Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TrueVector spontaneous shut down

auldian Guest

Default Re: TrueVector spontaneous shut down

The same issue here since the upgrade.Event Type: ErrorEvent Source: Service Control ManagerEvent Category: NoneEvent ID: 7034Date: 12/1/2005Time: 8:10:47 AMUser: N/AComputer: COYOTEDescription:The TrueVector Internet Monitor service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

socalreviews Guest

I have a TrueVector shutdown problem alsoalong with other problems !(Running on all of the computers IhaveXP Pro SP2 , a Linksys NAT router, andI am using NSW 2003 active and fully updated, MS Antispyware, and Webroot Spy Sweeper 4.5). I I did a clean installationupdatefrom ZAP 6.0.667 to version ZAP 6.1.737 on my main machine and it seemed ok at the time so Iupdated three other machines the same way. Then after using my main machine more I noticed random connectionproblems while runningFirefox 1.07. The next day I saw the TrueVector service had spontaneously shut down overnight on one of the other three machines. I have a Linksys NAT router protecting allthe machines so luckily it wasn't too much of a security risk. Then after restarting ZAP 6.1.737 on that same machine it happened again ! True Vector service shut down , along with a Windows XP error message, so I restarted again and about ten minutes later it happened one more time ! So I did a clean uninstalltion and a clean reinstalltion of ZAP 6.1.737 . After at least 24 hoursso farthe True Vector service shutdown has not happened again. However, I began experiencing some major problems on my main machine that I first tried the new ZAP 6.1.737 on. I have been experiencingserious issues with being able to use FF 1.07. The IE 6 browser ran fine but FF 1.07 wasdefiinitely not working properly. So I did a clean uninstallation of ZAP anda clean installation ofZAP 6.0.667.Now everything is running perfectly again on that machine and I will be waiting before upgrading to any newer version.I will be removing the new ZAP onthe other three machines and reverting back to ZAP 6.0.667 for all those also. It seems as though thereare some compatibility issues with the new version ofZAP and I hope that these are fixed in the nextrelease.

doxiedad Guest

Same problem here. Shuts down at least once a day. It took a long time to configure ZA Pro the way I have it and I don't want to have to do it over. This is obviously a problem with the 6.1 upgrade and they should issue a *real* fix for it.

zulu Guest

I think it would be helpful for everybody if some of you guys who are "lucky enough" to be experiencing regular TrueVector shutdowns would try some diagnostic procedures. How abouttrial by elimination? For example, shut down all the extra features of ZoneAlarm (including the so-called OS firewall) to see if it makes any difference in your frequency of TrueVector shutdowns. Just turn off everything you can, leave ZoneAlarm in plain vanilla mode for awhile and let's see what happens. To turn off the OS firewall in ZoneAlarm Pro, go to Program Control, Custom, "Enable OS Firewall" and uncheck it. If possible, simplify the rest of your system as well. Turn off any unneeded programs that might be in conflict with ZoneAlarm. Not forever, just for a short while for testing purposes.

rschummer Guest

The Zone Lab folks can figure out what is going on just by getting the dumps we are sending via the Dr. Watson reports (the built in OS error capturing). Each of these reports posted here are identical to the ones I am getting so there is plenty of detail for the taking. I am shocked it is taking them this long to figure out what is going on. I also know they can ask Microsoft for more detailed dumps so repeated problems can ask Dr. Watson to provide more details. This information is available to Zone Labs, Microsoft does not hord this information and contrary to popular belief, they work hard with software companies to resolve these conflicts and things that trigger instability on our computers.

I am a software developer and I can tell you these dumps are taken quite seriously by other software companies. There is no reason Zone Labs cannot get moving on this and provide us a patch.

I am not going to randomly change settings or turn off software I use all the time. It is obvious by the postings here and on the poll that 6.1 broke something in a bad way.

If they want more details they can ask as well, but no one is contacting me for more information.

denzil42 Guest

I doubt any of we who experience the problem can troubleshoot by elimination any more effectively than "popa", who did the cleanest reinstall possible, as he reported two days ago. The suggestion that the rest of us all go wrecking our carefully crafted computer systems is a non-starter.

zulu Guest

Wrecking is a pretty strong word for turning something off temporarily. And if your carefully crafted system is misbehaving, don't you want to troubleshoot it? One of the first rules of troubleshooting is to simplify the problem so you can narrow down the possibilities. I would rather know something specific, such as "ZoneAlarm's OSFirewall function is incompatible with certain software configurations", than have a vague suspicion that something is wrong and not know quite how to deal with it other than by uninstalling ZoneAlarm.

denzil42 Guest

It's reasonable that you would prefer to have a definite software conflict to trace, but I must again refer to the "popa" message where he indicates he installed, on a clean HD, only Windows XP and ZoneAlarm Pro 6.1.737. After going online in that "clean" configuration, he experienced the TrueVector shutdown. What software conflict does that sound like? The Windows firewall? Internet Explorer? Windows XP? Or ZoneAlarm Pro 6.1.737?

I've back-installed ZA Pro to the 5.5.094 version and will wait for a ZA Pro fix or, if none appears, a different software firewall.

zulu Guest

I agree that Popa's experience is an important indicator of where the problems may lie, but obviously TrueVector doesn't crash on every installation, so something is different about his system. The problem could well be hardware related, i.e. ZoneAlarm may have problems with a particular chipset or video card. Or perhaps the problem is related to unpatched systems, since it sounds like the crash may have occurred before Popa had a chance to apply all the Windows updates. Or it could also be related to a hardware problem, i.e. a bad memory module, etc. We're never going to figure any of this stuff out unless we compare notes. Rather than just saying "ZoneAlarm caused a problem on my system, so everybody stay away, it's a piece of junk", we ought to be looking for common features on the systems that it causes problems on. I'd rather do this than wait (possibly forever) for ZoneLabs to tell us what they know. Popa, you still there? Any details you could add would be interesting. Did you do a clean Windows XP install from the product CD? Did you disable certain services or perform any other tweaks that are not commonly done? Is your internet connection reliable? Is yourPC normally stable and trouble-free? Did you have time to apply the Windows updates before the crash? What mobo/chipset/cpu/graphics adaptorare you using? etc. etc. For the record, I installed ZoneAlarm Pro 6.1.737.000 on my system without incident and so far it has been trouble-free.I did a clean install over the previous version. However, I don't use the AntiSpyware component, the Antivirus monitoring or the ID lock and my Privacy settings are minimal. My system has always been extremely stable, which I attribute mostly to my hardware, but I'm also very careful not to mess it up with questionable software. I always check the boards before installing or upgrading new software and I always take a fresh image with Norton Ghost first. I saw on this board that a lot of people were having problems so I took a bit of a chance on the ZoneAlarm upgrade, but of course I had my Ghost image to fall back on so it wasn't really much of a risk. I would recommend that anybody planning to update or clean install ZoneAlarm should prepare their systems in advance. At the very least make sure System Restore is turned on. If possible use an imaging program such as Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image to take a fresh image of your C drive. And if your system has a record of instability or if you have experienced significant problems with ZoneAlarm software in the past thenmaybe you should wait until things are sorted out a bit more. I also strongly recommend using a NAT router as your first line of defense, in conjunction with ZoneAlarm. A good router can provide incredible protection against unsolicited inbound attacks and it will basically never crash on you. It's also handy while you're updating your software firewall, as you will remain protected even when the software firewall is removed. -ZuluLinksys BEFSX41 RouterIntel D815EEA2U motherboardIntel 815 chipsetIntel PIII 866 CPU512 MB Crucial RAMonboard graphicsonboard soundWindows XP Home SP2, fully patchedNorton Antivirus 2005 (with worm protection disabled)Windows AntiSpyware BetaZoneAlarm Pro 6.1.737.000 (with antispyware disabled, antivirus checking disabled)

Message Edited by Zulu on 12-03-2005 08:49 AM

socalreviews Guest

There might be a conflict with hardware or it could be other software whether it be other antispyware or antivirus. Regardless of that the fact is that the latest release was one of the most problematic ones in recent memory. I had installed it on four different machines. One a Pentium III with XP Home, SP2, MS Antispyware and Norton 2003. The others were AMD Athlon XP based systems. After installing ZAP 6.1.737 on all of the systems I noticed problems connecting to machines on the local network and problems with the internet connection as well as computer slowdown on every system. Two of the machines experienced the TrueVector service spontaneous shutdown problem. There might be a connection with that specific problem since both those machines are running Webroot's most recent Spy Sweeper version 4.5 , build 656. However, neither of those computers had problems while running ZAP 6.0.667 either before installing 6.1.737 or after uninstalling 6.1.737 and reinstalling 6.0.667. After reinstalling 6.0.667 on all four machines all of the previous problems I have described went away and now all the network and internet connections work perfectly again. Common sense would lead me to believe that there are definite incompatibility and stability problems with ZAP version 6.1.737. I don't mind that they are trying to improve ZAP with each release and I like the idea of making it work with as many programs as possible. But it doesn't make any sense to be to release a version of ZAP that improves function with 1% of the ZAP user's computers while causing new problems with 30-50% of the ZAP user's computers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information