Thread: Excessive drive light writes and requests for acces to internets alerts.

rmcgrath Guest

Default Excessive drive light writes and requests for acces to internets alerts.

All of a sudden I have a drive light blinking every two seconds and Diskmon says its writing to my disk. I turned off Indexing service. I also will get a popup from Zonealarm saying such an such wants to access the internet. Its always a program I know is installed but I don't think it needs access. Its happens one or twice a day and seems to pick the program I'm currently using as the requestor.

I have used Zonealarm Suite, Ewido, Spybot and Adaware to check and all they comeback with is tracking cookies, no virus or worm. I was using IE but started using Firefox because of the amount of cookies that IE lets through.

Any ideas?

Robert J. McGrath

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Excessive drive light writes and requests for acces to internets alerts.

Hi Rmcgrath
    My advice is that you get a good port to process mapper to know what connections,processes,executives ,local ports and remote destinations and ports are being used. I use and recommend Port Explorer,it
    s very good but paid altough it has 30 days trial,however many people uses too TCPView from SysInternals and ActivePorts both free. It's the best way you know what is realling happenening with your internet connections.
    Best regards

rmcgrath Guest

Default Re: Excessive drive light writes and requests for acces to internets alerts.

Thanks, I tried them, Diskmon and a utility from PCMag called PortSnoop. Diskmon showed writing to the disk only. None indicated any excessive outgoing to Internet other than Outlook checking mail. I think what was the problem was Disk Fragmentation. I had used the XP supllied Defrag but decided ti by the $29 Diskkeeper software. It said I was massively fragmented. It ran over the holidays and this disk drive light has almost stopped blinking completely. I guess XP was trying to defrag in the background without asking me?

Cutting to the chase, Disks needing defrag in XP may start showing excessive disk activity as XP trys to defrag in the background. Diskkeeper worked very well for me and the "Home" version was just fine.

ad_hock Guest

Good to know you solved the problem.I agree, XP defrag tool is poor I use Perfect Disk 7. Still recommend you use a good port to process mapper to have full control.
    My best regards

Thread Information