Thread: taskmgr.exe trying to connect to the Internet

Hybrid View

holtxa Guest

Default taskmgr.exe trying to connect to the Internet

Yesterday I started getting ZoneAlarm alerts that taskmgr.exe is trying to access the Internet. The Program Control windows says that this taskmgr.exe is a 45 KB file in c:\windows, but I can't find this file. The real taskmgr.exe is a larger program in c:\windows\system32.Taskmgr.exe is trying to connect to various Comcast URLs. We have Comcast cable service, but the other computers on our home network do not try to make such connections... and we have a router that is between the computers and the cable modem.I have run several Norton AntiVirus scans and Spybot spyware scans and they all say my computer is clean.What is this alert all about? Why did it suddenly start popping up, when I don't think I made any recent changes to my system?Thanks for any help.- Andrew

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

billc Guest

Default Re: taskmgr.exe trying to connect to the Internet

I do know why taskmgr.exe would ever need 'access'. Sounds strange to me. If the application is in your ZA Program List, right click on it, then click to 'remove' it. Now see if it comes back.

holtxa Guest

Thanks for getting right back to me, Bill.I tried removing this "taskmgr.exe" program from ZoneAlarm Program Controlthree times... and it came right back each time.The latest alert said it's trying to access 68.87.69.146.Under Alerts & Logs... there's a long list of taskmgr.exe attempts to send info out to a variety of web sites, including zonelabs.com and several comcast.net URLs.This does look like a virus or spyware... but all my scans are coming up clean.Also, I'm having trouble charing files with other computers on our home network... even though the IP addresses are in the trusted zone.Any other ideas?Cheers,Andrew

billc Guest

When you remove it from your Program List as you've said you've done, does it immediately add itself back without you doing anything? Also if you right click on it in your Programs List in ZA and then click on Properties, what information does it give you as to location, version, etc.

If you can find the file on your computer, go to Kaspersky File Scan , navigate to it , then scan it.

holtxa Guest

Bill,Yes, the program reapears and again asks for access to the internet within seconds after I remove it from Program Control.Under Entry Detail it says:Product NameFile Name

holtxa Guest

Bill,Yes, the program reapears and again asks for access to the internet within seconds after I remove it from Program Control.Under Entry Detail it says:Product NameFile Name C:\WINDOWS\taskmgr.exeLast policy update Not applicableVersionLast modified date 12/6/2005 19:35:46 (this is the first evening I got an alert)File size 45 KB (the real taskmgr.exe is over 100 KB)I've searched my entire hard drive twice without finding the 45 KB taskmgr.exe file listed on the Program Control page. So there's nothing to scan or delete.I've also used regedit tocheck my registry... and so far haven't found anything suspcicious under the software/windows areas.- Andrew

holtxa Guest

One more thing... I checked the URL it tries to access: 68.87.69.146It is owned by Comcast.

Thread Information