Thread: System Error: Please Reboot

eejlbj Guest

Default System Error: Please Reboot

Ever since I installed a Cable Network about a month ago, one of my XP Pro computers(2 years old) will not run the free Zone Alarm(it worked fine before the modem switch). This computer is hard wired to the "gateway" so that isn't part of the problem. I have booted and rebooted again and again.I have tried the four Zone Alarm suggestions in their Help site and I have installed and uninstalled Zone Alarm several times, but I still get the "System Error: Please Reboot" message with the dreaded Red "X." I note that Bill Cherry suggested a clean Reboot, but when I copied and pasted that address as well as retyped iton the "target" window I got "The name specified is not valid..." Several have suggested reverting to an older Version such as 5.5???. So I don't know where to turn and I feel very vulnerable even though the gateway has a hardware firewall. Can someone pleasehelp me?Ed Jones

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:6.0

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: System Error: Please Reboot

Hi eejlbj
    If you already tried uninstall and install, tried Bill's suggestion,my best advice is do a clean uninstall and revert to version 5.5.094.Pay attention to the forum to see how things are going on.
    Best regards

vlatko Guest

I have the same problem. Installed the latest version of free Zone Alarm (6.1.737) on my sister's computer and the yellow X appeared. I deinstalled, did a clean reinstall, removed the databases, nothing.

Unfortunately, she had version 3-something before. (Don't ask, she didn't update her antivirus for a long time either.) So, no version 5.5 to fall back to.

BTW, the version before last created a mess on my computer. I did the upgrade and it killed Internet access for every single program that was set to Ask. It took half an hour for me to realise why I cannot download mail or surf the Web.

ad_hock Guest

Hi vlatko
    If you want to revert to version 5.5.094 follow this link to ZA history and you may download the version you want http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=39388#M39388

Best regards

vlatko Guest

Thanks!

I'll see how it goes.

ad_hock Guest

You're welcome
    Best regards

eejlbj Guest

I am about to give up trying to make the free Zone Alarm work on this machine. I have tried everything I know, everything I have read and everything someone has suggested on this forum to no avail. The only thing I haven't done is try to load V5.5. I have searched for that Version and often the site will automatically throw me back into a V6.0 version. I ran across several sites that will send either a free CD of 5.5 with some personal information or a 19.95 cost version. Has anybody gone that route? Also I read somewhere that if you have an XP with SP2(which I do) you don't need Zone Alarm anyway. What do you think about that? I do have a firewall that came with Comcast's router(gateway). Do you think that is enough?Ed

vlatko Guest

Zone Alarm is much better than the Windows firewall, which is very basic. And Microsoft in its infinite "user-friendly" wisdom doesn't tell what is going on.

And even if you have a hardware firewall, it is not a bad idea to have Zone Alarm, because that way you can control what is trying to access the Internet _from_ your computer. At least, you might discover you've got spyware or a trojan on your computer.

ad_hock Guest

Hi eejlbj
    Follow this link for the instructions on clean uninstall and links for the different versions of ZA. There you'll find ZA free 5.5.094 http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=39388#M39388
    Best regards

Thread Information