Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ZA 61 737 000 Blocking Windows Update

albertf Guest

Default ZA 61 737 000 Blocking Windows Update

Hi,System: Desktop PC with Win XP SP2 Home Edn and ZA Pro from the ZA 61 737 000 file I downloaded yesterday.Problem: With Windows Firewall switched off, then Start > Windows Update > opens IE6 which tries to go to the Windows update site but IE6 puts up "Error number 0x80072F76" which Windows Help says means a firewall has blocked IE6 from accessing the relevant Windows Update webpage.Tried: Never happened before with earlier ZA versions, and must be the new ZA Pro doing it because if I switch on Windows own firewall and turn off ZA then IE6 gets straight through to the Windows Update site with no problem at all, but it gets blocked again if I switch back to ZA and turn off the Windows one.Query: Anyone know please if there is anything I should do in the ZAP options (presently all on their install default settings) before I start fiddling around in IE6 and other stuff?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.0

Default Re: ZA 61 737 000 Blocking Windows Update

Make sure your Mobile Code control is turned off when you attempt to update and give Generic Host Process Server Rights in the Trusted Zone and full Access rights.

albertf Guest

Hi Chiawaikian,Had a lookat the Mobile Code Control, it's definitely been off all the time,mine is a desktop machine so I've never needed it on, tried it once but it blocked too much stuff.I'm not sure what you mean by the rest of what you said, do you mean that when IE6 gets to theWindows Update site http://update.microsoft.com/microsof....aspx?ln=en-usthen ZA should put up one of its playing card type alert signs that I should check and say ok to?PS:1. Have also just tried the Windows Update link in the Tools menue of IE6 but that gets blocked as well, so I think the actual shortcuts I'm clicking on here must be ok in themsleves.2. The v6 address above is not in IE6 Tools > Internet Options > Security > Trusted Sites > List, it has its https box checked and only four entries in it: *.update.microsoft.com, *.windowsupdate.microsoft.com, office.microsoft.com, and officeupdate.microsoft.com. I tried to add the v6 address in it but a message came up to say that address is already in another zone, but I've looked in the other three zones and can't see it anywhere in those! Not sure if that's to do with a changeMS made to their update thing a few weeks ago, where if you have Windows and Office when you do an update check it now checks for updates for both lots of software so you don't have to look for updates for them individually, could that have anything to do with it?3. I've also checked my hosts file and as far as I can see the v6 site is not mentioned in that.

Ok, I will elaborate more on my instructions.Go to ZoneAlarm > Program Control > Programs and find the entry Generic Host Process from the list. Give it two ticks under Access, and under Server, give it a tick in Trusted.Don't hesitate to ask if you need further help.

albertf Guest

Hi Chiawaikian,Had a look, Generic Host Process already had the three ticks in it, complete line reads:Generic Host Process for Win32 Services "System, 3 bright green blocks, tick, tick, tick, cross, cross"If that's what ZA usually sets it to then it's been like that all the time?

albertf Guest

PS: By sheer chance I've just had one of MS's periodic "one million and one things you can do with Windows INDOWS INDOWS OINDERan emailf orm MS hd

Yes, that is the default.Does ZoneAlarm Pro have a tab called Privacy?(I'm not very familar with ZAP)

albertf Guest

Don't know what happened with that posting (!) but I was trying to say in it that I've just had one of MS's periodic things to do with Windows emails and at the bottom it gives the usual links to update sites, and I tried the link that says "Microsoft update", no change, it goes to the V6 site which still gets blocked the same way.

albertf Guest

Hi Chaiwaikian,Yes it has Privacy tab, in that part it has a table, its columns are:SiteEdited (most entries show a pencil symbol, think it means ZA has put them in but I'm not sure about that). Mobile CodeCookie Control (Three sub cols Session, Persistent, 3rd Party)Web bugsPrivate HeaderThere's about a dozen sites listed in it, all from whatever ZA automatically allows in mine, leastwise I haven't knowingly made any changes to it.Typical entry:Zonelabs.com, pencil symbol, tick, tick, tick, tick, cross, cross.Only one I can see that might be relevant is:update.microsoft.com, blank, tick, tick, tick, cross, tick, crossBut that's not the V6 site.

I believe the MS update is http://update.microsoft.com/microsof....aspx?ln=en-usThus, give update.microsoft.com all ticks. Clear your cache, and try accessingMicrosoft Update again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information