about an hour after computer restart.

steve_pitts Guest

Folks,
    Using the
    Instant Support feature from the Technical Support page for ZoneAlarm Pro, I found the following statement:
    "If you are experiencing problems with the TrueVector service shutting down unexpectedly, please perform a clean uninstall and reinstall of ZoneAlarm. Click here for step by step instructions. If you have performed a clean uninstall and the problem persists, please email Technical Support for further assistance."
    Having followed the instructions (and thereby lost all my existing rules - partly out of choice, I did take a backup and could have restored them, but felt that I might just be restoring whatever was causing the problem) I have
    thus far not had a recurrence of the problem, although it is too soon to tell if the problem is definitely solved. I'll post here again in a few days to let you know if it holds up.
    Cheers, Steve

popa Guest

As all the previous messages I have suffered from this True Vector problem, have many times followed ZA advice and done a clean uninstall, cleaned out the registry and done a new download and install, all to no avail. ZA seem to be ignoring this problem altho' they say they found it last June and acted on it. I recently put in a brand new Hard Drive (nothing cleaner than that) installed the latest version of ZA prior to going onto the net. Guess what, within 20secs up comes the message TrueVector Shut Down. No other programs had been installed just Windows XP.So as you say, whats going on at Zone Alarm? One thing for sure I shan't purchase it again. Back to good ols Norton.OldPop

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information