Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: lsass.exe/LSA Shell (Export Version) questions.

jasen1970 Guest

Default Re: lsass.exe/LSA Shell (Export Version) questions.

Yes, and we've no idea how to get rid of it. Well, I've got no idea at least.Jasen

maxsselfissteam Guest

I've done a clean reinstall of ZA in the meantime, and I have yet to get this message again -- infact, it hasn't appeared since the first two times I mentioned there. LSASS isn't listed in my program lists either at the moment. I've done the tests I mentioned (Norton Antivirus, Spybot S&D, Ad-Ware) again in safe mode, and I've done a system test with Kaspersky's online scanner, and everything seems to be ok. Weird.

jasen1970 Guest

Alright, I'll give it a shot!

maxsselfissteam Guest

I have no idea whether it really was the clean reinstall that got rid of the problem -- it's not like I reinstalled ZA immediately. Those two alerts I got seem weirdly random; they only appeared that one evening and haven't done so since (even before the ZA reinstallation).

tsuga Guest

I run a program called winpatrol-it gives an overview of whats running on your computer and LSA is active on my machine, zone has not asked for access again however. I would like to know what lsass.exe does exactly

jasen1970 Guest

Did an uninstall and clean install of the latest version. No more problems, yet, 3 starts and counting.Jasen

jasen1970 Guest

lsass.exe - Local Security Authority Service. "This is a system process of the Microsoft Windows security mechanisms. It specifically deals with local security and login policies."Google it and you can find out more.

vax Guest

Lsass.exe handles all of the following services.
    NETLOGIN (Used for logging onto a domain controller),
    NT LM SECURITY SUPPORT PROVIDER (Not needed unless you are running Message Queuing or Telnet server),
    IPSEC SERVICES(May be required on some domains, but the "average" user will not need this),
    PROTECTED STORAGE(Allows for the saving of local passwords or even web sites information (AutoComplete.) This service is set to Automatic by default. For security reasons, IT may be best to leave this "feature" disabled to make things all that much more difficult to steal vital information if you do not "save" it. On the other hand, you may need this service to manage private keys for encryption purposes. If so, leave this service on automatic to ensure the "higher" security settings you choose work. If you disable this service, you will no longer have any of your passwords saved, no matter how many times you click the box. If you enjoy having your passwords saved in applications like Outlook or Dial up networking or you are connecting to the internet via a domain controller/server that requires authentication, set this service to Automatic.),
    SECURITY ACCOUNTS MANAGER(Like Protected Storage, it saves security information for local users. This service is Required for IIS Admin. If you have ever used the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) to modify your settings, you need to keep this service running, otherwise, your modifications will not be applied.

You could try to identify which service is trying to connect to the internet by stopping each service one at a time run for a while and see if the ZA message stops. The only lsass.exe service I run is Protected Storage I stopped all the others after I got a message from ZA saying lsass.exe was trying to connect to the web site track.roiservice.com and I've had no similar messages since.

magical_trevor Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi MaxsSelfIsSteam, tsuga, jasen1970, Vax, Pianolady,</BLOCKQUOTE>Welcome to the Zone Alarm Forums, my name is Tony.1. LSA Shell (Export Version) anything to worry about? I don't think that its a problem here, mainly if your other security software says that is clear and your online scanning says that your computer is clear.

2. My settings for this is: Super Trusted, access - both ticked Server Trusted is ticked the rest is blocked

3. Probably the least important one: While doing research about that problem, I let Windows Explorer look for files containing the word lsass in my Internet Logs folder and opened safeprograms.xml afterwards (it opened in Internet Explorer) -- is it dangerous to open said file, i.e. might any settings be changed etc. simply through opening it? My answer is that if you dont know what the folder or file contains DONT open it\look in it

maxsselfissteam Guest

Thanks for the info! I'm still a bit worried though -- why did LSASS have permission even though I don't remember ever giving it access to the internet (I might be wrong on that, of course) and why did it only ask to be allowed to accept connections from the internet now after never having done so before? I guess my computer is safe right now, it's still weird though...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information