This newest release still BSOD's when a USB device is disengaged (regardless of what method is used). The earlier versions 5.xxx do not. The freeware version does not BSOD; therefore, I conclude the problem is in the additional functionality (spyware blocking?) which the version 6.xx added.

This release is known by me to function on other systems, including laptops.

I have seen postings in various forums from other Dell users with the same problem.

The BSOD reports that the module which crashes is usb.sys. I have looked for updated usb.sys and related drivers but have not found anything that worked.

It is quite troublesome to investigate various configurations because it is time consuming and because reinstalling the original versions of the firewall results in many settings being lost even when you save the settings.

The version 60_667_000 did this, too. I contacted tech support and supplied them with a complete memory dump and other information which they requested, and was advised that the problem would be identified and fixed. I had hoped that this version took care of that problem. Naturally I am disappointed and a bit frustrated.

Patience is a virtue. However, I have a subscription for this software, and the clock is running; if it takes a year to fix the problem (or if it is never fixed) then obviously I will not have got my money's worth. The software is not useful if I cannot install it.

I also am concerned because there are new exploits being discovered all the time which I think the newer versions of ZAPro might protect me from but which the older version may not.

So the answer to your question--NO! PLEASE ADVISE THE COMPANY if you have any contacts there.

Craig Butcher

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
Software Version:6.0